Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:12:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrinking supply & way to get at old coins  (Read 2361 times)
piramida (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:00:18 AM

A thought - with all weak hands sold off during the move from 100 to 500, there's a shortage of coins besides a few speculative ones rotating on exchanges & newly minted ones.

I'd imagine big players who would want into the game once it reaches 4 digits would need to incentivize current holders to sell. What do you think can be done here, to break into the big old stashes, if raising the value of one coin is not enough in itself?

I can see several possible attack scenarios. First of all, plant the notion that bitcoin is doomed - either by regulatory means or spreading high-level FUD, we've seen some early signs of that. Second, we would see more and more of luxury high-ticket items (islands, large yachts, planes) being sold directly for BTC. Third, there (probably already are) many organized hacker groups going after the current holders. Fourth, creating bitcoin "banks" - secure storage companies - to get some old coins from people who don't feel comfortable storing large amounts on paper, later bing nationalized / stolen.

Anything I've missed here? From what I understand, we're talking about more than 50% of all mined coins being cold and never traded atm, with a possibility to get reintroduced at random time and seriously disturb the markets, and that fuzzy situation would be considered a major risk factor by all serious holders, so it will be dealt with before any world-wide acceptance takes place.

i am satoshi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:18:21 AM

You forgot scams.
piramida (OP)
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:19:35 AM

You forgot scams.

Yeah but the owner of the coins need to really want to get up from the cold storage and move a portion to the scam artist, I wonder what could make him do that, imagining he's ok financially and don't have bills to pay.

Price is enough incentive.

For some people, yes, but even at the current levels, even selling 1k coins would allow you to more or less retire or at least take a job path that you like, so it won't incentivize you to spent the rest. Remember, those who still hold serious amounts of coins from single digits truly believe in the idea, no exceptions. I wonder what would move them to part with their precious Smiley

i am satoshi
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:21:15 AM

I have not a lot of them but I will certainly sell them (not all at once) when it is really be "life changing" for me.
Unfortunalty it will not happen before 10/50k per coin...
+1
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:33:50 AM

Everyone has a price.  Everyone.  Mine is US$10k.  If bitcoins hit US$10k each I'll sell all of mine to all comers.  Until then I'll hoard and not spend a satoshi.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:01:25 PM

Everyone has a price, but to many it is priced in BTC Grin

As Erik Voorhees said, "I already cashed out." There's no reason to sell for dangerously confiscatable, freezable, capital controlable, untransportable, undeniable fiat or gold.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:21:43 PM

I have not a lot of them but I will certainly sell them (not all at once) when it is really be "life changing" for me.
Unfortunalty it will not happen before 10/50k per coin...

It's been "life changing" for the big holders meant here for a long time now. Clearly price alone isn't enough for some. And what would be the point of cashing out more than you might reasonably ever spend? So the people still holding on to tens of thousands of BTC are looking for something else, if they're looking at all. What that may be, probably depends on the individual.

Expect to see some pretty off-the-wall pet projects in the future...

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:27:37 PM

Expect to see some pretty off-the-wall pet projects in the future...
That's what I would do if I had plenty of money...
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:10:14 PM

Everyone has a price.  Everyone.  Mine is US$10k.  If bitcoins hit US$10k each I'll sell all of mine to all comers.  Until then I'll hoard and not spend a satoshi.

This is why bitcoin is a commodity, not a currency. As a currency btc could be great, as a commodity I am not so sure.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:17:03 PM

Everyone has a price.  Everyone.  Mine is US$10k.  If bitcoins hit US$10k each I'll sell all of mine to all comers.  Until then I'll hoard and not spend a satoshi.

This is why bitcoin is a commodity, not a currency. As a currency btc could be great, as a commodity I am not so sure.
explain yourself please
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:19:45 PM

As Erik Voorhees said, "I already cashed out." There's no reason to sell for dangerously confiscatable, freezable, capital controlable, untransportable, undeniable fiat or gold.

^this
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:24:03 PM

This is a landgrab. Bitcoin barons, lords of the manor, kings of their castles will not be selling off very much of their land for any price.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:58:15 PM

Sure but he and others will spend it.  Nicer house, nicer car, gifts to loved ones.

piramida (OP)
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:00:45 PM

This is a landgrab. Bitcoin barons, lords of the manor, kings of their castles will not be selling off very much of their land for any price.

Yes that's my point, old coins don't move anywhere, only getrichquick noobs sell. However, currently society works in such a way, that no wealth make any sense without power - even incredibly wealthy people who are forced to move to a new country get stripped down pretty quickly, unless they manage to regain power - political or military. With bitcoins, there are emerging wealth hubs that have zero power behind them. This is an imbalance that will have to be solved somehow, or the system would turn over on it's head. I know this is the outcome we all want, however I believe the system has very much resilience and will put up a fight.

Do we need to form a new independent country, which runs on bitcoin, and has (outsources) it's own military? Smiley I know it's a bit far-fetched now, but one day this may actually become a serious question. How the bitcoin kings are going to protect their turf.

i am satoshi
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:01:52 PM

A smart guy would get into the luxury goods business or start a supercar dealership and accept bitcoin. At this rate there is going to be a LOT of rich nerds out there.

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 08:21:39 PM

Old age will probably be a motivator some day... Whats the point of having all the coins if you're not going to live to enjoy them?

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:22:25 PM

Easiest way of getting old coins is to pump and dump an altcoin.

MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 08:24:53 PM

Thats a high price my friend by anyone's measure.  When do you think we will reach that?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:19:37 PM

Thats a high price my friend by anyone's measure.  When do you think we will reach that?

573 days

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:42:09 PM

573 lol.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: