Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:28:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sell Casascius bitcoins  (Read 1138 times)
ObjectInSpace (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:34:36 PM

Hi all, first post here.

I own a few of the 2011 misprint Casascius 1 BTC coins and I was thinking about selling some of them. The problem is, I have no idea how to do this. I could use a service like eBay but with fees of 10% plus Paypal plus the risk of chargebacks, I'm not keen on that at all.

The only option I can really see is to meet in person or use some sort of escrow service. And even meeting in person would be difficult because of the large sums involved.

Does anybody have any experience of this that could offer some advice?

Thanks.
Dragooon

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:36:23 PM

Casacius btc are simply normal BTC with their private key in the coin right? Can't you redeem it and sell it online (using escrow preferably)?

▒ NOW token ▒ by ChangeNOW ▒ Get the WIN! ▒
ChangeNOW - an instant Non-custodial Exchange Service  (( changenow.io ))
Whitepaper  ▓  Telegram  ▓  Twitter  ▓  Facebook  ▓  Medium  ▓  Reddit  ▓  Bounty Thread
ObjectInSpace (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:43:52 PM

That's correct. But the value of a funded Casascius coin is multiple times higher than the underlying bitcoin, so I don't want to redeem them - both because of the value involved and because it feels a shame to do that. There were only 11,000 of the coins minted so I'd like to keep them circulated if possible.
Dragooon

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:05:00 PM

Ah okay, well you can try selling them here, maybe a trusted member is interested in buying

▒ NOW token ▒ by ChangeNOW ▒ Get the WIN! ▒
ChangeNOW - an instant Non-custodial Exchange Service  (( changenow.io ))
Whitepaper  ▓  Telegram  ▓  Twitter  ▓  Facebook  ▓  Medium  ▓  Reddit  ▓  Bounty Thread
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:38:40 PM

Post a topic in the Goods section of Marketplace. You'll have to wait for 4 hours before you can.

Yes, you can do that or bitmit or any other website Smiley

ObjectInSpace (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:41:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I realize I can make a post here. But what I'm looking for is clarity on what to do if I find a buyer. How do we actually make the exchange? I wouldn't want to post off the coins without payment first, and I'm sure the buyer wouldn't want to pay without confirming the coins are genuine and unredeemed. This seems to require either a physical meetup or an escrow.

I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with buying or selling physical coins and if so how they made the exchange.
tunctioncloud

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:48:11 PM

Post a topic in the Goods section of Marketplace. You'll have to wait for 4 hours before you can.

Yes, you can do that or bitmit or any other website Smiley

BitMit doesnt work anymore Sad

Try ebay for USD
ObjectInSpace (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:57:46 PM

Try ebay for USD

As I said in the first post, I don't want to use ebay because of paypal and high fees.

I found this post which looks useful. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=214589.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: