Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:49:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you are using PIA as your VPN provider, you should consider changing it ASAP  (Read 204 times)
Teryokla (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 03:16:46 PM

Hello all. Wanted to share some shady things. If you are dealing with crypto currencies, you should know about the risks. I wanted to be extra secure so I used PIA for about a year since starting this crypto business. But to my surprise, they hired Mark Karpeles as the one of their execs. A man responsible for allegedly scamming many people with very shady business practices and in crypto currencies nontheless. He is now on bail and maybe even facing jail. Here's a link to this story. https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/22/mt-gox-chief-returns-as-cto-of-vpn-giant/

Anyway, I’m really baffled and I won’t trust PIA again. What are you guys using? I’m thinking about ProtonVPN or NordVPN (just got Nord's free trial and it's quite good). Or you aren’t as paranoid as me?

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 10:53:03 PM

Strange one I used to use Private Internet access a few years ago. Seems a little odd that they would employ him as a chief technology officer given the circumstances he's in and what he has previously been associated with him.

I'm not sure on alternatives I remember PIA having some good policies and having no logs if I remember correctly. But, if you don't want to use them because of this then I'm not really too sure on good alternatives that provide the same service that PIA did. It depends on what you want a VPN for too. Will using Tor browser suffice for you?
Teryokla (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 06:29:46 AM

Strange one I used to use Private Internet access a few years ago. Seems a little odd that they would employ him as a chief technology officer given the circumstances he's in and what he has previously been associated with him.

I'm not sure on alternatives I remember PIA having some good policies and having no logs if I remember correctly. But, if you don't want to use them because of this then I'm not really too sure on good alternatives that provide the same service that PIA did. It depends on what you want a VPN for too. Will using Tor browser suffice for you?

Yeah, it is very strange and unexpected, what were they thinking? I was considering changing PIA for a while now, because it doesn't support Netflix anymore. Then I discovered that it is registered in the US. It means that the government could take their records anytime even though they claim that they do not store any logs (google 14 eyes). I don't have anything to hide, but I don't want ISP selling my data to marketers. I have used Tor, but it is quite slow and I'd rather pay some extra money for speed and security. I did my research and like I said, NordVPN and ProtonVPN are the ones I'm considering (Netlix; based in Panama and Switzerland).

Do you use anything Welsh? Or do you think that it is overkill if talking strictly about security of cryptos?
Teryokla (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:28:39 AM

You guys saw their official statement? (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2018/04/why-i-hired-mt-gox-ex-ceo-mark-karpeles-as-cto-of-london-trust-media/)

Well this didn't make anything clear... Not a single word about the future. It will be very hard to regain the trust I think.
cryptorTUX

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:36:28 AM

I never trusted PIA tbh. Here's the quick overview of proton vs nordvpn.
Protonvpn gives you free 3 countries: USA. Japan and Netherlands. They doesn't support server hops as I do believe but are overall somewhat good VPN since those same guys owns popular private email Proton mail.

Honestly I do believe nordvpn is better in this case since they support many more countries, support hops which enable you to mask yourself even more although with the cost of Internet speed and above all allow you to do dedicated IP address which can come handy for having new paypal, amazon,  eBay. Netflix or any other service out there.

Plus to add that both of these are looted on privacytools.io
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:35:16 AM

Yeah, it is very strange and unexpected, what were they thinking? I was considering changing PIA for a while now, because it doesn't support Netflix anymore. Then I discovered that it is registered in the US. It means that the government could take their records anytime even though they claim that they do not store any logs (google 14 eyes).

If I recall correctly, PIA have previously been subpoenaed by the FBI, and it was confirmed that they kept no logs.

In terms of comparing VPNs, have a look at https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section. You won't find a more thorough review of so many VPNs anywhere else online.
Teryokla (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 02:15:58 PM

Thanks for your replies. Since I've enjoyed my trial with good speeds I've decided to pick up NordVPN, found a code GIFT75 (just put it in checkout at https://nordvpn.com/) and got a deal for 3 bucks a month. Better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks for your help Smiley
ukloonion

Activity: 46
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 11:37:52 PM

PIA is the vpn recommended all over the web, even the ones recommended to chinese users to circumvent the great firewall of china. Looks like we'll have to pick another one instead, anything involving the mt gox guy is a definite no

https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=2091065
DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Team NOW! ⚡
Teryokla (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:25:00 PM

PIA is the vpn recommended all over the web, even the ones recommended to chinese users to circumvent the great firewall of china. Looks like we'll have to pick another one instead, anything involving the mt gox guy is a definite no

Well, I've heard NordVPN is also good at bypassing great firewall of China. But yeah, that was a baffling decision.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: