Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:36:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever considered using a miner as a home heater?  (Read 189 times)
Comino (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 7

No noise. No hustle. Quiet as whisper. Comino.

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 10:48:53 AM

If a mining device is quite enough, did you ever consider using it as an additional heating home appliance? Of course, that is also a climate issue.

**COMINO** 
WORLD'S FIRST LIQUID COOLED GPU MINER
200 MH/s * 30dB(A) ASUS, Noctua, Chieftech, HardwareLabs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Logic-Elliven

Activity: 88
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:18:57 AM

If you use an electrictricity to heat your room or house, crypto mining rigs of any type are a great iea:
As 99.999% of the electricity ut into a mining rig is turned into heat; any coin you mine is essentially free.

A # of manufacturers are aware of this and have produced 'heaters' that also mine:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/265364-french-startup-unveils-heater-doubles-cryptocurrency-miner

If you use gas or some other hydrocarbon fuel to heat your home, the above is not as true:
Electricity produced from heat by burning a fuel is not not 100% efficient.
Most turbines are only 40% efficient IIRC and then there are transmission line losses etc.
This means that only ~ 35% of the fuel burned to make the electricity arrives at  your mining rig to e turned back into heat, (and crypto) while 100% of locally burned fuel is turned into heat...
So in a gas heated home mining crypto for heat is only 35% as efficient as the gas heater...

Piskeante

Activity: 924
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:42:43 AM

for the last 5 months, all my apartment did not need any type of heating.

But.....in summer, OMG , my air conditioning will work hard, really hard. also my fans for moving the air into the room.

BTC no more than 6k by end of 2019. ETH no more than 300$ by end 2019. Huge market manipulation, huge amount of scammers and hypers.
mo35

Activity: 142
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:56:25 AM

Been doint that for past 3 years works like charm, for 80 m2 2x6 card rigs makes wonders. Since im not using any centrally provided heating options , before i had to spend electricity to heat up my apartment anyway , now im earning and at same time heating my place up. When spring comes im moving my heaters to farm location where rest of my rigs reside.

Just make sure not to cheap out on cards (im usings nvidia strix for home heating) , use 6 pin risers , use good psus , dont overload them and forget about splitters , molex , sata cables for risers etc. , just to be on safe side , you dont want any warm cables or shity connectors.
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 01:09:58 PM

Yes. From Oct - Feb my furnace only ran for 14 hours total for a 3,500 sqft house. I have a rather large farm in the basement. In the summer I vent everything outside, however I just installed a hybrid hot water heater that uses a heat pump to heat the water so I have that sourcing it's air from my mining room and exhausting it's cool air into my mining room.
Comino (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 01:17:27 PM

Been doing that for past 3 years works like charm, for 80 m2 2x6 card rigs makes wonders. Since im not using any centrally provided heating options , before i had to spend electricity to heat up my apartment anyway , now im earning and at same time heating my place up. When spring comes im moving my heaters to farm location where rest of my rigs reside.

Just make sure not to cheap out on cards (im usings nvidia strix for home heating) , use 6 pin risers , use good psus , dont overload them and forget about splitters , molex , sata cables for risers etc. , just to be on safe side , you dont want any warm cables or shity connectors.

That's exactly what i meant! ASUS P106−100 6G, ventilators 3 NOCTUA NF-A14 PPC-2000 PWM, radiator Black Ice NEMESIS GTX420 and powerblocks Chieftech PROTON BDF-750C 750. The review: https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2017/12/25/cryptocurrency-miner-ethereum-heater

For sure you don't need a heater in a warm climate, then you shoul better open a mining facility in the mountains like the Chinese  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

**COMINO** 
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 03:22:05 PM

All the winters are spent good with miner-heating for me. I literally don't have to switch on the home heater, my 3 rigs of 3 cards (XFX RX 480 8 GB) each are enough to heat up at least 2 rooms pretty good.

In summers, I just switch off the miners and pack them up, and then take them out back again in Winters. So it's like 6 months of mining and 6 months of resting for the GPUs. Smiley
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 03:30:44 PM

I’m able to heat my entire bedroom during the winter with a couple RX 470s running in my room, and when the temperatures come up in the spring like what’s happening right now where I live, I move them to my garage. Simple, easy, relatively quiet, and I don’t lose anything from this sort of setup.
teskostecenje

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

I already did that this winter,0 $ spent on gas for heating my appartment of 62 m2 Grin And before anyone says that i am hurting the environment my heat was coming from green sources- 10x1080ti cards,currently i am at 28c with windows opened for freash air.Gonna be a fun spring Cool
Comino (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 08:11:42 PM

Ventilator or liquid-cooled GPU?

**COMINO** 
teskostecenje

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 08:17:51 PM

they are asus strixs and zotac amp extreme 3 fan cards,dont really trust liquid cooling(yeah i know that i am probably wrong but thats just my opinion man Grin)Last year i had room full with rx cards and i can tell you it was a living hell durring july-august period Grin
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 08:30:33 PM

Basically using my rig for heating is exactly what I did in winter. I turned off the radiator and let my 1.2kW monster provide the much-needed heat Smiley

Comino (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2018, 08:32:40 PM

they are asus strixs and zotac amp extreme 3 fan cards,dont really trust liquid cooling(yeah i know that i am probably wrong but thats just my opinion man Grin)Last year i had room full with rx cards and i can tell you it was a living hell durring july-august period Grin

More noise then? And overheated cards? Seems to me that liquid cooling is more effective. July and August is always a living hell

**COMINO** 
QuantumProofGhost

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 08:45:55 PM

Simple answer is electric heaters don't do anything special to make extra heat, it's just the normal heat output from wattage expenditure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: