Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallets  (Read 301 times)
Johannson (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 03:57:22 AM

Which kind of wallet do you recommend? hardware based or software based?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 06:59:33 AM
Merited by HeRetiK (1), teddy5145 (1)

This depends on what kind of wallet you want.

Hardware wallets are by far more secure than a software wallet. They require you to confirm transactions with physically pressing buttons.
They can even run on compromised computers without running risk of losing coins.
Hardware wallet do create their private keys in an safe air-gapped environment (and never leaks them).
But they are not free. They cost 60$+.

Software wallets are faster to get (just download, install, ready), they are free, but the whole security of your coins then relies on how you secure your computer.
If your PC gets infected with malware, your coins are at a big risk of getting stolen (at least the next time you open the wallet and decrypt it).

In the end it is all about what you want to achieve, how much you want to store and how good you want to sleep at night.

Buying a Hardware wallet for storing 50$ of BTC is probably not worth it. But if you plan on storing a multiple of the cost of a hardware wallet (60$+),
you might consider buying one to secure your coins.

It also depends on how frequently you are going to sign transactions.
If you just plan to hold for 5 years, a paper wallet wouldn't be any worse than a hardware wallet (neither security nor reliability).
But if you plan to regularly access your coins (buy stuff with it, send transactions) you should get a hardware wallet since those are way more intuitive to use than a paper wallet.
Regular spending from paper wallets is a pain and not advisable for new comers.

So, to sum it up:
If you want to store an amount you don't want to risk losing: Hardware wallet
If you just want to store a small amount: Software wallet
If you plan to hold long term (without accessing/spending them in the meantime): Paper wallet
If you plan to regularly access/spend them and want them to be as secured as possible: Hardware wallet

The most reputable hardware wallets are made by Ledger and Trezor.

electrobit

Activity: 317
Merit: 81

Next to Full Member Rank.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 12:32:06 AM

Bitpay or Blockchain. Decentralized wallets are better.

The Bloqqe Foundation
Businesses Age based-on Blockchain Technology.
keping1

Activity: 246

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 12:57:55 AM

I have never tried storing Bitcoin in my hardware wallet.

after I read this post I so thought to learn it

but i used to save my bitcoin for indodax, bitpay and blockchain
Tisubasha

Activity: 80

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:11:12 AM

There are many options that I recommend to choose a bitcoin wallet.
1.Bitcoin Web online wallet
bitcoin wallet that requires an internet connection to access it and make transactions. Bitcoin is stored on a 3rd party on a website owned by a bitcoin purse service company.
2.Bitcoin wallet hardware
Bitcoin purses that use physical devices, usually for maximum security
3.Bitcoin software wallet
Bitcoin purses are software or applications that can be installed on devices such as computers, smartphones and tabs
4.Bitcoin paper wallet
secret secret bitcoin purse by printing keycode through paper, via offline computer.
bobo012

Activity: 714
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:47:45 AM

Definitely go hardware wallet. Buy trezor or ledger nano s. It is a bit of investment, as it costs around 100 euro, but it is worth it.
You will get security of offline storage and convenience of hot wallet in one device
mustamin88

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:51:31 AM

I think blockchain is undoubtedly credibility and safety. Owned by BLOCKCHAIN ​​one of the best in providing the facilities needed by Bitcoin users.
Blockchain has served Bitcoin users from various countries around the world, and the transaction has already reached millions of dollars.
Online Bitcoin wallet security provided by Blockchain.info becomes a high priority for its customers to stay comfortable and quietly storing Bitcoin in Blockchain.
rollingstorm45

Activity: 448
Merit: 17

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:56:57 AM

If you prioritize security, then the answer is wallet hardware, because the wallet can be removed from the internet connection
but if you put simple in use, then the answer is the wallet software

aquantivis86

Activity: 129

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:45:08 AM

Thank you Bob123 for such a clear and concise answer to ops question.
mpfgold

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:58:30 AM

xuxi
yron51

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:59:54 AM

We need a Strong security because it is for us this is our money. It depends if you want a hardware or software this is how you care your Private key or other that can access your wallet. But i recommend the BlockChain the best security for me 💎
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:01:51 AM

Bitpay or Blockchain. Decentralized wallets are better.
They are the opposite of Decentralized Wallet...
Any wallet where you store your private keys on their server are never secure, you're pretty much trusting third party in holding your coins without any guarantee that they won't get hacked or any similar related incident in the future.

@OP
Are you going to hold your coins for a long time as a long term investment or are you gonna spend it daily?
For long time holding either Hardware Wallet if you have the money, or print your wallet on a paper and laminate it to avoid any damage on your paper.
If you're using it for spending get a Desktop Wallet, as long as you keep your PC clean and your wallet updated to latest version there won't be any trouble with your security.

shadowdio

Activity: 1876
Merit: 289

Zawardo

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:17:35 AM

It depends if you want to hold for long term with your cryptocurrency then you should use hard wallet because it's more secure than software.
margarita_free

Activity: 127
Merit: 3

Good community manager for your blockchain project

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:19:25 AM

It depends if you want to hold for long term with your cryptocurrency then you should use hard wallet because it's more secure than software.
Yep, for example, i would like to hold my BTC in wallet.
What example of hard wallet you can recommend?

Junior community manager
Celynlim

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:25:55 AM

Decentralised wallets are usually the better ones. I like those multi-currency wallets that can be used even in daily transactions. Is there any to recommend as well?
loismanny88

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:32:12 AM

Register for the ethos wallet...they claim to be universal and offering cold storage. I personally use Trezor...it's easy to use and very secure because private keys never leave your trezor.
anzhanbei1214068

Activity: 166
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:41:32 AM

I usually put ETH in imtoken.

BTC in Bitbill.

The new Bitbill is supporting BTC at the same time. The ETH and ERC20 coin and other currencies and multiple accounts, the design is also very cool, so I am also ready to try.
rushel22

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:58:28 AM

Honestly I want to recommend MyEtherwallet because this is my usage since the beginning until now but theres a report that the hackers already spread by getting tokens to us.I hope MyEtherwallet system will fixed this as soon as possible.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 12:05:29 PM

If you prioritize security, then the answer is wallet hardware, because the wallet can be removed from the internet connection
but if you put simple in use, then the answer is the wallet software

Any wallet 'can be removed from the internet'. A wallet itself is just a (either hardware- or software-) manager for your private-/public- keypairs.
An internet connection is (only) necessary if you want to broadcast your transaction (relay it to other nodes).

Software wallets are not simplier in use. This completely depends on the User interface.
The UI of electrum (software wallet) can be kind of irritating for new user, where the UI of the nano s (hardware wallet) application seems pretty 'clear' and 'intuitive'.

Yep, for example, i would like to hold my BTC in wallet.
What example of hard wallet you can recommend?

Didn't bother to read the first reply?

The most reputable hardware wallets are made by Ledger and Trezor.

CoinOnTheBeach

Activity: 90

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:15:20 PM

after the new broke out yesterday I am even too scared to login. :/

Honestly I want to recommend MyEtherwallet because this is my usage since the beginning until now but theres a report that the hackers already spread by getting tokens to us.I hope MyEtherwallet system will fixed this as soon as possible.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: