Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:41:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Copy Pasting Posts from websites is it ok?  (Read 302 times)
Winterizing (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 10

(。◕‿◕。)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 02:17:25 AM

33. This includes both copying parts or the entirety of other users' posts or threads and copying content from external sources (e.g. other websites) and passing it as your own.

I just wanted to ask because I recently saw a fellow member in this forum who mostly posts copy pasted contents from some popular websites but he always put the source at the bottom. The question is it okay to reply a topic with copy pasted content from the internet and just put some source at the bottom?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 02:45:57 AM

Sourcing it is fine. The rule indicates that the user in question is passing it off as their own. Citing a source ≠ plagiarism (unless there's improper citing).

cryptolopoly

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 03:03:06 AM
Merited by bitperson (1)

Sourcing it is fine. The rule indicates that the user in question is passing it off as their own. Citing a source ≠ plagiarism (unless there's improper citing).

Citing the source is one thing but copy/pasting should be assessed on a case-to-case basis.

I've seen some users simply copy pasting news articles on coindesk and pasting them here without any attempt at discussion at all. If this goes unchecked pretty soon you could have bots using forum keywords to search for online articles to copy paste here.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 03:08:30 AM

Citing the source is one thing but copy/pasting should be assessed on a case-to-case basis.

I've seen some users simply copy pasting news articles on coindesk and pasting them here without any attempt at discussion at all. If this goes unchecked pretty soon you could have bots using forum keywords to search for online articles to copy paste here.
I do think those users should be warned and/or punished.

Remember that spamming is posting without substance and if they're not willing to at least add to a discussion then the thread is pointless. It's like if you were to post a lot of threads in Economics about the bitcoin price, every hour. Useless.

sncc

Activity: 536
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 03:35:33 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2018, 04:16:36 AM by sncc

While the forum rule does not seem to require a specific form of quote for external sources, I think the best way is to use "quote" for the external source, showing the link at the beginning, which was discussed in this thread by Jet Cash, and below is an example by LoyceV with slight modifications.  It is simple, just include the URL right after "quote author=".

~snip~
Real example:
“Segregated witness (segwit) is a soft fork that, if activated, will allow transaction-producing software to separate (segregate) transaction signatures (witnesses) from the part of the data in a transaction that is covered by the txid.”

Limitation: it doesn't work if the link is about twice as long as the one above.
Aprilperez1

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 05:26:34 AM

Yes some source is have their own bases to give a merit for a user. Reading and answering the other users problem is a base to recieve and give some merits to others in need. But copy pasting information from other it is not a good base to recieve a merit.
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 05:36:35 AM

I do think those users should be warned and/or punished.

Remember that spamming is posting without substance and if they're not willing to at least add to a discussion then the thread is pointless. It's like if you were to post a lot of threads in Economics about the bitcoin price, every hour. Useless.
Besides that, I think the forum should require a specific format when citing an external source(or the forum rules should require users to specify the text he/she copy pasted in the cited link by highlighting the copy pasted text in bold) and should require one to have further discussion besides the copy pasted content in an article in order to prevent others to spam copy pasted post from cited articles.
qwirtiii

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 06:00:37 AM

Summarizing of articles in website is already you can own, but if the entire words, I think it will be prohibited as long as you didn't put the source of that articles. You can report it to the thread with copy and paste and I think it would be here in this meta.
shezu007

Activity: 336
Merit: 121

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 06:24:47 AM

Getting information from various articles and other places about crypto and then using that information in forum to help people is best work for the forum but copy of posts in this forum and then re paste that posts is totally illegal. Moderators will Block that account soon.
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 06:42:01 AM

Just make sure to put the source before you post it, use that preview button. I have seen (if i remembered it correctly) hillariousandco tagged (or banned) an account (forgot the name of the account) because he forgot to put the source and hillariousandco notice it. Even though after that this man edited the post and added the source, i agree it is still the fault of that man. Embedded a source is the same thing as citation in real world, it could ruin your life if you forgot to put it in your published paper because you forget to add it, even if you did not mean to plagiarize the sources.

But i think for the forum like this, i guess it will be better if you add something like counter argument to an article, or your thought on the article, or some addition to the article. Plus, dont copy the entire article please, just some key paragraph and link would be nice.
zarados

Activity: 364
Merit: 130

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 08:00:25 AM

33. This includes both copying parts or the entirety of other users' posts or threads and copying content from external sources (e.g. other websites) and passing it as your own.

I just wanted to ask because I recently saw a fellow member in this forum who mostly posts copy pasted contents from some popular websites but he always put the source at the bottom. The question is it okay to reply a topic with copy pasted content from the internet and just put some source at the bottom?

so far there is no problem with it as long as the OP includes the source of the article quoted in the post or at least make the sentence quoted in an article on the website to be italic. Everything also depends on the account used, whether the account is following the signature campaign or the like because in the signature campaign there are rules that must be obeyed.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 09:45:34 AM

Besides that, I think the forum should require a specific format when citing an external source(or the forum rules should require users to specify the text he/she copy pasted in the cited link by highlighting the copy pasted text in bold) and should require one to have further discussion besides the copy pasted content in an article in order to prevent others to spam copy pasted post from cited articles.

I will also vouch for an stander formatting so that it get's clear that the contents were cited.

Jet cash and LoyceV's formatting suggestion seems acceptable. Honestly speaking, we would not even need to worry about all these if the members who are citing, would put their own thoughts in the topics.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Daboy_Lyle

Activity: 532
Merit: 148

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 10:04:32 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2018, 11:10:46 AM by Daboy_Lyle

Copying a post from other websites will result plagiarism. This will be avoided by putting a source. Plagiarism will occur account being banned. Taking someone's work or ideas without any permission or sourcing them.

How to avoid plagiarism?
Put a source and not claim others work.

Example about Bitcoin.

PLAGIARISM (no source and stealing others work)
Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency and worldwide payment system. It is the first decentralized digital currency, as the system works without a central bank or single administrator. The network is peer-to-peer and transactions take place between users directly, without an intermediary. These transactions are verified by network nodes through the use of cryptography and recorded in a public distributed ledger called a blockchain. Bitcoin was invented by an unknown person or group of people under the name Satoshi Nakamoto and released as open-source software in 2009.

Not Plagiarised (with source results to not stolen)

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency and worldwide payment system. It is the first decentralized digital currency, as the system works without a central bank or single administrator. The network is peer-to-peer and transactions take place between users directly, without an intermediary. These transactions are verified by network nodes through the use of cryptography and recorded in a public distributed ledger called a blockchain. Bitcoin was invented by an unknown person or group of people under the name Satoshi Nakamoto and released as open-source software in 2009.
Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 10:16:16 AM

It would be better with a quote, no? Not quoting this makes it increase your post size and tells readers that the message is the poster's idea on a subconscious level.
I'm pretty sure that if we force users to quote all external information, the number of padded posts would decrease. This is just a lazy way of spamming and if a user only replies with a quote and nothing else, that adds little to a discussion.

Luke101

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 10:34:07 AM

Copy paste is not the issue sometimes but often people take it as their own by not putting the sources or putting a quotes...
Winterizing (OP)

(。◕‿◕。)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 10:45:22 AM

It would be better with a quote, no? Not quoting this makes it increase your post size and tells readers that the message is the poster's idea on a subconscious level.
I'm pretty sure that if we force users to quote all external information, the number of padded posts would decrease. This is just a lazy way of spamming and if a user only replies with a quote and nothing else, that adds little to a discussion.
This is what I am saying. There's someone benefitting from just copy pasting posts and lazy enough to even rephrase a single thing. I think it's not even fair for some who are making their own post to reply someone in the forum.

Winterizing (OP)

(。◕‿◕。)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 11:09:09 AM
Merited by sadmaster (5)

Copying a post from other websites will result plagiarism. This will be avoided by putting a source. Plagiarism will occur account being banned. Taking someone's work or ideas without any permission or sourcing them.

How to avoid plagiarism?
Put a source and not claim others work.

Example about Bitcoin.

PLAGIARISM (no source and stealing others work)

What if it goes like this Positive NEWS about Bitcoin ? The link is an example of what I had been saying.
Is it good to just copy paste contents and not even bother to edit the post or topic you had made?
People can easily search for it if they wanted to on search engines.

Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:30:37 AM

What if it goes like this Positive NEWS about Bitcoin ? The link is an example of what I had been saying.
Is it good to just copy paste contents and not even bother to edit the post or topic you had made?
People can easily search for it if they wanted to on search engines.

Now, in that case, I don't see any issue. There's nothing wrong if the source is properly specified for the news article. Perhaps, bad choice of forum section and the post should be moved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=77.0

gantez

Activity: 1736
Merit: 121

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:37:08 AM

Copy paste is not the issue sometimes but often people take it as their own by not putting the sources or putting a quotes...

How do you say is not an issue while you still contradict yourself with "but often people take it as their own by not putting the sources".

Is wrong to plagiarize and we should know common sense, to acknowledge the writer.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16625

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 12:13:00 PM

It would be better with a quote, no?
Correct.

Not quoting this makes it increase your post size and tells readers that the message is the poster's idea on a subconscious level.
And for that reason, people who exclusively post some copied text with a link should be reported. As far as I know they can (at first) get a temporary ban for this.

The Press board is the only board that allows just copying some text with a source under it.

trupero_uno

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 12:59:36 PM

I think copy/paste with all part from sources and admit that material to be the poster own, it is plagiarism. But if just some part which is supported own mind poster and it is better to say the source should be not plagiarism. All text book, articles and other content writing are result of some references. This reference to be input of the posting or to support the posting.
1993jochico

Activity: 364
Merit: 46

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 02:23:59 PM

Some of them using this trick to merit their alts easily so that the public wont notice it easily and they will not get punished if you saw some cases like this try to search deeper and if you found something wrong you can report it.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: