Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:56:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt 100 key question...  (Read 767 times)
fattypig (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 01:39:45 PM

I read on wiki it says that you can only backup 100 key of Bitcoin-QT.. if you have more then that some of the Bitcoin would be lost..

Can anybody explain and probably come out with a solution if I want to have 110 keys? If you are really curious you can ask me why I need so much key Smiley

moderate

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:47:01 PM

I read on wiki it says that you can only backup 100 key of Bitcoin-QT.. if you have more then that some of the Bitcoin would be lost..

Can anybody explain and probably come out with a solution if I want to have 110 keys? If you are really curious you can ask me why I need so much key Smiley

Without a link to this wiki page, you certainly misread it. There is a pool of keys, which defaults to 100 keys. Bitcoins don't get lost, but you need to make another backup after refilling the pool because now you will be receiving keys from this pool which you don't have a backup yet. You need "so much key" because it is how the client works, you get new ones on completed transactions.

If you want a pool of 110 keys, pass -keypool=110.
fattypig (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 02:03:18 PM

Without a link to this wiki page, you certainly misread it. There is a pool of keys, which defaults to 100 keys. Bitcoins don't get lost, but you need to make another backup after refilling the pool because now you will be receiving keys from this pool which you don't have a backup yet. You need "so much key" because it is how the client works, you get new ones on completed transactions.

I don't know if I get you right, you are saying that after getting more then 100 keys I just do another backup and I am safe? and for the command -keypool=110 it is just to unlock so that I can get more then 100 key?

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:20:51 PM

I don't know if I get you right, you are saying that after getting more then 100 keys I just do another backup and I am safe? and for the command -keypool=110 it is just to unlock so that I can get more then 100 key?
Yup, with default wallet, you need to back it up every 100 transactions. The new backup will obviously contain all keys since wallet's creation.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
fattypig (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 03:08:16 PM

Yup, with default wallet, you need to back it up every 100 transactions. The new backup will obviously contain all keys since wallet's creation.

Thanks, now I know I need to backup once in a while (every 100 keys). The explanation on wiki was quite confuse at first...

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:13:00 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Key_pool 
Basically you have 100 pre-generated addresses in your wallet and you use them when you create an address or send a transaction.  As long as you haven't used all 100 of these addresses since your last backup it will still be valid.

To increase the number of pre-generated addresses in your wallet, add keypool=number_of_keys_you_want to your bitcoin.conf file or run bitcoin with the previously mentioned command line option.

moderate

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:26:07 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Key_pool 
Basically you have 100 pre-generated addresses in your wallet and you use them when you create an address or send a transaction.  As long as you haven't used all 100 of these addresses since your last backup it will still be valid.

To increase the number of pre-generated addresses in your wallet, add keypool=number_of_keys_you_want to your bitcoin.conf file or run bitcoin with the previously mentioned command line option.

Be sure to repeat all that was already said in the first reply, you're free to use 2 or more replies for that.
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:37:18 PM

Be sure to repeat all that was already said in the first reply, you're free to use 2 or more replies for that.
I don't know what you are trying to say. Embarrassed  Is it possible you replied to the wrong thread? Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: