Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:28:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I'm boycotting bitcoins.  (Read 16412 times)
Digicoiner

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

In Crypto I trust.

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:11:40 PM

Maybe the white male developers couldn't get jobs in big corporations so they had to be innovative.

Bitcoin and other digital currencies are meant to be for everyone and will probably help many in developing countries without bank accounts.  Do some research.  It's never too late to be involved.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:52:03 PM

This just in: Bitcoin is biased against stupid people!

Next up: water is wet, fire hot
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:09:15 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 10:33:32 PM by beetcoin

It's inherently classist. Only those with access to moderately high levels of technology can spend or receive it. Only those with access to exceedingly high levels of technology can "mine" it. Heterosexual, middle class or higher white males are disproportionally represented in the demographics of bitcoin users. Bitcoin only serves to uphold the current kyriarchal socioeconomic structures by making sure the privileged become more privileged.

And it's a terrible idea. You spend more on your parents' electricity bill and replacing burnt out GPUs that your parents buy for christmas and birthdays than you actually theoretically make.

Bitcoins are basically just this weird attempt by lolbertarian children to make their own currency and play stock market and dodge taxes.

i'm pretty sure, knowing what you know now, you would have bought bitcoin 3 weeks ago when it was $110.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:42:15 PM

It's inherently classist. Only those with access to moderately high levels of technology can spend or receive it. Only those with access to exceedingly high levels of technology can "mine" it. Heterosexual, middle class or higher white males are disproportionally represented in the demographics of bitcoin users. Bitcoin only serves to uphold the current kyriarchal socioeconomic structures by making sure the privileged become more privileged.

And it's a terrible idea. You spend more on your parents' electricity bill and replacing burnt out GPUs that your parents buy for christmas and birthdays than you actually theoretically make.

Bitcoins are basically just this weird attempt by lolbertarian children to make their own currency and play stock market and dodge taxes.

i'm pretty sure, knowing what you know now, you would have bought bitcoin 3 weeks ago when it was $110.

Sure he would have bought.

And then sold and used his profits to help homosexual low class black women with little access to technology.

Right, OP?

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:47:15 PM

Sure he would have bought.

And then sold and used his profits to help homosexual low class black women with little access to technology.

Right, OP?

first off, i'd like to say that i do believe in bitcoins... but it's still a very high risk asset to hold. with that said, i think there are always a few guys like these in a crowd. he made this post, and if BTC goes down the drain he'll refer back to it and tell everyone "i TOLD you guys BTC was bullshit," feeling mighty and presciently all-knowing. if BTC goes to the moon, establishes a base, and then flies off to mars... then he'll keep his mouth shut (years down the road). it's a win/win scenario.
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:50:48 PM

Poor people in africa with smart phones are already conducting electronic transfer of funds to eachother, either with bitcoin or local currencies just like it.

Do some research.

Bitcoin is the Great Equalizer.

The very opposite of what you have presented.   The 6.5 billion other people with no access to bank accounts will, for the first time, be able to hold and transfer money.

The OP is right, apart from the sniping at stereotypes.  I'm surprised and slightly frustrated by the response because it really only reinforces the secondary point that its a toy for nerds.

Take this response above: the guy in Africa with a smart phone, power to charge it and a SIM is relatively wealthy to those around him and many others without the smart phone. Most of 6.5 billion people do have access to a bank account if only they had the cash and a completed bank application. To acquire a bitcoin they need the cash to buy equipment to access the bitcoin system.  there's a barrier to entry either way, only a technological barrier, rather than an administrative one.  

You want to address this problem, you have to recognise it, and help make the equipment available - thats the difference that the bitcoin can have.  I'm surprised people dont see this and don't understand this, responding with hostility, or is it denial?  Huh
Sage

Activity: 632

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:04:07 PM

May as well boycott the tide my friend.  See how that goes for you.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:07:44 PM

Everyone picks up bitcoin easily!
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:58:17 PM

Poor people in africa with smart phones are already conducting electronic transfer of funds to eachother, either with bitcoin or local currencies just like it.

Do some research.

Bitcoin is the Great Equalizer.

The very opposite of what you have presented.   The 6.5 billion other people with no access to bank accounts will, for the first time, be able to hold and transfer money.

The OP is right, apart from the sniping at stereotypes.  I'm surprised and slightly frustrated by the response because it really only reinforces the secondary point that its a toy for nerds.

Take this response above: the guy in Africa with a smart phone, power to charge it and a SIM is relatively wealthy to those around him and many others without the smart phone. Most of 6.5 billion people do have access to a bank account if only they had the cash and a completed bank application. To acquire a bitcoin they need the cash to buy equipment to access the bitcoin system.  there's a barrier to entry either way, only a technological barrier, rather than an administrative one.  

You want to address this problem, you have to recognise it, and help make the equipment available - thats the difference that the bitcoin can have.  I'm surprised people dont see this and don't understand this, responding with hostility, or is it denial?  Huh

the scammers from nigeria and ghana can manage to access the internet to rob people and trick them into transferring money  for many years now
if they can do that they could also contact a bitcoin exchange and arrange  to buy a few coins

im sure banking regulations in africa are  not too strict either so anyone with some money could invest in btc 

TR4L

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:09:31 AM

Yes, because China, who is currently moving most of the money, are all middle class or higher white males and fit your general stereotype perfectly  Roll Eyes
This comment doesn't even deserve a proper response.

White people are 8% of the world population. White males are about half of that. So either prove less than 4% of bitcoin users are white males or admit you're full of BS.

You're racist!  You're boycotting it because white people use it?  RACIST!  Go away.
gjbronco

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:15:16 AM

bitcoin will benefit the poor more than rich.

simply because bitcoin cannot be devalued, unlike national currencies......

poor people always suffer the most during inflation

Inflation is a wealth transfer from the people to wall street to the central banks.
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:24:10 AM

Eventually you will give in to btc!

KonstantinosM

Activity: 1492
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:28:15 AM

Bitcoin is one of the greatest things that ever happened. It leveled the financial plane so that all of us can be free from the mess of the previous system if we chose to use it.

The community is here with the common purpose to promote it, discuss it and build on top of it. If I where you, I'd educate myself first, delete my account and then create another one to have a fresh start in this great part of history.

If you are closed minded and ignorant enough of reality as well as naive enough to believe the fiat of your government and the bankers have your best interest in mind you should stay out of the crypto scene.

Since-fuckyou-rely
the bitcoin community

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:37:12 AM

bitcoin is a step in the right direction. its not the end of the line though. there will always be improvements. and while white men may be over represented, at least its YOUNG open minded and educated people who are gaining power and welath, not old, status quo elitists for the most part. i should add, its not inherent in bitcoin that it will be focused toward men more then women. it is gender roles in society that is responsible for this.

if i had to choose bitcoins user population to be the elite class, i would do it in a second. bitcoin users are the best of the population. and yes, a lot are libertarian. as are a lot of innovators these days. libertarian today in america just means someone who is sick of the current political system. at least to me. i dont think the average libertarian wants corporations to control the world.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 12:43:29 AM

My goodness, you're dumber than a turd. EVERY point you make is flat out wrong. I'm actually surprised you even know how to type.

theecoinomist

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:46:16 AM

Going pretty good so far

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 05:44:11 PM

Bitcoin is completely voluntary. In contrast to FIAT Currencies nobody forces you to use Bitcoin and hopefully no one ever will.

That really sums it up, and it's fundamental difference compared to fiat. No one is forced to use it, but people do want to use it because they know there is no central issuing agency that can play with inflation however they fucking want.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Arksun

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:50:12 PM

Same arguments can be applied to using the internet itself, yet here you are, using the internet to post, will you be boycotting yourself from the internet as well to reaffirm your point? Smiley

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:02:45 PM

Bitcoin is completely voluntary. In contrast to FIAT Currencies nobody forces you to use Bitcoin and hopefully no one ever will.

That really sums it up, and it's fundamental difference compared to fiat. No one is forced to use it, but people do want to use it because they know there is no central issuing agency that can play with inflation however they fucking want.

No one really has to use fiat currency either.

True; they could always sit in jail for failing to pay their taxes Smiley

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:11:21 PM

No one really has to use fiat currency either.

True; they could always sit in jail for failing to pay their taxes Smiley

Do you know of any case where anyone has ever been put in jail for failing to pay their taxes, when they had no money to pay their taxes with?

That would imply vagrancy; I'm not sure which is better.  In one case, you get shelter and meals, but in the other case, you're less likely to be sexually assaulted...

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: