Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:33:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offering Web hosting services [Web/SSH]  (Read 2158 times)
jamesb (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 06:39:29 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2011, 08:35:21 AM by jamesb

Hi all,

I'm quite new in the bitcoin community and happy to announce I offer web services like hosting. It's at the moment my first serious attempt to use bitcoin for real services and hope you will enjoy. I'm open to any suggestions or questions you may have. Here is my actual services (see the web site for the actual prices):

* Web hosting:
      Simple hosting on our Linux Apache server with PHP, MySQL and FTP access. We offer a capacity up to 10 GiB, a network connection of 100 Mb/s at maximum and your site will be at yourprefix.james-b.ch as you wish.
    * SSH access:
      You will have access via SSH to our linux server to store up to 25 GiB of data and to run any program you want on it.

I'm not a professional but I have enough experience with unix, web hosting and servers to offer a decent service quality. I'm offering my service because my dedicated server isn't very used at the moment and I hope these services would help some people meanwhile I could earn some bitcoins (I have nearly none at the moment).

More information at http://www.james-b.ch/bitcoin.php and thank the community and developper of bitcoin for your continuous great work !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 07:27:30 PM

Can we run our own server on the ssh account? For example could I run a ruby rails server on the ssh account, and leave it running?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 07:30:41 PM

Can BC be installed on your servers?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 07:42:56 PM

I'll make a professionnal install and add two currencies of your choice for a modest 100 BTC fee (not counting SCI integration though).
Why get a copy when you can get the original ?! Cheesy

jamesb (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 07:44:16 PM

Can we run our own server on the ssh account? For example could I run a ruby rails server on the ssh account, and leave it running?

Good question. I think I'll use a chroot for the SSH I don't see any problem in running your own server like ruby on rails except the port number which must be greater than 1024 for non-root users. I think you would like to run a stand alone version of your ruby application in your chroot env right ? So when it's in your own user space I'm fine with it.

If you mean BitCoin (the binary) yes. The bitcoin version for linux runs fine but don't except to earn bitcoins by mining with my server. The difficulty is too high for a single CPU, it's not its purpose. If you want to make transfers, running a peer node: normal uses should be fine.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 07:45:44 PM

Can we use our own domain?

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 07:48:23 PM

Good question. I think I'll use a chroot for the SSH I don't see any problem in running your own server like ruby on rails except the port number which must be greater than 1024 for non-root users. I think you would like to run a stand alone version of your ruby application in your chroot env right ? So when it's in your own user space I'm fine with it.
Or you can just install mod_passenger for apache to run Rails apps as easily as PHP ones.

jamesb (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 08:41:50 PM

Can we use our own domain?

Yes. I will have to add an entry in bind to manage the DNS of your domain and create your proper folder architecture. You will have to configure your domain (with the registrar inteface) to use my DNS server. If you would like the full management of your domain (emails) we can discuss the price.

Or you can just install mod_passenger for apache to run Rails apps as easily as PHP ones.

Yes it's a possibility. I'll have to think about it because my server architecture with apache is working well. Introducing a new mod for apache needs testing and security adjustment. I think it's easier and more customizable when you run your own server.

Thank you for your interest.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 08:44:29 PM

Yes it's a possibility. I'll have to think about it because my server architecture with apache is working well. Introducing a new mod for apache needs testing and security adjustment. I think it's easier and more customizable when you run your own server.
That's like saying you'd rather host PHP websites using WAMP because mod_php needs testing ...

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 08:59:52 PM

That's like saying you'd rather host PHP websites using WAMP because mod_php needs testing ...

Don't be too hard on him, he's not an IT professional so he doesn't know.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
jamesb (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 10:54:36 PM

I think you misunderstand me. I mean: 1) I have to think about mod_passenger because I didn't use it until now. I know that mods have a lots of configurations to take care about. It's possible but not right now. 2) So (temporary) the solution is to run your own apache or whatever you want in the chroot I set up when you get into SSH.
I didn't mean to test the mod in a chroot. I mean that I will try it on my side. For the moment I won't install an apache mod until I have (a little) experience with it.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 11:15:33 PM

I think you misunderstand me. I mean: 1) I have to think about mod_passenger because I didn't use it until now. I know that mods have a lots of configurations to take care about. It's possible but not right now. 2) So (temporary) the solution is to run your own apache or whatever you want in the chroot I set up when you get into SSH.
I didn't mean to test the mod in a chroot. I mean that I will try it on my side. For the moment I won't install an apache mod until I have (a little) experience with it.
Very easy to setup, don't hesitate to ask me the day you feel like installing it.

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 11:59:28 PM

https://www.kalyhost.com/
I think this is the best webhost. They install any operating system for you in a virtual machine.
Dangler

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 03:13:18 AM

Would we be able to keep a java virtual machine running?
jamesb (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 02:56:48 PM

Very easy to setup, don't hesitate to ask me the day you feel like installing it.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it. Anyway I'm searching for something different than the usual PHP, so Ruby on Rails could be a good alternative.

Would we be able to keep a java virtual machine running?

Yes I see no problem in it. When I say I offer SSH access and "to run any program you want on it", so it should be clear that JVM is a program so yes. The only thing you have to do it is installing the JVM you want. I think I'll make a debian-based chroot because it is (/should be) easy to manage for anybody.
jamesb (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 07:08:08 PM

I just had a new idea with the SSH access I offer. Is there people which are interested having SSH access for short period like one/few hours for very little price ? The utility is to transfer files from two servers, download something quickly and volatile, mount a temporary NFS (why not?), temporary torrrent leeching/seeding or anything like this. Any suggestions ?
barwench

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2011, 07:47:35 AM

I just had a new idea with the SSH access I offer. Is there people which are interested having SSH access for short period like one/few hours for very little price ? The utility is to transfer files from two servers, download something quickly and volatile, mount a temporary NFS (why not?), temporary torrrent leeching/seeding or anything like this. Any suggestions ?

I thought about doing that with barwen.ch - then I decided that if I was going to the trouble of authenticating users with eg paypal, I might as well leave the accounts active the whole time and limit resources such as bandwidth, disk usage, etc rather than time that your account is enabled.

Seems an interesting idea to pursue though
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: