Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:47:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New research paper exploting air-gapped wallets: "BeatCoin"  (Read 172 times)
PhoenixFire (OP)

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 01:03:24 AM

https://cyber.bgu.ac.il//advanced-cyber/airgap
There are a couple of videos on the page above, but this is the direct link to the "BeatCoin" paper's pdf.

I've seen exploits of this nature in the past but this one can use the GPIO pins on a raspberry pi to transmit the data (see first video). Given that historically Armory has offered downloads for the raspberry pi, and many here use the split online-offline/cold storage setup, I've posted here for awareness/discussion. Relevant to more typical computers/laptops too.

This all assumes the offline machine has been compromised. While we can minimise the chances of that by not attaching USB drives and other external media, the reality is that software upgrades to the offline system (i.e. Armory's signer) do need to happen to ensure compatibility from time to time. Excluding that, there is still the need to get transactions on and off the offline system, which provides the opportunity for an attacker if the online system is compromised.
For the RPi: this thread by TierNolan seems to offer an alternative to using USB devices for data transfer in order to help keep the offline system clean/secure. I'm unsure whether the GPIO being in use would mitigate outgoing transmissions by malware, but inclined to assume not.

I'm not an expert, but it certainly unnerves me to see a layer of the security model eroded like this - the suggestion of needing some sort of Faraday cage doesn't seem as excessively cautious as it used to be. Certainly a win for dedicated hardware wallets that only have the required components included Undecided
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alomar

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:25:22 PM

that's an impressive and varied list of side channel attacks...
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 10:46:25 AM

https://cyber.bgu.ac.il//advanced-cyber/airgap
There are a couple of videos on the page above, but this is the direct link to the "BeatCoin" paper's pdf.

I've seen exploits of this nature in the past but this one can use the GPIO pins on a raspberry pi to transmit the data (see first video). Given that historically Armory has offered downloads for the raspberry pi, and many here use the split online-offline/cold storage setup, I've posted here for awareness/discussion. Relevant to more typical computers/laptops too.

This all assumes the offline machine has been compromised. While we can minimise the chances of that by not attaching USB drives and other external media, the reality is that software upgrades to the offline system (i.e. Armory's signer) do need to happen to ensure compatibility from time to time. Excluding that, there is still the need to get transactions on and off the offline system, which provides the opportunity for an attacker if the online system is compromised.
For the RPi: this thread by TierNolan seems to offer an alternative to using USB devices for data transfer in order to help keep the offline system clean/secure. I'm unsure whether the GPIO being in use would mitigate outgoing transmissions by malware, but inclined to assume not.

I'm not an expert, but it certainly unnerves me to see a layer of the security model eroded like this - the suggestion of needing some sort of Faraday cage doesn't seem as excessively cautious as it used to be. Certainly a win for dedicated hardware wallets that only have the required components included Undecided

"ODINI : Escaping Sensitive Data from Faraday-Caged, Air-Gapped Computers via Magnetic Fields"
..right from https://cyber.bgu.ac.il//advanced-cyber/airgap
SCNR :-)

Ente
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: