Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:18:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use the (very cheap) "Watts up?" Power meter/Data logger on your rig.  (Read 160 times)
mrtb_joe (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 07:51:59 PM

Does anyone else use one of these? I just recently bought the .net version of their power meter with Data logging off ebay for $35. Now I see a bunch for sale even cheaper for $25 plus ship.

The downside is they are discontinued, and no longer supported, but I am playing with mine and so far its a great meter for the price. They can sample rates up to once a second. Captured 18 parameters, and you can also input your price per KWh and it will keep track of your cumulative costs, and also your average monthly costs. I was using a kill-a-watt to track power previously and writing it down in a notebook. But it is so much nicer to have it log it for me and I am able to graph the data. I also want to get the built in webserver working and have it transfer the data live and get the remote power cycle working.

Anyways again its discontinued and no longer supported by the company and the software is dated, but I did get it working on my win 10 rig and heard it worked with linux. Just curious if anyone else had one and was doing anything cool with it.

Here is a quick review I did on it if anyone wants to check it out.
https://myrandomtechblog.com/cryptomining/watts-up/

Anyways, the one I bought works great, but YMMV as they are used, but for the price I am happy even if I don't get the webserver/remote powercycle working. (But it would be cool to have those features)

If anyone has the webserver working can you let me know. I see some stuff on github for the meter and will start checking it out.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 08:26:54 PM

Never heard of such a device, I might get one of these in the future, good review!

From what I can tell, this device does up to 1920W at 120V (120V 15A) from an Amazon review. How much does it go up to at 220/240V assuming it can run at that voltage? I just want to make sure I don't break the meter if I put too much power through it.
mrtb_joe (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 11:37:09 PM

I guess i should have mentioned these were 120V. I do see they made an international version that did 240 when looking at the specs. But not sure how hard they would be to find. I did not see any international versions for sale on Ebay here.

From the specs....
Specifications
Voltage: 120 V (240 V for the international version)
Duty Cycle: 60 Hz
Maximum current: 15 amperes
mrtb_joe (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 11:31:10 PM

I was searching and found the internals appear to be the same for 120/240 on some of the models.

"Higher ratings of 100-277v, 50/60Hz, and 20 amps require appropriate country specific cord set and receptacle, and is NOT UL listed.  Internal electronics are the same. "

That was from this website, and they also have the manuals for download.

https://www.powermeterstore.ca/p5674/eed_watts_up_net.php

leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:00:53 AM

I was searching and found the internals appear to be the same for 120/240 on some of the models.

"Higher ratings of 100-277v, 50/60Hz, and 20 amps require appropriate country specific cord set and receptacle, and is NOT UL listed.  Internal electronics are the same. "

That was from this website, and they also have the manuals for download.

https://www.powermeterstore.ca/p5674/eed_watts_up_net.php

The 220/240 part's pretty odd. I won't try to push 240/220 through these for an extended period of time if I get one, then. I wasn't able to find specifications or manuals for these devices, thank you for the link. I'll probably just put a small GPU rig on one and see how it works, shame the company that made these stopped supporting these things.
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:04:41 AM

Not really worth it in my case cause I have too many rigs. I use these for my 240v 30a PDUs.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Aeon-Labs-DSB28-ZWUS-Energy/dp/B0151Z3FB4

I didn't pay that price. I think I paid $50 for 2...

Then I hook them up to smartthings and then use the google sheets smart app to log data.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:20:06 AM

There are other generic power meters available on the the only exception of this product- WATTS UP is their data logging features where other products don't have this feature. There are other cheap home power monitor available on the market but they lack the features of data logging, most data logging features are for commercial use. They are lucky users who owns this one, it can also estimate the approximate monthly bill of your mining rigs, so no need to worry about to calculate and compensate your profitability of each coin you mined.
mrtb_joe (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:09:11 PM

Not really worth it in my case cause I have too many rigs. I use these for my 240v 30a PDUs.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Aeon-Labs-DSB28-ZWUS-Energy/dp/B0151Z3FB4

I didn't pay that price. I think I paid $50 for 2...

Then I hook them up to smartthings and then use the google sheets smart app to log data.

You got a good price, Those look pretty cool, but the price that's showing up for me is $82 each. But it does sound like a better option for you with your bigger setup. I wonder if those would work well on an individual circuit as well (if you modified the power cable). Just thinking if people wanted to just monitor per rig or something. The watts up idea is really more of a replacement for people using a kill-a-watt that want logging (And cheap :-) ) .
mrtb_joe (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:02:13 PM

There are other generic power meters available on the the only exception of this product- WATTS UP is their data logging features where other products don't have this feature. There are other cheap home power monitor available on the market but they lack the features of data logging, most data logging features are for commercial use. They are lucky users who owns this one, it can also estimate the approximate monthly bill of your mining rigs, so no need to worry about to calculate and compensate your profitability of each coin you mined.
Yeah I agree, I was surprised there were not many options out there for something that includes logging (at a decent price point).  I think Kill-a-watt should come out with a new model that does all this, they would probably sell quite a few of them. I know i would have paid more to have the features when I initially bought my Kill-a-watt. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: