Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:28:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent mining: Is it even possible?  (Read 490 times)
Wotan Wipeout

Activity: 438
Merit: 27

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 08:09:05 PM

Silent mining is possible.

Take 6 x 1050ti KalmX, PCI-E Powered Riser, a nice power supply and 3 low noise fans.
For the CPU (G4400T or some others) you should take the arctic alpine 11.

Each 1050ti KalmX needs 66 Watt, but depends on the coin.

You will have to deal with 400-500 Watt Heat....
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 08:19:42 PM

Silent mining is ez, basically you have 2 options:

1) Watercool your rig so that the radiator is placed outside of your room (I'm using this solution with my reference R9 290 cards). Only PSU and CPU fans are making noise. (May add pics later)
2) Submerse your cards in mineral oil. This will provide you with almost 0dB solution but your GPUs will be SOAKED in oil (very hard to clean off later, also some plastic parts will corrode away/become extremely fragile).

dudezt (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 10:27:48 PM

thanks for the answers guys, I'm currently doing some stuff but I'm going to reply soon
whitefire990
Copper Member

Activity: 166
Merit: 84

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 01:57:26 AM

I will soon be releasing a number of free bitstreams to mine with FPGA's with better ROI's than GPU's, and if you want silent mining you can use the Nexys Video card (XC7A200T FPGA).  Be warned, you can only mine Keccak (Smartcash, Maxcoin) and SHA-224 (Bismuth) profitably, but the card draws minimal power, needs no fan, costs $490, and makes around $2.11 per day at today's prices which is more than many GPU's.

Mohondoa

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:55:47 AM

Sorry, i think you can not mining in silent. Because what as i know, mining need powerful rig if you want get more income. But if you need just for education, its okay you run silent mining.
namjey

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:04:08 AM

you can easily silent mine. I have fractal define XL case with 2 gtx1080 and it is soooo quite. But I had to cut the power limit to 61%  Embarrassed
albertorm2

Activity: 51

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:03:02 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2018, 04:18:50 AM by albertorm2

Mine monero or sumokoin. They have energy efficient algorithms, which means no heat.

Also remember to bios mod your gpus

30% fan should be enough

Edit: Consider getting vega gpu, they are better on all cryptonight algos.
legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:13:47 AM

Not a great idea, you could be expelled.
You want a silent case? Go hydro, I mean liquid cooling.
And if you can shell out the cash then maybe try some Nzxt cases or the Obsidian Series or the deep silence cases. But mind you, they're all pricey.

You'd ideally want to reduce any rattle the moving parts make. DIY solution, loosen the screws & stick a small flat layer of eraser in there and tighten the screws. Instant silence.

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
Bitmarioscoins

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 07:31:15 PM

I will soon be releasing a number of free bitstreams to mine with FPGA's with better ROI's than GPU's, and if you want silent mining you can use the Nexys Video card (XC7A200T FPGA).  Be warned, you can only mine Keccak (Smartcash, Maxcoin) and SHA-224 (Bismuth) profitably, but the card draws minimal power, needs no fan, costs $490, and makes around $2.11 per day at today's prices which is more than many GPU's.

What miner are you using with your FPGA?  How many watts does it use?
whitefire990
Copper Member

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 08:03:05 PM

Nexys video ($490) burns around 15W, makes around $2 per day; Avnet KU040 ($975) board burns around 30W, makes $7-$18/day,  Xilinx VCU1525 & Bittware XUPP3R ($3995-$5895) burn 80-175W and make $25-$120 per day depending on the algorithm.  I programmed the FPGA's myself and forked an open source CPUMiner build and adapted it to communicate with the FPGA's.  I'm planning on releasing the bitstreams in around 4-6 weeks.

HardwareCollector

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:20:56 PM

Nexys video ($490) burns around 15W, makes around $2 per day; Avnet KU040 ($975) board burns around 30W, makes $7-$18/day,  Xilinx VCU1525 & Bittware XUPP3R ($3995-$5895) burn 80-175W and make $25-$120 per day depending on the algorithm.  I programmed the FPGA's myself and forked an open source CPUMiner build and adapted it to communicate with the FPGA's.  I'm planning on releasing the bitstreams in around 4-6 weeks.

Would you please allow PMs from newbies, I have some questions to ask about these FPGAs. You mentioned in one of your posts that you are doing Groestl at 1.95GH/s with a VU9P FPGA, what are you getting for SHA256d?
whitefire990
Copper Member

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 01:56:31 AM

Would you please allow PMs from newbies, I have some questions to ask about these FPGAs. You mentioned in one of your posts that you are doing Groestl at 1.95GH/s with a VU9P FPGA, what are you getting for SHA256d?

I modded my profile to allow PM's from newbies.  VU9P does SHA-224/256 at 10GH/s, which is useless for bitcoin but profitable for Bismuth (SHA-224).  Not sure why you would even want to do SHA-256.

dudezt (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 03:23:55 AM

There are many ways for the school administrators or network admins will find out what you're up to. As a masters student, don't risk wasting your education. Just mine at home and avoid the hassle of dealing with the repercussions. Mind you, mining without paying for electricity is stealing. Stealing is a crime.

Very well said. Ask yourself if you want to risk your education for a little money.

Sry I'm a piece of shit ;_;

Holy shit that's nice. Any more tips about that?

you can easily silent mine. I have fractal define XL case with 2 gtx1080 and it is soooo quite. But I had to cut the power limit to 61%  Embarrassed

NICE bro, that's i wanted to see here, someone with real experience in this.

how's your hash rate and profit?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: