Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:43:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I open a joint bitcoin account with my husband?  (Read 2039 times)
gabriella (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:16:52 PM

As a couple, We have a joint bank account.

How do we open a joint bitcoin account where we both contribute our income, and money cannot be taken out without consent of both of us?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:19:01 PM

For one thing, there's no such thing as an "account" in Bitcoin.

There are software tools coming, however, which will have the functionality you are looking for. It's called "multisig".
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:23:27 PM

For a cheap, easy way to do a "joint account", just print a paper wallet and cut the private key in two.
Now each one of you just lock guard that 1/2 key, and you have a "joint account".

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:27:14 PM

There are software tools coming, however, which will have the functionality you are looking for. It's called "multisig".

You can do this on the current version of bitcoin-qt and bitcoind and electrum.
From a convenient and intuitive GUI, or via RPC commands?
dominicwin

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:02:21 PM

For a cheap, easy way to do a "joint account", just print a paper wallet and cut the private key in two.
Now each one of you just lock guard that 1/2 key, and you have a "joint account".

I think this may be the best method for the OP

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 02:12:06 PM

Its funny but can this actually work? I mean wouldn't the paper get messed up or something?

nefron

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:16:51 PM

qr codes have good odds of recovering. even if 1/3rd is somehow smudged, can be recovered.
Haidang1796

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:15:58 PM

It is multi signature/multisig that u r looking for

zenid

Activity: 52

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:53:39 AM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 08:13:33 AM by zenid

How do we open a joint bitcoin account where we both contribute our income, and money cannot be taken out without consent of both of us?

Thanks.
You don't need any fancy software to do this for you. Just generate a private key (your "account number") offline and with wifi/networking disabled for security, then print the private key onto two pieces of paper, one for him one for you. As long as only you two have the private key, then only you two will have access to the BTC in it. Then you can add the account as a "watch" online and start putting BTC into it, secure in the knowledge that there's no way anyone can steal your BTC online because the private key has never gone online. As soon as you want to take some bitcoin OUT of the 'account', though, then you have to create a wallet and add it as a fully functional online account. I use blockchain.info's [edited in response to reply] wallet system, because it's probably the safest bet for entrusting your key to third party.

P.S: To generate a private key ('account number plus access') offline. Go to an online generator like http://brainwallet.org/ (make sure it works as a javascript client-side app so it runs offline) and save the web page to your local drive. Then run THAT file when you're offline and unconnected. This will give you a secure key that has never been 'seen' by the internet.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 07:56:49 AM

Thanks.
You don't need any fancy software to do this for you. Just generate a private key (your "account number") offline and with wifi/networking disabled for security, then print the private key onto two pieces of paper, one for him one for you. As long as only you two have the private key, then only you two will have access to the BTC in it. Then you can add the account as a "watch" online and start putting BTC into it, secure in the knowledge that there's no way anyone can steal your BTC online because the private key has never gone online. As soon, as you want to take money OUT, though, then you have to create a wallet and add it as a fully functional online account. I use bitchain.org's wallet system, because it's probably the safest bet for entrusting your key to third party.

bitchain.org's
Dafuck is bitchain.org? I just checked and it's just some stupid emoticon (~.~).
because it's probably the safest bet for entrusting your key to third party.
Entrusting your key to an third party is safe? Did you trust Inputs.IO too?

@OP, if you really really want to use an online service (I do not recommend it), I would advice you to use BlockChain.info. It has been around for a while and still stands strong.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
zenid

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:11:46 AM

Thanks.
bitchain.org's
Dafuck is bitchain.org? I just checked and it's just some stupid emoticon (~.~).

@OP, if you really really want to use an online service (I do not recommend it), I would advice you to use BlockChain.info. It has been around for a while and still stands strong.
Yes! Blockchain.info is what I meant. Doh!  Embarrassed
And, yes, also. The only way to be 100% safe is to never have your private key online at all. But then you need to access it at SOME point, lol, so you have to make a judgement call on who to trust.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 08:17:16 AM

bitchain.org's

Yes! Blockchain.info is what I meant. Doh!  Embarrassed
And, yes, also. The only way to be 100% safe is to never have your private key online at all. But then you need to access it at SOME point, lol, so you have to make a judgement call on who to trust.
Oh I see, hahaha. Well, you could always use Electrum instead of an online provider. It's fast, secure (as far as I know) and well, fast.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Martijnvdc

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:19:34 AM

While reading through this thread i thought the split paper wallet was a joke. Cheesy
Maybe you guys think it's funny or romantic; but i ain't trusting nobody with a piece of paper containing all of the money...

One day there will be movies about treasurehunting called "the lost half" or "The missing QR".
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:20:28 AM

Interesting Idea
Worth thinking about

Going to go with the idea of a USB Stick and a client that is read-only
Both of you know half the code to the safe
So any agreed to deals will require both of your consents to use the usb stick.

That or split the private key in half since the paper wallet idea is amusing Smiley

Or get some Caucasus coins and put those in the safe using your combined fiat money to buy a few at a time

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
zenid

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:27:19 AM

While reading through this thread i thought the split paper wallet was a joke. Cheesy
Maybe you guys think it's funny or romantic; but i ain't trusting nobody with a piece of paper containing all of the money...

One day there will be movies about treasurehunting called "the lost half" or "The missing QR".
If you're talking about my post, I think you might have misunderstood! They both get a copy of the piece of paper with the private key on it, because that's the equivalent of each of them independently having access to the BTC stored there. That IS what a joint account essentially is, right?
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:31:37 AM

If you're talking about my post, I think you might have misunderstood! They both get a copy of the piece of paper with the private key on it, because that's the equivalent of each of them independently having access to the BTC stored there. That IS what a joint account essentially is, right?

I was imagining the private key cut into two
The two are needed to make a pair
One is lost and then we enter into the movie
The search for the long lost Bitcoin XD

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:33:28 AM

I like it.  Low-tech, fun.
Martijnvdc

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:46:06 AM

I was imagining the private key cut into two
The two are needed to make a pair
One is lost and then we enter into the movie
The search for the long lost Bitcoin XD
Exactly Cheesy
And yes, i misunderstood, sorry. A shared private key would indeed be just like a shared account.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: