Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:19:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much of a bubble is this?  (Read 5458 times)
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:25:38 PM

As a few smart people have wisely pointed out, people are not buying Bitcoins to spend them.  I mean, how stupid do you have to be to believe that.  Let's look at it:

Scenario A:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  She goes to her favorite online store, types in her debit card number and her debit card is charged. TV arrives in about a week.

Total Cost:  $500
Total Time:  ~ 1 week

Scenario B:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  Mary also heard the hype on a new technology called Bitcoin and figured this is the best payment method for her.  So, Mary goes on Coinbase and purchases $500 worth of Bitcoin and pays 1%.  Then she waits a week.  When the Bitcoin's finally arrive, she goes to her favorite online store, only to find that they don't accept Bitcoin.   Grin

Scenario C:

But lets assume her favorite store does take Bitcoin.  Cheesy  Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  Mary also heard the hype on a new technology called Bitcoin and figured this is the best payment method for her.  So, Mary goes on Coinbase and purchases $500 worth of Bitcoin and pays 1%.  Then she waits a week to get her Bitcoins.  And it's a good thing because it will take Mary at least that to figure out how to safely store her new Bitcoins and download the blockchain.  Or, maybe she just stores them on Coinbase, which is the ideal way to store Bitcoins anyway.   Roll Eyes  When the Bitcoin's finally arrive, she goes to her favorite online store, pays for the TV with her $500 worth of Bitcoins and the TV arrives in about a week.

Total Cost:  $505
Total Time:  ~ 2 weeks

Moral of the story.  GET REAL!  There is no Bitcoin "adoption" because there is almost nothing to adopt.  You can barely use them.  Cash and debit cards are FAR superior to Bitcoin's, as it relates to making everyday transactions. The day may come where this is no longer true, but that day is not today, nor any day during this bubble inflation.  The is pure speculative buying.  People are simply looking to get a high ROI.  If you believe anything contrary to that, you are delusional and I would NEVER take advice from you because you simply do not live in reality.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
djalexr

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:31:46 PM

I totally believe that 99% of the bitcoin buyers are like this, does anyone really believe that all the people buying BTC through exchanges and forcing the price up are doing so because they want to spend it - really, how, where.

It does seem to me that the vast majority of money flowing into bitcoin right now is not to be spent on the current selection of good and services.

However...how much does day to day spending using as a currency/the bitcoin economy etc. REALLY matter?

The parallel between bitcoin and gold is often drawn. Nobody buys gold to spend it on a coffee. It has value despite the fact you can't use it to buy things off Amazon...so perhaps although bitcoin is technologically capable to be used as a day to day currency (with quite a bit of  additional infrastructure development and merchant acceptance) it may warrant a high value even if it is not being used in this way.

wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:34:50 PM

This bubble keep inflating and inflating. I wonder how it will pop. Oh, I know. Hard and violent!

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:35:36 PM

As a few smart people have wisely pointed out, people are not buying Bitcoins to spend them.  I mean, how stupid do you have to be to believe that.  Let's look at it:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.
<snip>

Mary has some savings.  She can put them on the bank, and earn less than inflation, or she can put them in bitcoin, losing 1% one-time.
After a few years, Mary decides she wants to buy a TV.  In a freak occurrence, in contrasts to all previous years, bitcoin didn't return massive gains, but gained only a few percent to compensate for inflation.  Mary happily buys the TV with her bitcoin.  She then decides to receive her future paychecks in bitcoin, negating the conversion fees.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:39:02 PM

You guys fail to see the real value of Bitcoin and why is rissing so fast.

Right now is a fantastic long term Store of Value, the currency side will start to grow in use after the price is more stable in a few years.

A currency that fluctuates anywhere from 10% to 80% in one day is a horrible store of value. It`s far too voiltile now to have any confidence in future valuations. In order for it to stabilize, people need to actually use it to purchase goods and services, not just speculate. I just don`t see the need for people to convert their fiat to bitcoin, costing them fees, so they can buy Subway sandwiches.

Nobody who has held for 18 months or more has taken a loss.

I`m sure a beanie baby collector in 1996 would have said the same thing.  Smiley

Right, because beanies babies are useful, like a censorship resistant digital currency with a hard supply limit and bounded inflation.

Hey, people took their beanie babies seriously back in the day Grin I expect that in a few years, the word "bitcoin" will be in the same league as beanie babies, as a failed investment vehicle that people latched onto in hopes of a huge ROI that fizzled out. I don`t think bitcoins will go away entirely, and they very welll could be used for similar utility as today (ie. engaging in illegal online activities such as drugs and crimes against children). There will be online articles about how people paid $500 for one "coin", believing that it was the dawn of a new era, but eventually people realized that there was no good reason to obtain them, and many people lost their shirts as a result when values fell back down to a few dollars per coin. People will wonder... what the hell were they thinking?

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:40:49 PM

<snip>

Mary has some savings.  She can put them on the bank, and earn less than inflation, or she can put them in bitcoin, losing 1% one-time.
After a few years, Mary decides she wants to buy a TV.  In a freak occurrence, in contrasts to all previous years, bitcoin didn't return massive gains, but gained only a few percent to compensate for inflation.  Mary happily buys the TV with her bitcoin.  She then decides to receive her future paychecks in bitcoin, negating the conversion fees.

And what happens if when she wants to buy her TV the value of Bitcoins have crashed such that the same coins can now only buy her a pocket radio?
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:44:55 PM

Moral of the story.  GET REAL!  There is no Bitcoin "adoption" because there is almost nothing to adopt.  You can barely use them.  Cash and debit cards are FAR superior to Bitcoin's, as it relates to making everyday transactions. The day may come where this is no longer true, but that day is not today, nor any day during this bubble inflation.  The is pure speculative buying.  People are simply looking to get a high ROI.  If you believe anything contrary to that, you are delusional and I would NEVER take advice from you because you simply do not live in reality.

Says the guy with incorrect grammar and whose ignore button glows ever brighter Smiley
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:24:02 AM

<snip>

And what happens if when she wants to buy her TV the value of Bitcoins have crashed such that the same coins can now only buy her a pocket radio?

Better pocket radio than nothing.
No seriously, Bitcoin is risky investment as some stocks are
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:01:08 AM

at the end of the day, if you want to know what bitcoins true ultimate number one utility is, the one utility that makes it so that even if it had not one single other use case than it would still be valuable, this news article makes it pretty obvious.

http://autos.aol.com/article/gold-bars-hidden-car/

THIS is why bitcoin changes everything.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
samurai1200

Activity: 303

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:32:30 AM

at the end of the day, if you want to know what bitcoins true ultimate number one utility is, the one utility that makes it so that even if it had not one single other use case than it would still be valuable, this news article makes it pretty obvious.

http://autos.aol.com/article/gold-bars-hidden-car/

THIS is why bitcoin changes everything.

+1 and also because this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

Hodl for the longest tiem.

Use it or lose it: http://coinmap.org/
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 05:36:48 AM

As a few smart people have wisely pointed out, people are not buying Bitcoins to spend them.  I mean, how stupid do you have to be to believe that.  Let's look at it:

Scenario A:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  She goes to her favorite online store, types in her debit card number and her debit card is charged. TV arrives in about a week.

Total Cost:  $500
Total Time:  ~ 1 week

Scenario B:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  Mary also heard the hype on a new technology called Bitcoin and figured this is the best payment method for her.  So, Mary goes on Coinbase and purchases $500 worth of Bitcoin and pays 1%.  Then she waits a week.  When the Bitcoin's finally arrive, she goes to her favorite online store, only to find that they don't accept Bitcoin.   Grin

Scenario C:

But lets assume her favorite store does take Bitcoin.  Cheesy  Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  Mary also heard the hype on a new technology called Bitcoin and figured this is the best payment method for her.  So, Mary goes on Coinbase and purchases $500 worth of Bitcoin and pays 1%.  Then she waits a week to get her Bitcoins.  And it's a good thing because it will take Mary at least that to figure out how to safely store her new Bitcoins and download the blockchain.  Or, maybe she just stores them on Coinbase, which is the ideal way to store Bitcoins anyway.   Roll Eyes  When the Bitcoin's finally arrive, she goes to her favorite online store, pays for the TV with her $500 worth of Bitcoins and the TV arrives in about a week.

Total Cost:  $505
Total Time:  ~ 2 weeks

Moral of the story.  GET REAL!  There is no Bitcoin "adoption" because there is almost nothing to adopt.  You can barely use them.  Cash and debit cards are FAR superior to Bitcoin's, as it relates to making everyday transactions. The day may come where this is no longer true, but that day is not today, nor any day during this bubble inflation.  The is pure speculative buying.  People are simply looking to get a high ROI.  If you believe anything contrary to that, you are delusional and I would NEVER take advice from you because you simply do not live in reality.

You leave out...

During those 2 weeks, bitcoin appreciates 20%

Total cost: $505
Time: 2 weeks
Left with $100 in extra bitcoins.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:49:15 AM

You leave out...

During those 2 weeks, bitcoin appreciates 20%

Total cost: $505
Time: 2 weeks
Left with $100 in extra bitcoins.

Or depreciate 20%.   Roll Eyes

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

Activity: 111

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:36:20 AM

Or depreciate 20%.   Roll Eyes

Coinseeker, your example is completely invalid considering "Mary" could purchase 10 btc INSTANTLY using Coinbase. Mary could purchase her TV and refurnish most of her home with that 10 btc if she wanted to.

Coinbase has always had the instant buy option, did you just happen to forget that for a better argument? You do have a point in the current state that BTC is in, but you're comparing a young, developing, 4 year old BTC system to the financial system that has taken 100+ years to build. Of course BTC is not going to be there 100% yet. GET REAL Wink
freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:46:22 AM

Scenario A:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  She goes to her favorite online store, types in her debit card number and her debit card is charged. TV arrives in about a week.

Total Cost:  $500
Total Time:  ~ 1 week

Scenario B:

Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  Mary also heard the hype on a new technology called Bitcoin and figured this is the best payment method for her.  So, Mary goes on Coinbase and purchases $500 worth of Bitcoin and pays 1%.  Then she waits a week.  When the Bitcoin's finally arrive, she goes to her favorite online store, only to find that they don't accept Bitcoin.   Grin

Scenario C:

But lets assume her favorite store does take Bitcoin.  Cheesy  Mary wants to buy a new TV.  That TV costs $500.  Mary also heard the hype on a new technology called Bitcoin and figured this is the best payment method for her.  So, Mary goes on Coinbase and purchases $500 worth of Bitcoin and pays 1%.  Then she waits a week to get her Bitcoins.  And it's a good thing because it will take Mary at least that to figure out how to safely store her new Bitcoins and download the blockchain.  Or, maybe she just stores them on Coinbase, which is the ideal way to store Bitcoins anyway.   Roll Eyes  When the Bitcoin's finally arrive, she goes to her favorite online store, pays for the TV with her $500 worth of Bitcoins and the TV arrives in about a week.

Total Cost:  $505
Total Time:  ~ 2 weeks

Moral of the story.  GET REAL!  There is no Bitcoin "adoption" because there is almost nothing to adopt.  You can barely use them.  Cash and debit cards are FAR superior to Bitcoin's, as it relates to making everyday transactions. The day may come where this is no longer true, but that day is not today, nor any day during this bubble inflation.  The is pure speculative buying.  People are simply looking to get a high ROI.  If you believe anything contrary to that, you are delusional and I would NEVER take advice from you because you simply do not live in reality.

What about for making payments and money transfers abroad? Banks charge very high fees for wire transfers. There are also high fees if you use Western Union. And with both of those methods, there is usually a significant delay before the recipient gets their money. With bitcoin, you can transfer money instantaneously and with only a tiny fee or no fee at all.

Also, the reason there is not much commerce yet using bitcoin is because it's still in the phase of being used as a high-growth investment vehicle. That phase isn't going to last forever. The growth rate will gradually decrease until eventually the price levels off at some kind of an equilibrium with fiat currencies -- maybe only some very small annual increase after that, because bitcoin will still have a lower inflation rate than most government-issued money. At that stage, people won't just hoard it anymore, because other investments will have a greater ROI. Maybe that point will be reached in 3 to 5 years, at a MUCH higher price than today.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
Siegfried

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:57:55 AM

I totally agree with this. I buy Bitcoins because I think they'll go up not because they're any use to me. I totally believe that 99% of the bitcoin buyers are like this, does anyone really believe that all the people buying BTC through exchanges and forcing the price up are doing so because they want to spend it - really, how, where.

I believe that speculation solves a catch-22, notably, how do you get people on board a currency and use it, when there is nothing to use it on? Well...the speculators get on board first, whether it's driven by greed, or a dream, or whatever. But now that early speculators, or even investors that have produced large profits, have some wealth, they will begin to want to spend it. Why? Because, you have the choice of either cashing out your winnings and paying a hefty gains tax on it, or directly spending the coins into something you want.  And the market will respond by offering items for those speculators that they can pay in bitcoins directly. And we're already seeing this happen: it's cumbersome, for the most part, at least for now, but remember, you can't solve the catch-22 otherwise.

Exactly.
eindbaas

Activity: 70

umad?

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:06:16 AM

I wish I could hold my money bit I have to cash out Smiley. I invested when the coins where 120 dollars . Now I can start my dream job finally. I'm opening few webshops wich I will accept bitcoins! Thanks bitcoin to start my life Smiley
batcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

In Gord We Trust

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:03:03 AM

I wish I could hold my money bit I have to cash out Smiley. I invested when the coins where 120 dollars . Now I can start my dream job finally. I'm opening few webshops wich I will accept bitcoins! Thanks bitcoin to start my life Smiley

This is excellent to hear! Congrats and let us know when you have your shops open.

If you have more than 0.01BTC and complain about early adopters, please consider donating to this address: 1P11Dz4mhDcJvetHqEJu35KNEVqSRmqo3b
General Tips: 1P4YfrYwQKKtfwszzb2aHgLVLiWQCrJfwi
Kaliecious

Activity: 246

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:08:54 AM

how many other threads are you going to repeat this in?

oyeTorry

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 10:20:49 AM

Anyway it is nice to have few next places to spend Bitcoins on. I was worrying the price rise is just pure speculation, but it can drive the Bitcoin useability at web shops as well

Kaliecious

Activity: 246

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:36:19 AM

Anyway it is nice to have few next places to spend Bitcoins on. I was worrying the price rise is just pure speculation, but it can drive the Bitcoin useability at web shops as well

if I was a webshop I wouldn't be able to accept btc with the large fluctuation in price. it would have to be imediant conversion into cash or I could lose my ass. purchase a product at 3 a lb and then sell at 3.75 just a few points moving puts me at a loss.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: