Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:55:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mistake sending bitcoin to terracoin address  (Read 1421 times)
tevasu (OP)

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:42:48 PM

Back in April of this year I bought my first bit coins. I tried to buy some Terracoins from Btce exchange and unwittingly sent .5 btc
to my terra coin wallet address. Mistake! Ever since my bit coin has been stuck in the block chain in 'Not Yet Redeemed' status. Any ideas
how I can get my bit coin back into my bit coin wallet. Btce says they can't help. Nor will Blockchain.info help where I have my bit coin wallet. Any ideas how i can retrieve my coin or is it lost forever.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RW02

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:49:20 PM

the only way i can think of is to back up both wallets and import the back up from terracoin wallet into the bitcoin wallet and send them to your bitcoin address. its pretty complex and could cause alot of trouble if done wrong. it might be worth pming vm1990 he charges a fee but might be worth it
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 10:51:35 PM

the only way i can think of is to back up both wallets and import the back up from terracoin wallet into the bitcoin wallet and send them to your bitcoin address. its pretty complex and could cause alot of trouble if done wrong. it might be worth pming vm1990 he charges a fee but might be worth it

Just backup everything first if you do do this then you have the originals all in one place if it fucks up
RW02

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Just backup everything first if you do do this then you have the originals all in one place if it fucks up

id say back up to the harddrive and a pendrive or 2 to be safe. if it messes up you could be stuck redownloading both blockchains 2 or 3 times or even loosing the coins if there not backed up
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:57:03 PM

I think that it is lost forever, but there is still a chance that btc e has the private key of the address and can send the coins back. Problem is that they don't give a shit about it, and will bother them to do so.

RW02

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:01:58 PM

I think that it is lost forever, but there is still a chance that btc e has the private key of the address and can send the coins back. Problem is that they don't give a shit about it, and will bother them to do so.

btc-e sent the coins so the coins arnt in there possession so theres nothing they can do. its all down to the op to get them from his terracoin wallet to his bitcoin wallet which is tricky but do able
PenAndPaper

Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:03:40 PM

I 'm confused. You sent the bitcoins from btc-e to a terracoin address? If that so what blockchain.info has to do with that?
RW02

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:12:25 PM

I 'm confused. You sent the bitcoins from btc-e to a terracoin address? If that so what blockchain.info has to do with that?

i think you need an eye test i said blockchain which is where the coins are stored. blockchain.info is completely diffrent
PenAndPaper

Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:25:15 PM

i think you need an eye test i said blockchain which is where the coins are stored. blockchain.info is completely diffrent

I 'm asking the OP who said:

Nor will Blockchain.info help where I have my bit coin wallet.

RW02

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:34:13 PM

I 'm asking the OP who said:

Nor will Blockchain.info help where I have my bit coin wallet.

ah right missed that bit so hes going to need alot of time and bandwidth as hes going to need a full copy of bitcoin-qt and terracoin-qt
sorry ill hold my hands up to that one

its where his wallet is stored i just assumed he was using bitcoin-qt
torrentheaven

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:38:06 PM

Back in April of this year I bought my first bit coins. I tried to buy some Terracoins from Btce exchange and unwittingly sent .5 btc
to my terra coin wallet address. Mistake! Ever since my bit coin has been stuck in the block chain in 'Not Yet Redeemed' status. Any ideas
how I can get my bit coin back into my bit coin wallet. Btce says they can't help. Nor will Blockchain.info help where I have my bit coin wallet. Any ideas how i can retrieve my coin or is it lost forever.

Make backups BTC and TRC wallet
Try use pywallet and read TRC wallet.dat private key of the address you send your BTC to
import this private key to Bitcoin-qt using console, or in blockchain.info
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:29:56 AM

You can get your BTC

At least two other instances of this happening have been discussed in this forum and both ended with the persons getting their BTC .

A TRC address is created in the same way as a BTC address. You cannot send BTC to a TRC address. You can only send BTC to a BTC address that is the same as a TRC address. Get the difference? The good news is that the private keys for the BTC and TRC addresses are the same.

Whoever has the private key to the TRC address can access your BTC by importing that private key into their BTC wallet.

You wrote that you "sent .5 btc to my terra coin wallet address". All you have to do is get the private key for that address from your TRC wallet and import it into your BTC wallet. However, I think you meant to write that you sent the BTC to BTC-e's TRC wallet (using the address they provided). In that case BTC-e can retrieve your BTC. They have done it twice before. All they have to do is to import the private key for the TRC address into their BTC wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
RW02

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:35:37 AM

You can get your BTC

At least two other instances of this happening have been discussed in this forum and both ended with the person getting their BTC .

First, a BTC address is the same as a TRC address. You cannot send BTC to a TRC address. You can only send BTC to a BTC address that is the same as a TRC address. Get the difference? The good news is that the private keys for the BTC and TRC address are the same.

Whoever has the private key to the TRC address can access your BTC by importing that private key into their BTC wallet.

You wrote that you "sent .5 btc to my terra coin wallet address". All you have to do is get the private key for that address from your TRC wallet and import it into your BTC wallet. However, I think you meant to write that you sent the BTC to BTC-e's wallet (using the address they provide). In that case BTC-e can retrieve your BTC. They have done it twice before. All they have to do is to import the private key for the TRC address into their BTC wallet.

i think he cashed out the bitcoins to his terracoin wallet address.. but his bitcoin address is on blockchain.info which means downloading bitcoin-qt. then sending the private keys from terracoin wallet to his new bitcoin wallet and hoping for the best
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:38:09 AM

i think he cashed out the bitcoins to his terracoin wallet address.. but his bitcoin address is on blockchain.info which means downloading bitcoin-qt. then sending the private keys from terracoin wallet to his new bitcoin wallet and hoping for the best

Blockchain.info can import private keys.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
tevasu (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:42:14 PM

You can get your BTC

At least two other instances of this happening have been discussed in this forum and both ended with the persons getting their BTC .

A TRC address is created in the same way as a BTC address. You cannot send BTC to a TRC address. You can only send BTC to a BTC address that is the same as a TRC address. Get the difference? The good news is that the private keys for the BTC and TRC addresses are the same.

You wrote that you "sent .5 btc to my terra coin wallet address". All you have to do is get the private key for that address from your TRC wallet and import it into your BTC wallet. However, I think you meant to write that you sent the BTC to BTC-e's TRC wallet (using the address they provided). In that case BTC-e can retrieve your BTC. They have done it twice before. All they have to do is to import the private key for the TRC address into their BTC wallet.

OK, I have hope now of retrieving the coin. And, yes odolvlobo, it was a Btce TRC wallet I was sending to. I will contact Btce then and report back how things transpire. Thanks ever so much. Is there a cause I can donate to?
tevasu (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:25:28 AM

You can get your BTC

OK, I have hope now of retrieving the coin. And, yes odolvlobo, it was a Btce TRC wallet I was sending to. I will contact Btce then and report back how things transpire. Thanks ever so much. Is there a cause I can donate to?
Victory!!!, I took your advice odolvlobo and contacted support at btce. 20 minutes later my bit coin, lost/stuck and trying to be processed for 6 months, was delivered into my btce btc wallet. I am impressed by btce that use to be slow on the response but now acted quickly to resolve the problem.
Anillos2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:35:50 AM

Web developers:

Please, don't use the name "address" for text inputs.

Instead, use different names: "trc_address", "btc_address", "ltc_address"... Also, It would be better if You add the name of your service, for example "trc_address_name-of-my-faucet". This would keep addresses separated.

yangel

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:50:03 PM

You say they gave your BTC back but I did the same mistake and I sent BTC to TRC address on BTC-e, they said dismissively "Unfortunately, we cannot return them to You. It is technically impossible" and finally I understand that they don't wanna move their fingers for their customers problems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: