Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:23:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to do effective research on a coin you don’t know?  (Read 93 times)
KikiBroos (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 05:20:45 PM

As many experience, researching a coin can take a long time. I always do the following:

1)   Check the website of the coin itself and try to distinguish content from marketing talk.
2)   Check www.coinmarketcap to see what the current price is and what the price did in the past.
3)   Check the charts of www.coincalendar.cc to check what the influence of past events were and check what the upcoming events/plans are.
4)   Check the communities and discuss with them.

What could I do more effectively? And what are your steps? Huh
strwy09

Activity: 138

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:20:00 AM

Information on ICO projects was collected, including white papers, website information, the GitHub repository at ICO, and the founding team.
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:53:19 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2018, 05:05:43 AM by butka

Information on ICO projects was collected, including white papers, website information, the GitHub repository at ICO, and the founding team.
Yes, the first thing to check is the white paper. It can often happen that the white paper is poorly written. This by itself speaks a lot. I also tend to look for misprints. If you find mistakes, like typos or factual mistakes, it could be a sign of a sloppy project and a red flag.

Taking a look at GitHub, if it's an open source project, is another good advice. In particular, you would want to check the number of commits of the developers team. That is, check how active they are.

And finally, check the people behind the new coin or ICO. Check their past history. Did they have any other projects in the past? How successful those project were?
chutchmcgillicutty

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:56:52 AM

Yes, the first thing to check is the white paper. It can often happen that the white paper is poorly written. This by itself speaks a lot. I also tend to look for misprints. If you find mistakes, like typos or factual mistakes, it could be a sign of a sloppy project and a red flag.

Taking a look at GitHub, if it's an open source project, is another good advice. In particular, you would want to check the number of commits of the developers team. That is, check how active they are.

And finally, check the people behind the ICO. Check their past history. Did they have any other ICO's in the past? How successful those ICO's were?

In addition to the above...
I would find the coin on a forum and read about it there.
Also post in this forum and ask other people what they think about it.
Look at the coin itself and graph it
Also search youtube

Shocked Cool

GLOBAL DECENTRALIZED ADVERTISING EXCHANGE

Token sale: MAY 21

▄█▄      ▄█▄        
                                 █████    █████       
                        ▄██▄     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▄█▄    ▀██▀                           
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
                ▀█▀                                    
          ▄                      ▄█▄      ▄█▄        
         ▀█▀           ▄██▄    █████    █████       
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▀█▀                                    
           ▄                      ▄█▄     ▄█▄        
          ▀█▀            ▄██▄   █████   █████       
    ██            ▄█▄   ▀██▀    ▀█▀     ▀█▀        
             ▄    ▀█▀                                 
            ▀█▀                         ▄█▄           
       ██              ▄█▄   ▄██▄    █████          
                  ▄    ▀█▀   ▀██▀     ▀█▀           
                 ▀█▀                                   
            ██                   ▄██▄                 
                    ▄     ▄█▄   ▀██▀                 
                   ▀█▀    ▀█▀                          

▄█   ▄█  ▄█        ▄█████▄   ▀█▄     ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▄▄▄▄▄   ██▀   ▀██    ▀█▄  ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▀▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ████   
██   ██  ██   ██  ██▄   ▄█    ▄██▀▀██▄   
▀██████▀  ▀██████▀  ▀███████▀   ▄██▀   ▀██▄
Telegram
Facebook
ANN Thread
Youtube
LinkedIn
Twitter
Medium
Reddit
Github
Akiko

Activity: 896
Merit: 198

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:59:02 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2018, 03:50:28 PM by Akiko

As many experience, researching a coin can take a long time. I always do the following:

1)   Check the website of the coin itself and try to distinguish content from marketing talk.
2)   Check www.coinmarketcap to see what the current price is and what the price did in the past.
3)   Check the charts of www.coincalendar.cc to check what the influence of past events were and check what the upcoming events/plans are.

That is also good idea to make research about it, but we need also to check white paper. So we can know if tje project is good or not.

Crytptomeniac

Activity: 240

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:07:09 PM

And finally, check the people behind the new coin or ICO. Check their past history. Did they have any other projects in the past? How successful those project were?

The importance of a whitepaper when it comes to determining the legitimacy of a coin cannot be stressed well enough. If the white paper is not good and offers no useful information or insight on the project then it is most likely a scam which means the coin will not last long. Also check their social media platforms and their linkedIn pages as these offer a lot of insight
suburban123

Activity: 248
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:23:03 PM

Relatively reliable ICOs have a roadmap available to investors. It should describe the stages of financing, the tasks for which money will be spent, and the terms of work. Terms and tasks should look realistic. It's bad if the creators promise to make an incredible breakthrough in a short time or claim that they have, for example, a beta version of the application and do not give details of its work or links to the code.
Jaycee99

Activity: 1036
Merit: 273

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:58:38 PM

That is also good idea to make research about it, but we need also to check white paper. So know if tje project is good or not.

For me Here is my steps to make success.

1. When looking for a right altcoin I always look at the video presentation the summary of the white paper itself as  I say but just to be true the answer is always at white paper

so do not be bothered respect oyher peoples opinion.

2. Not being a copycat here I to see that past value and why? to study how bitcoin value works
the exact details of the candle stick when we look at it to see what will happen

3. Download blockfolio much easier than going to an exchange on a exchange wallet. See the charts if it is good.
svobodnyi

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:01:34 PM

The right steps! To this you can only add a study of white paper, the study of the team itself, the study of possible demand ...

tdeannova

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:08:26 PM

maybe the thing I often do is always discuss with their community and share what info developers will do in the near future. I am also very excited if the developer always do a presentation with video streaming related to the update that has been done.
ccryptopark

Activity: 300
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:17:31 PM

I think more than that is looking at the team along with reading the whitepaper. Partnerships are a big plus too. If you're looking for a good project, look into Algebraix. Stellar team and they have a working app out. algebraix.io
dusunbesemah

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:20:35 PM

Check by looking at the coin in the coinmarketcap whether it is present or not, if you have not checked on his website or asked your senior or asked in this forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: