Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:23:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin at $600 dollars  (Read 1964 times)
ripple (OP)

Activity: 287
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:56:07 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 01:07:57 PM by ripple

Bitcoin reaching $600 is a significant breakthrough as the price a year ago was around $12, which is a 50 times increase (or near 5,000%).

Two years ago on 14th November 2011 was only $3, which is a staggering 200 times increase (near 20,000%).

The price has been rising at a magnificent rate proving Bitcoins are in huge demand around the world.

Congrats to those producing or buying Bitcoins a year ago! And even more celebrations to those mining two years ago!  

Even those joining the bandwagon in April this year, the time of the Bitcoin crash, when Bitcoins tumbled from $250 to $80, have seen a profitable increase in Bitcoin prices.

At this rate the price could soon reach $800 and mining rigs put on hold may be worthwhile again.

Of course a word of caution before you buy the latest mining rig, or spend your life savings on Bitcoins... Just ask yourself if you can afford to lose a significant portion of what you buy if the price reverses for a period of time. Temporary swings occur in all assets and if gold bullion can be used as an example, this took a 28% dive (from $1,774 to $1,284) in the last year after a ten year steady rise.

$1,000 or bust! :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:28:38 PM

we will see what happens after the congress meeting today in the USA. It could very well plummet
moderate

Activity: 98

nearly dead

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:37:54 PM

The price has been rising at a magnificent rate proving Bitcoins are in huge demand around the world.

I'm interested in knowing about this sudden huge demand, can you explain it? I certainly cannot understand why it is raising $100 each couple days.
MGUK

Activity: 83

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:06:02 PM

I'm interested in knowing about this sudden huge demand, can you explain it? I certainly cannot understand why it is raising $100 each couple days.

Nobody can explain it. Some will say the chinese discovering it (to them, I would say, what happened when the West discovered it in 2011...?) others say it's with silkroad being gone (to them I would say: why is a few hundred million dollars worth of bitcoin not being spent yearly a good thing?)

Some will say it's hype, a rise in value without anything to back it up. People getting excited for no reason. Sort of like what happen in a bubble....

Make your own mind up. Don't take what anyone says as fact without learning why.
MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:07:41 PM

Noone can understand with certainty (maybe excange owners cause they should know who is buying and depositing money).
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:45:45 PM

Nobody can explain it. Some will say the chinese discovering it (to them, I would say, what happened when the West discovered it in 2011...?) others say it's with silkroad being gone (to them I would say: why is a few hundred million dollars worth of bitcoin not being spent yearly a good thing?)

Some will say it's hype, a rise in value without anything to back it up. People getting excited for no reason. Sort of like what happen in a bubble....

Make your own mind up. Don't take what anyone says as fact without learning why.

I'd say the silkroad bust increased illegal business on TOR, the news reached many people that probably didn't know TOR stuff existed. Then with minimal effort, they can proceed to find other market place such as "sheep market" or BMR.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
cho

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

Boar with me

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:46:38 PM

The facts that the price is higher on BTC China, and that BTC China has taken such a huge share of bitcoin trade, let me think China is leading the raise.

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
MGUK

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:50:31 PM

I'd say the silkroad bust increased illegal business on TOR, the news reached many people that probably didn't know TOR stuff existed. Then with minimal effort, they can proceed to find other market place such as "sheep market" or BMR.

Not sure, transaction volume isn't actually going up though.

The facts that the price is higher on BTC China, and that BTC China has taken such a huge share of bitcoin trade, let me think China is leading the raise.

I agree with this. China is leading the rise, because they're discovering Bitcoin. But as I said, it's rising too quick, same as when the west discovered bitcoin in 2011 causing the first bubble.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:54:55 PM

I agree with this. China is leading the rise, because they're discovering Bitcoin. But as I said, it's rising too quick, same as when the west discovered bitcoin in 2011 causing the first bubble.

um transaction has gone WAY up compared to before silkroad bust:
http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

we will see what happens after the congress meeting today in the USA. It could very well plummet

LOL...I'd buy that dip!

I'm grumpy!!
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:57:55 PM

That, and that the price moves up faster during China daylight hours.

I'm grumpy!!
mvidetto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:00:00 PM

All the meanwhile, over at bitstamp the price is $520.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 03:04:39 PM

But as I said, it's rising too quick, same as when the west discovered bitcoin in 2011 causing the first bubble.

I think you are correct in saying this is bubble.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:04:48 PM

bitstamp - hard to get money in, easy out (coinbase). gox - hard to get money out, easy in. makes sense. there's a million dollars per hour waiting for someone who can establish arbitrage between the two banking systems Smiley

i am satoshi
MGUK

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:24:36 PM

um transaction has gone WAY up compared to before silkroad bust:
http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular

I stand corrected. I should have said something more along the lines of "transaction volume isn't going up at anywhere near the same rate as the price"

Still though, the transaction volume is only 15% higher than in April so doesn't fully explain the 100%+ increase in price.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:34:57 PM

But as I said, it's rising too quick, same as when the west discovered bitcoin in 2011 causing the first bubble.

I think you are correct in saying this is bubble.
Yawn.

Says the guy on the dev team  of a competing cyrptocurrency.

Why are humans so simple ... / predictable / basic / obvious ...

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: