Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:20:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the go-to/most reliable source for BTC exchange rates?  (Read 635 times)
BenJ (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:49:26 PM

Obviously there's no objective measure of its value compared to fiat currencies, but what source do most people go by?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
J3tt

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:52:39 PM

https://btc-e.com/ is my personal favorite.
merlin3650

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

It also depends on the exchange you use as well. MtGox may say one thing, but the exchange that you use may say another. My advice, use the rate from the exchange you trust. I use Coinbase.com. The highest that i have seen is MtGox, however, people don't like them because of all the problems they have been having.
RachelManning1991

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:28:26 PM

It also depends on the exchange you use as well. MtGox may say one thing, but the exchange that you use may say another. My advice, use the rate from the exchange you trust. I use Coinbase.com. The highest that i have seen is MtGox, however, people don't like them because of all the problems they have been having.

I've been using MtGox to watch the value etc, but I've never traded/purchased anything on there. Also they require government issued paper before you are able to do anything useful.. Is that normal..? I mean, I haven't used coinbase before and I'm wondering if they also require something like that in order to sell/buy bitcoins because I'm soon looking to sell some bitcoins.

J3tt

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:37:50 PM

I've been using MtGox to watch the value etc, but I've never traded/purchased anything on there. Also they require government issued paper before you are able to do anything useful.. Is that normal..? I mean, I haven't used coinbase before and I'm wondering if they also require something like that in order to sell/buy bitcoins because I'm soon looking to sell some bitcoins.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to use it for the same reason... I really don't like the idea of my gov't ID being tied to my BTC activities...  Undecided
sionsandman

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:57:36 PM

Yeah, I'm hesitant to use it for the same reason... I really don't like the idea of my gov't ID being tied to my BTC activities...  Undecided

Same here.

I want to have the right to keep this private.
RachelManning1991

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

Yeah, I'm hesitant to use it for the same reason... I really don't like the idea of my gov't ID being tied to my BTC activities...  Undecided

I'm not worried about my BTC activities since I'm only mining, buying and selling. But even though I don't engage in certain activities I still want to keep BTC private. It's like when people ask me why I use TrueCrypt or a vpn, it's not that I do illegal stuff, I just like privacy and don't want advertisers and others to take advantage of me. But since I'm not a resident of the US I don't like my personal information in ANY us-based hands...
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 07:15:00 PM

We use Bitpay's exchange rate.

https://bitpay.com/bitcoin-exchange-rates

BitPay consolidates market depth from multiple exchanges to provide buyers with a Bitcoin Best Bid (BBB) exchange rate. BitPay currently calculates BBB based on Bitcoin/US Dollar rates because of the maximum liquidity.

To calculate the exchange rate for US Dollars, we pull the market depth from exchanges with adequate liquidity and withdrawal capability in USA and the Eurozone. The exchange order books are merged into a Consolidated Level II table.

The BBB is calculated by simulating an auto-routing market sell order, across all exchanges, with zero commission fees. Buyers will always get a better value by spending their bitcoins at a BitPay merchant than by selling them on an exchange.

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
successquik

Activity: 23

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:25:13 AM

Love the charts here:  http://bitcoinity.org/markets/bitstamp/USD

You can pick from the major exchanges, too.

SQ
tinyhunter112

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 11:39:13 AM

Obviously there's no objective measure of its value compared to fiat currencies, but what source do most people go by?
MintDiceSupport

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

MintDice Support

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 08:01:42 PM

Cryptocompare is a popular site-it compares a variety of exchanges' prices in real-time.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/btc/markets/USD

Mintdice.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: