Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:17:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking a BFL Jalapeno to 32GH and beyond....(???)  (Read 54272 times)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:17:20 PM

Very interesting little update: Last night my 6 miners out in the shed faulted out my Rpi at 4am. Went out at 6am to check on them, brought a laptop and after some analysis found that my 28gh air cooled jalapeno was screwing up the USB bus. Not sure why, but it's out of the loop for now and everything else (8 chip jally, chili, two single/30's and two single/60's) are running normally.

Unit was a factory good 2 chip December Jally that was upgraded to 7 chips with dual heat sinks. It tended to get quite warm but not insanely hot.

Now it is true the temps last night in the shed dropped under 15f, and this was a confirmed good unit, but it's still odd. I'll have to sit down and figure out what's going on.

C

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:18:56 PM

Another note: I did some power calculations, and it looks like the 8 chip jally pulls 5.2 watts per gh, while a standard single/30 pulls about 4.0 watts per gh. I'm guessing most of the difference is the cooling pump, but I think the newer boards are more efficient than turbo-charged jallies.

C
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:02:30 PM

I'm wondering can anyone in the UK make two Jalapenos in to one, IE pull the two chips off one board and add it to the other board?

Both use the newer type chips and run the 292 firmware, one gives about 8.1GH and the other does just over 5.5GH.

Any ideas?
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:09:56 AM

This is why I love Bitcoins. I had to get a miner from a local guy, who wanted me to add 3 chips to the unit, so I asked him to drop it off while I and the kids were playing XP Laser sport in MD. This is my wife's point of view:

Oddly though, before all that, my husboo tells me before the game starts, "I'll be getting a package dropped off for me by a man at the front desk while we're playing. I'll need you to pick it up." We agreed that my code word would be "aluminum." I TOTALLY thought he was kidding. He and the kids went in to play, and I went up to observe them from the upper balcony. Another guy was up there too, a friendly, middle-aged-looking guy, watching the laser tag game and laughing. It's dark up there, kind of hard to see. At a certain point, he squints at me, comes over, and asks me "Are you with C?" I agree that I was. I figured this was one of his old laser tag buddies from when he used to regularly game. The guy tells me "I have the package for him."  I tell him "Oh right, I'm supposed to say 'aluminum' for the password." like I actually know what's going on. He laughs and says "Yes, and I said I'd flap my arms like wings." So he does. Then he hands me the box and says, "I'll just pay up front, I just went to the ATM.", and counts me out a hundred mumble dollars. I take it and put it in my pocket like I have some fucking clue what's going on. He says this was like a spy movie, and I agree it was all very cloak and dagger and we chuckle, say good-bye, and he leaves. Hmm.

Of course part of me knows that Lightfoot fixes bit coin miners for people, and I figured at a certain point that this nonsense was related to that, but really. How was I supposed to know he was REALLY going to get a delivery from someone at the laser tag place while he was gaming with the kids?  This is my life.

I simply... love... bitcoin. :-)
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 12:37:31 PM

Sounds badass, it brings people together in ways some wouldn't or never would.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 02:58:47 AM

Indeed, it brings out that little bit of adventure in all of us.

So I got it home and put it through it's paces: Was clocked at the factory at 290mhz, which lead to about a 6% error rate and a speed of 7.3gh. Too high on the errors, backed it to speed 7 with my firmware release and it's down to 274mhz with 0.2% errors and a 7.3gh hashing speed. Less errors=less power.

Added three chips, no problem. However witrh the sides off and the fan on the top it's clocking at 70c temps, which is a little bit warm. I have the copper heat sinks on all the FETs so it's ok, but once again I see a serious difference in temps between 4 chip jallies and 5 chip ones. 5 seems to be the tipping point for a stock heat sink; once you get to that level stuff gets more complex. However it is putting out a very solid 20gh, so the added chips are all hashing at >4gh each.

I also have three jallies in from Sweeden, one had a broken off power connector, the other two hashed at 5gh. Flashing them brought one to 7gh, the other was still at 5 (has a pair of C class chips). The one with the broken power connector was a simple fix, and it also went to 7.

The user enclosed 4 chips, so I boosted each one with two more chips, bringing them to 14.9 and 15.8gh. Not bad actually, and they run fine without extra heat sinking. For the third one I'm going to see how adding two then three chips works, should be able to get it past 16gh.

Never dull. If you want your jally to be boosted, drop me a line. Despite bitcoin price drops I am honoring my standard prices (.1btc to add two user supplied chips). I also have a few chips available that I will sell for install as well (for much less than the Ebay guy who is being a bit irrational).

Never dull :-)
john_thecapn

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 03:09:29 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2014, 03:55:11 PM by john_thecapn

Greetings all!  I know that it may be a bit odd for my first post to be in the hardware section, but that's me.  Straight to it.

I recently have gotten into the mining scene (about 4ish months) by picking up a 10gh Jalapeno and a few Antminer U2s.  20gh total.
Nothing spectacular, but fun nonetheless.
And, yes, I know, late to the party, so to speak.

Now, I started doing some looking and ran across this thread about mod'ing the Jalapenos for moar power, as it were.
This was after I got to thinking about the fact that if this Jalapeno was orig a 5gh (plate on the back says 5), what was done to get it to 10.  I don't have any equip/software to really do any kind of diag on this thing, so I am going to ask the experts.

So, my here's my question, is it worth messing with this unit by adding chips, etc. to get it up to say 20+, or just keep rocking it as is?
It currently is a 3 chip unit.  After taking the cover off, it dropped from 60+C, down to avg'ing 48C.  The error rate stays at a steady 3.8%.  I am not sure if there is room for improvement currently, or not.
Also, when you first kick it off, there is some garbage that shows up in the mining client.  Both, BFG and the Bitminter app.  I've read that may be the FTDI chip, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks y'all!

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:52:37 PM

Quick answer: No but it is fun. At this point difficulty has caught up, but if you want a kick ass conversation piece you can still buy the chips on ebay and I'll install them.

C
john_thecapn

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:34:38 PM

Thanks very much for the info.  That's pretty much what I thought, but was getting confirmation from the experts.

Thanks again!
tuanvie

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:43:21 PM

good info,
but I have not been able to understand this long discussion
This seems nice, and maybe one day if I've understood could try this

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:20:24 PM

Nice to know, I have bookmarked this thread thanks, just a bit difficult to understand for an unexperienced miner tho.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:45:13 PM

I will say I have been busy these past few months. Actually I'm going to Defcon this year in Vegas, anyone want to go and meet up for a discussion on Hacking Miners for Fun, Fires, and Profit?

I'll post details and thoughts over here in this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=646976.msg7232230#msg7232230

It could be fun....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]  All
  Print  

Jump to: