Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:21:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking a BFL Jalapeno to 32GH and beyond....(???)  (Read 54272 times)
MagnaGen

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:40:32 PM

Ive got 300 BFL chips in hand, willing to sell them for 0.05 btc each or will trade for Blue Fury / Red Fury Miners

PM me if intersted, Escrow OK!

thanks
elaramus

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:52:22 PM

@MagnaGen... pm sent. Wondering if that price includes shipping?
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:13:12 AM

Just contacted Magnagen and have a deal in the works to test, I should be able to get some chips shortly. So far it looks good.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:15:08 AM

Helldiver: If your chips are the little ones, then you probably have 1.2.9. Remember you have to compile it with LITTLE_SINGLE, and it doesn't fit in a 128mb chip.

C
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:38:38 AM

Helldiver: If your chips are the little ones, then you probably have 1.2.9. Remember you have to compile it with LITTLE_SINGLE, and it doesn't fit in a 128mb chip.

C

I did try 1.2.9, which I downloaded from somewhere. I don't remember where.  My Jally has the 256Mb chip OK. 

Could some kind soul post a .bin or .hex of 1.2.9 that I can just flash on that'll make my Jally go faster?  Grin

Or, how can I pull the firmware off my other factory 7GH Jalapeno and put it on the 5GH one?  They both look identical hardware-wise (both November '13 builds).
Drug5bitz

Activity: 123

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:50:43 PM

C

I did try 1.2.9, which I downloaded from somewhere. I don't remember where.  My Jally has the 256Mb chip OK.  

Could some kind soul post a .bin or .hex of 1.2.9 that I can just flash on that'll make my Jally go faster?  Grin

Or, how can I pull the firmware off my other factory 7GH Jalapeno and put it on the 5GH one?  They both look identical hardware-wise (both November '13 builds).

Sir, I'm going to try to say this as simple as it is. You open Atmel studios, open the 1.2.9 FW project. When it's loaded you click the build tab/build solution and it compiles. Click the tiny picture of the chip with the lightning bolt. select the AVR dragon the chip on your jalapeno AT32UC3A1256 then jtag and apply. If it needs to update let it. Go to memories erase the chips and reprogram it should have the FW file loaded there already. 2 minutes later you're done, you can run the jalapeno with the JTAG attached.

P.S. you need to define Little _Single instead of the usual Single. This file is in I believe STD_DEF.h right after you open the FW in Atmel studios

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

BTC Address 1DX24XAojH2qjAgFzbME81o9BD3yDjfGLR
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:11:35 PM

Ok, I know there are a lot of people reading this for every snippet. One of my rigs is doing 16 Ghs at 35-40C right now, and I've mounted 5 of my chips with no problems so far.

I've been thinking about offering my service free of liability of course. These tools can be expensive and if you aren't familiar with some aspects it can end horribly real quick.

Services I would like to offer
-Firmware Flashing 0.02 BTC
-Adding a chip to board 0.03 BTC EACH
-Adding a custom sink on bottom 0.02 BTC

This will all be at your own risk, if I finally bump something wrong don't try to sue me.  You will supply the unit(s) shipped to my door with return label printed already. Depending on further mods you will supply the chips thermal paste and heat sink if wanted. If you want to run 4+ chips you need a heat sink on bottom. I will supply thermal pads, flux and tools. I should be able to ship everything back within 48 hours. (I say this just in case I already have plans that day) Send me a PM if you're interested, I take great pride in my work, and I owe this community a debt for everything it has given.

I'm fine using escrow if anyone would like I've been there.

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

HellDiverUK

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:40:18 PM

Sir, I'm going to try to say this as simple as it is. You open Atmel studios, open the 1.2.9 FW project. When it's loaded you click the build tab/build solution and it compiles. Click the tiny picture of the chip with the lightning bolt. select the AVR dragon the chip on your jalapeno AT32UC3A1256 then jtag and apply. If it needs to update let it. Go to memories erase the chips and reprogram it should have the FW file loaded there already. 2 minutes later you're done, you can run the jalapeno with the JTAG attached.

This I'd tried....

P.S. you need to define Little _Single instead of the usual Single. This file is in I believe STD_DEF.h right after you open the FW in Atmel studios

This I didn't know about...

So, did as you said, and it's now hashing away merrily at just under 6GH and rising.  I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't go straight in at 7GH or so...is there anything else I needed to change?
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:51:58 PM

This I'd tried....

This I didn't know about...

So, did as you said, and it's now hashing away merrily at just under 6GH and rising.  I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't go straight in at 7GH or so...is there anything else I needed to change?

As with my jalapenos when they shipped they had the 1.2.9 FW installed already. It will hash as good as the chips so your chip grade makes a big difference. Your best option is to get a few chips added. At $50 a chip above thats a good price. You can play more with the FW like change I think it's intensity right around line 100. People have reported the best at the stock 7 though.

HellDiverUK

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:27:00 PM

Yeah, mine's a pretty recent machine, so the chips are probably shitty compared to the stock-7GH one.  It seems stable around 5.9GH at the moment, running about 5C hotter than the default.

Getting chips added is probably impossible here - I'm in the back end of the back end of nowhere, and people just don't have the skills.  Or I don't know anyone that does.
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:47:20 PM

Yeah, mine's a pretty recent machine, so the chips are probably shitty compared to the stock-7GH one.  It seems stable around 5.9GH at the moment, running about 5C hotter than the default.

Getting chips added is probably impossible here - I'm in the back end of the back end of nowhere, and people just don't have the skills.  Or I don't know anyone that does.

Sir, please read post #127, I offer such a service. If you're in the continental US this would be very quick. Go back a page and look at my work too, I'm very happy. Also take the sides off your case it helps a lot!!

HellDiverUK

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:40:07 PM

Sir, please read post #127, I offer such a service. If you're in the continental US this would be very quick. Go back a page and look at my work too, I'm very happy. Also take the sides off your case it helps a lot!!

Please look at my username.  See the last two characters?  That should give you a clue that I'm not in the US. 

My machine is running caseless - the stock fan is replaced by a Noctua fan, and the only other thing is the original rubber feet from the case are stuck on the bottom of the PCB.  That sits on a ceramic tile which soaks up any residual heat coming from the bottom of the Jalapeno's board.
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:03:52 PM

Yeah sorry didn't look that closely -_- I flipped over my 3rd one and just set a stock heat sink on the bottom no thermal paste dropped from 70c to 54c. I think amazon works in the UK you could try adding chips yourself. Making a mistake hasn't seemed to fry any yet...

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:36:04 PM

Yeah sorry didn't look that closely -_- I flipped over my 3rd one and just set a stock heat sink on the bottom no thermal paste dropped from 70c to 54c. I think amazon works in the UK you could try adding chips yourself. Making a mistake hasn't seemed to fry any yet...
Oh good, you're doing this as a service. Means I don't have to :-)

Yes, heat sink makes a diff, but try the thermal grease and original case. Case gets very warm but temps stay around 60c or so with 5 chips. Not bad.

I wish I could get my "immediate delivery" jallies, but it looks like it's gonna wait for a bit...
C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:38:01 PM

On a side note, if one wants to do escow on a small (<1btc) transcation, how would be the best way to do it?

C
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

On a side note, if one wants to do escow on a small (<1btc) transcation, how would be the best way to do it?

C

I've heard many of the services around here are grade A like JohnK. Theres no Bitmit anymore, but cryptothrift isn't bad for escrow fees either.

Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:07:18 PM

Regarding BFL's firmware; I just got a shiny new 50GH/s single in yesterday and after nearly destroying the case drilling out the screws, I was able to get the case open.

Out of the box it was running at 50.5 GH/s, so I opened up Atmel studio - made sure engine zero was enabled, #DEFINE_PRODUCT to SINGLE, auto tune to 60GH/s disabled and set the ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL to 8  and flashed it (FW 1.2.9)

BFGminer and CGminer both report it running about 54ish GH/s now. Which is good, but I looked into the engine status and surprisingly almost all the chips have 14-16 engines, and THEORETICAL_MAX was something like 67 GH/s

So the question is, is there another speed crippler in the code somewhere or is there a reason that there would be such a large difference in hashing speed reported by software versus the THEORETICAL_MAX?  My other two BFL miners (an early Jalapeno and Little Single run at pretty much the max value (31 and 8.2 GH/s respectively with less engines since they can't use engine zero)

Thanks
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 11:09:55 PM

Regarding BFL's firmware; I just got a shiny new 50GH/s single in yesterday and after nearly destroying the case drilling out the screws, I was able to get the case open.

Out of the box it was running at 50.5 GH/s, so I opened up Atmel studio - made sure engine zero was enabled, #DEFINE_PRODUCT to SINGLE, auto tune to 60GH/s disabled and set the ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL to 8  and flashed it (FW 1.2.9)

BFGminer and CGminer both report it running about 54ish GH/s now. Which is good, but I looked into the engine status and surprisingly almost all the chips have 14-16 engines, and THEORETICAL_MAX was something like 67 GH/s

So the question is, is there another speed crippler in the code somewhere or is there a reason that there would be such a large difference in hashing speed reported by software versus the THEORETICAL_MAX?  My other two BFL miners (an early Jalapeno and Little Single run at pretty much the max value (31 and 8.2 GH/s respectively with less engines since they can't use engine zero)

Thanks
WARNING THERE IS!

There is a 60gh limiter in the code, and it's there for a reason: If you run all 8 chips full out you will run the risk of overloading the twelve FETS under those little heat sinks. When that happens they short, it blows out the power supply, and will smoke your board when you plug in a bigger supply.

I sort of recommend not flashing the Singles. You're out of warranty and in that case out of luck. We can do it on jallies because we have two chips and a full set of FETs. I am running five, and my fets are hot. Six might be the logical limit.

Good luck. If you blow up your unit I'll buy it for scrap, but I don't want to do that.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

By the way, just put a Noctura fan in my Jally because I broke a fan blade on the stock unit.

Man is it quiet.

Man is it HOT AS HELL!

Went from 60 with a working fan to 70 with two blades broken (balance, sort of) to 80 with the noctura. Not good, I have my throttle at 85. With the copper heat sink on the bottom of the case and thermal grease I'm back down to 65-70 but boo!

Note these are with the unit closed up, a good heat sink.

Anyone want to send me their old fan? Or I can run till I get my two jallies from BFL and do something with it.

C
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:28:43 AM

By the way, just put a Noctura fan in my Jally because I broke a fan blade on the stock unit.

Man is it quiet.

Man is it HOT AS HELL!

Went from 60 with a working fan to 70 with two blades broken (balance, sort of) to 80 with the noctura. Not good, I have my throttle at 85. With the copper heat sink on the bottom of the case and thermal grease I'm back down to 65-70 but boo!

Note these are with the unit closed up, a good heat sink.

Anyone want to send me their old fan? Or I can run till I get my two jallies from BFL and do something with it.

C

I'm sorry to hear of your heat issues, I just got 4 chips in 4 jalas one with only a little FPGA heat sink thermal pasted to the bottom at 60C. I don't see the real appeal to the case. It collects dust, you can't see all the cute LED's as easy. I like free flow of air, and no static.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: