Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:29:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Destroying Bitcoin with magnet links?  (Read 1547 times)
yokosan (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:47:24 PM

I know stunts have already been performed with embedding dubious stuff into the block chain.

But, given how companies like RIAA, MPAA, etc, seem to be able to command ISPs..

What if somebody starts embedding magnet links in the block chain? and what if a client is released that can be used to extract those links?

Now all miners are distributors of pirate content (according to the archaic laws of these corporations)

If that happens then the powers that be will consider the Bitcoin network a threat and try to stamp it out. First the bitcoin site would be blocked, then DMCA takedown notices and threats would go out to anybody that dares distribute a client or miner. ISP level filters may even be put in place to cull the plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:50:44 PM

Destroying bitcoin innovation in the USA would be the only result. Leading to further decline in American relevance on the global stage.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:09:16 PM

If that happens then the powers that be will consider the Bitcoin network a threat and try to stamp it out. First the bitcoin site would be blocked, then DMCA takedown notices and threats would go out to anybody that dares distribute a client or miner. ISP level filters may even be put in place to cull the plague.

Those media groups have money and they are used to attacking people unable to defend themselves. They will get a different reaction if they attack a multi-billion dollar distributed economy.

Ask yourself this: What will make the Bitcoin client eventually attain the title of "most looked-over", "most secure" and "most tested" piece of code/human machinery in the entire history of humanity?

Money.

Eventually Bitcoin will be running a hundred billion or trillion dollar empire. Please movie groups, attack us, and fall faster than you can ever imagine.

Ask yourself this: What benefit will there be to attacking the most distributed and secure piece of information ever created by our civilisation and running an economy that will soon dwarf most countries?

None.

You attack Bitcoin because of bad stuff in the blockchain, you die. Its actually that simple. There is no path in which they have success.
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:22:20 PM

Those media groups have money and they are used to attacking people unable to defend themselves. They will get a different reaction if they attack a multi-billion dollar distributed economy.

Ask yourself this: What will make the Bitcoin client eventually attain the title of "most looked-over", "most secure" and "most tested" piece of code/human machinery in the entire history of humanity?

Money.

Eventually Bitcoin will be running a hundred billion or trillion dollar empire. Please movie groups, attack us, and fall faster than you can ever imagine.

Ask yourself this: What benefit will there be to attacking the most distributed and secure piece of information ever created by our civilisation and running an economy that will soon dwarf most countries?

None.

You attack Bitcoin because of bad stuff in the blockchain, you die. Its actually that simple. There is no path in which they have success.

The implications of this are interesting to me. It would seem to be roughly analogous to attacking a small undeveloped country, one which has no standing military, and declaring that all their assets are now worth zero. Not just zero elsewhere, but mandating that they be worth zero on that island as well. Seems pretty unlikely to succeed.

Never mind the "illegal number" argument that has been rehashed a million times over. (It is an interesting concept, where we draw the line between the plausible deniability of it.)

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:53:56 AM

The only way to attack bitcoin, is to have more hashing power than the whole network. Good luck with that. And if they fail, they make the network more secure anyway.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 06:40:51 PM

Done, I've just destroyed Namecoin: http://explorer.dot-bit.org/n/122135
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: