Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 02:20:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backing up wallet.dat  (Read 727 times)
gigastar (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:39:49 AM

To backup my wallet file, can I just copy the file, wallet.dat, to a usb flash drive? 
Do I have to back up from the bitcoin-qt client, backup menu?

Also, are there any ways to send bitcoins to another address from wallet.dat file without going on the Internet.  I would like to send bitcoins from my qt client to Armory or Electrum, but i am afraid to go online with the bitcoin-qt client to send the coins.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:48:04 AM

To backup my wallet file, can I just copy the file, wallet.dat, to a usb flash drive?

Yes.  But you should make sure that you've shut down Bitcoin-Qt completely before you do so.  If you copy it while Bitcoin-Qt is attempting to upate it, you can end up with a damaged copy.

Do I have to back up from the bitcoin-qt client, backup menu?

You don't have to, but if you are going to backup while it is running, then that's the safe way to do it.  Why do you not want to use the backup menu?

Also, are there any ways to send bitcoins to another address from wallet.dat file without going on the Internet.  I would like to send bitcoins from my qt client to Armory or Electrum, but i am afraid to go online with the bitcoin-qt client to send the coins.

You could import the private key into offline Armory.
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:46:14 AM

make sure to encrypt your wallet!
gigastar (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:12:19 AM

Searching through the forum, they are saying I can't import qt wallet.dat file to offline Armory.  Are there any new developments regarding this?

You could import the private key into offline Armory.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:25:22 AM

To send bitcoins you must broadcast a signed transaction so for that transaction to be included in a block. You can't do that offline.
oyeTorry

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

To send bitcoins you must broadcast a signed transaction so for that transaction to be included in a block. You can't do that offline.

Just importing private keys would work. use pywallet to get private keys from wallet.dat and import private keys to Armory or Electrum

PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:12:46 AM

Just importing private keys would work. use pywallet to get private keys from wallet.dat and import private keys to Armory or Electrum

Importing keys isn't sending bitcoin to another address...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:37:48 PM

You don't need to be online to sign the transaction.  You only need to be online to broadcast the transaction after it has been signed.

You can import the private key into Armory offline, then use Armory offline to sign the transaction.  Then you can transport the signed transaction (on USB flash drive) to the online computer to broadcast the transaction.  This way your private key is never on a computer that is online.
PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:17:17 PM

You don't need to be online to sign the transaction.  You only need to be online to broadcast the transaction after it has been signed.

So you said exaclty what i have said. wtf  Huh
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:30:10 PM

I did?

Where did you mention that the transaction could be signed offline?
Jochen

Activity: 228
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:47:37 PM

If you are want your bitcoins to stay offline u better use Multibit. Faster and better in my opinion :-).
Make sure you encrypt it also. If you do alot of transactions u better use the qt. I always store my %appdata%/Roaming/Multibit map.
https://multibit.org/
kroy101

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:52:39 PM

do encrypt your .dat

I use Truecrypt for that

another question would be where to keep the damm file... I don't really see anywhere safe for it: a pendrive at my house? what if it burns down...

bitcoin made me paranoid
Jochen

Activity: 228
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:58:25 PM

If i were i would just not put it online.. To dangerous with the hackers chasing the bitcoin madness.
Many people make a backup on an usb. U can backup on an extern hard disc, some usb's,offline PC.. Every device that can hold a file.
Just make sure you add a password to the wallet and encrypt it.
PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:08:04 PM

I did?

Where did you mention that the transaction could be signed offline?

Nowhere because signing a transaction offline without broadcasting the transaction is ... wait for it ... like DOING NOTHING.
You can sign and broadcast another transaction with the same inputs, one that will be included in a block eventually thus making the offline transaction invalid.

This is bitcoin 101 actually so if you google about bitcoin transactions you will get it eventually.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:16:29 PM

Nowhere because signing a transaction offline without broadcasting the transaction is ... wait for it ... like DOING NOTHING.

Certainly, signing a transaction offline without broadcasting it is like doing nothing.

However, signing a transaction offline is a great way to keep your private keys safe. This is why Armory is considered so secure.  You can broadcast a transaction online without signing it online.  You mentioned that broadcasting a transaction requires you to be online, and this I agree with.  The part you failed to mention (and that I added) was that you don't have to sign the transaction on an online computer.

This is bitcoin 101 actually so if you google about bitcoin transactions you will get it eventually.

No need to Google.  I'm pretty sure I understand the basics of bitcoin transactions at this point.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: