Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:50:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawing Over $10K From CoinBase Into US Bank Account - Legalities?  (Read 2398 times)
WarezWaldo (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:19:32 PM

If I withdraw more than $10K from Coinbase.com into my US bank account in a single transaction, are there any Legalities/Regulations/Restrictions Ect. that would require me or my bank to report it to any Gov/Financial Agencies?

And if so what kind of info is sent/documented and what type of Regulations ect. would be imposed on my moneys?
HoboTheClown

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:29:25 PM

Anything 10k + the banks will report the the Gov.  If you don't want the Gov to report,  withdrawl in installments.  As long as it's 9999, you're 'suppose' to be ok with reporting.  But of course gov wants you to pay taxes so if you want, report your gains.  Meaning pay your taxes on the entire withdrawls from bitcoin gains.
caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 08:57:43 PM

Actually the amount is 5000. Anytime you withdraw over 4999 you are required to report it. That changed a while back.
joeyjoe

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:49:42 PM

Personally I would sell for cash.

Bitcoin PHP programmer for hire! (HTML / CSS / JQuery / AJAX / .NET).
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:34:42 AM

Yea same, then you could deposit it anyway

HoboTheClown

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:20:54 AM

Curious, where would you sell it for cash?  I'd be scared to do it locally Smiley
joeyjoe

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:28:59 PM

Well you kinda have to do it locally unless you feel comfortable with cash in the post!

Localbitcoins.com

Choose a seller with 100% feedback that has done hundreds of transactions. It is as big of a risk of them as it is for you. They have bundles of cash on them, you would have a secure bitcoin wallet on a mobile phone / or possibly call someone at home to do the transaction for you.

If anything went wrong, chances are you could just pose as someone else and arrange another meetup with the person. It really isn't worth it for them to scam you.

People keep saying to do it in a public place, but handing over large amounts of cash in public places could present more problems. People thinking it is a drug deal etc. I would personally go along with a friend or family member.

I done a cash transaction a week ago with a guy that had over 3000 transactions all with 100% feedback. It was very laid back, the guy didn't even care to check the coins had actually be sent. Just have your wits about you.

Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:54:40 PM

I done a cash transaction a week ago with a guy that had over 3000 transactions all with 100% feedback. It was very laid back, the guy didn't even care to check the coins had actually be sent.

Lol, that's hillarious!

How much money have you made with BC so far, if you don't mind my asking?
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:49:59 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 03:14:26 PM by Gator-hex

It gets reported to the IRS.

If you are not doing anything illegal, don't worry about it, just make sure you are honest when filing your tax return about your Bitcoin income and keep records to prove how you earned the income!

movellan

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:02:35 PM

Sorry, but the IRS has you by the short and curlies. Whether the limit is now $10000 or $5000 or whatever, the IRS software now tracks ALL withdrawals over $500 or so. If the system finds you making repeated withdrawals (or deposits) just below the limit, they may use civil forfeiture laws to seize your entire Mt. Gox account and any account you deposited into from the Gox account. See.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHQJzX6ebE

xchanga.com

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:04:43 PM

dont dpo over 10k transaction with local bitcoins.
do with any trusted company you know.
if government will know its better. its your money and you have proof for it.
Thanks.

Bitcoins at rate 430 - 440 usd. www.xchanga.com Is d The Best Place to get Your Bitcoins. Try us & See the Difference.
hoewer4what

Activity: 173

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:13:39 PM

If the system finds you making repeated withdrawals (or deposits) just below the limit, they may use civil forfeiture laws to seize your entire Mt. Gox account and any account you deposited into from the Gox account.

I hope they wait for next year after you fill your tax return Wink

Seriously, all US Mt. Gox bank accounts already seized, if it was so easy they would seize Japans Mt. Gox bank accounts as well Smiley
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:21:26 PM

Sorry, but the IRS has you by the short and curlies. Whether the limit is now $10000 or $5000 or whatever, the IRS software now tracks ALL withdrawals over $500 or so. If the system finds you making repeated withdrawals (or deposits) just below the limit, they may use civil forfeiture laws to seize your entire Mt. Gox account and any account you deposited into from the Gox account. See.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHQJzX6ebE

The guy in the video is displaying the symbols of freemasonry.  Wink

What Is Freemasonry? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XhirrSEKjI

joeyjoe

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:22:27 PM

I done a cash transaction a week ago with a guy that had over 3000 transactions all with 100% feedback. It was very laid back, the guy didn't even care to check the coins had actually be sent.

Lol, that's hillarious!

How much money have you made with BC so far, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm not into bitcoin to make money. In total since 2011 only around 80btc.

joeyjoe

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:23:52 PM

dont dpo over 10k transaction with local bitcoins.
do with any trusted company you know.
if government will know its better. its your money and you have proof for it.
Thanks.

I didn't deposit anything with them. A lot of people list their phone numbers on there so you can just call them up instead.

xyoends

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:30:11 PM

I honestly wouldn't risk it.

I know from past experiences just dealing with the gov is a pain in the butt. I would do it installments throughout the week or possibly 1 $4000 withdrawal every single week. This would most likely guarantee no reports to the IRS but there is no certainty. I'm sure coinbase has some sort of algorithm that it uses to detect things like this.

Hope it works for you!!!
xephireusMMX

Activity: 306

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:37:55 PM

You may withdraw much more than $10K and if any institution want clarification, they just ask Smiley (when I sending from bank account higher sums, bank ask for reason of this transaction), but always report your income properly

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
GBGglenn

Activity: 123
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:40:39 PM

Would'nt dare to do that myself. I know people who have been working, get paid in cash and put it into the bank and have had to repay the amount of cash that the tax would cost. If that happens it would be good if you also could prove that you've sold BTC and not been doing illegal stuff.

I would talk to the bank and pay the amount of tax just to be on the safe side, dont want to get in trouble with the government.....but i may just be a coward. Wink
joeyjoe

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:07:33 AM

Would'nt dare to do that myself. I know people who have been working, get paid in cash and put it into the bank and have had to repay the amount of cash that the tax would cost. If that happens it would be good if you also could prove that you've sold BTC and not been doing illegal stuff.

I would talk to the bank and pay the amount of tax just to be on the safe side, dont want to get in trouble with the government.....but i may just be a coward. Wink

Sell for cash, buy expensive car. Sell it a few months later. Claim it was a prize.

krystalwhite

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:28:43 AM

Just a thought - unless you need the cash for a purchase or to settle accounts etc why not buy gold or silver with the bitcoin and store until needed  (NB: this is not financial advice).

Or if you are purchasing something see if the vendor will accept BTC.

Money through your account is tracked - worldwide and it won't be long before the authorities want to put in place regulation - as per usual.

Possibly sell some small amounts through ebay - although always a risk with paypal.

kw

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: