Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:58:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WARNING] BitPay pocketing over $1000 from me.  (Read 3019 times)
iASIC (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:35:29 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 02:48:53 AM by iASIC

I purchased around $80 face value junk silver from Amagi Metals for around 4.3 BTC(Was 1,400 at the time) and I only got $10 worth in the mail.
Amagi Metals has agreed to refund me remaining silver that has not been shipped.
I talked with an Amagi representative, and she said that they only can refund $1100 worth in USD due to Bitpay paying them in cash instead of bitcoin.
I think it's insane that BitPay cannot repay my whole 4 BTC back, after all they are damn revolved around bitcoin.
I feel jipped that BitPay stole over $1000 from me.
I've emailed them and will re post a response.

EDIT:

Got a reply from an email(Strange how I got this reply but not the initial refund yet)

Each merchant is allowed to make decisions regarding how to provide refunds for their customer; we don't have any bearing on Amagi's choice of refund. Is there anything else I can help you with at the moment?

Thanks,

Gentry Sherrill
Client Operations Manager

EDIT2: I got a partial refund: https://blockchain.info/address/1QeUgWPdAPGygNnCT8x5TWWGPmC8fnkou

Still need 2.3 BTC for it to be a full refund.

Still wondering why I got a refund when they are "closed" AND they aren't replying to me.
Bitcoin Scammer

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 12:38:30 AM

I have seen this before the last time BITcoin shot up in price everyone wanted  a slice of the pie.   Sorry for the loss

DON'T GET SCAMMED, CHECK FIRST = Bitcoinscammers.com
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:03:54 AM

I have seen this before the last time BITcoin shot up in price everyone wanted  a slice of the pie.   Sorry for the loss

Trust me I'll do my best to make this not a loss.

People on Reddit were telling me BitPay converts the BTC to cash for the vendors, but that doesn't mean they still have all the BTC(They do)
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:35:23 AM

That's sad. Especially considering they are supposed to be the largest service of their kind. Ick!
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:45:42 AM

That's sad. Especially considering they are supposed to be the largest service of their kind. Ick!

Got a 1.6 BTC refund, still waiting on the rest.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:36:33 AM

Bitpay sells the BTC they receive, and gives the merchant the exact amount of cash owed for the Bitcoins at the exact time of sale. Then Bitpay sells those BTC, and repeats. While I do think you got the blunt end of the stick, the second you sent your Bitcoins to Bitpay as the intermediate for Amagi, the deal was settled in USD, not BTC. They essentially buy your Bitcoins, and convert it to cash for merchants at the current exchange rates. It works the same for everyone, so don't take it personally. If Amagi took Bitcoins directly, you would be entitled to a refund in BTC. But all they get is the current USD rate which is all they can refund you.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:34:03 PM

Bitpay sells the BTC they receive, and gives the merchant the exact amount of cash owed for the Bitcoins at the exact time of sale. Then Bitpay sells those BTC, and repeats. While I do think you got the blunt end of the stick, the second you sent your Bitcoins to Bitpay as the intermediate for Amagi, the deal was settled in USD, not BTC. They essentially buy your Bitcoins, and convert it to cash for merchants at the current exchange rates. It works the same for everyone, so don't take it personally. If Amagi took Bitcoins directly, you would be entitled to a refund in BTC. But all they get is the current USD rate which is all they can refund you.

I traced back the coins, and it looks like a huge amount of order coins is sitting on one address.

I know they deal in USD, but BitPay provides like...

Bitcoin for consumer
USD for seller

They should refund in BTC since it is what the consumer pays in.

I'm trying to still get a hold of BitPay, and they should be open right now.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:01:41 PM

Be careful with this company guys.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:07:07 PM

I purchased around $80 face value junk silver from Amagi Metals for around 4.3 BTC(Was 1,400 at the time) and I only got $10 worth in the mail.
Amagi Metals has agreed to refund me remaining silver that has not been shipped.
I talked with an Amagi representative, and she said that they only can refund $1100 worth in USD due to Bitpay paying them in cash instead of bitcoin.
I think it's insane that BitPay cannot repay my whole 4 BTC back, after all they are damn revolved around bitcoin.

EDIT:

Got a reply from an email(Strange how I got this reply but not the initial refund yet)

Each merchant is allowed to make decisions regarding how to provide refunds for their customer; we don't have any bearing on Amagi's choice of refund. Is there anything else I can help you with at the moment?

Thanks,

Gentry Sherrill

EDIT2: I got a partial refund: https://blockchain.info/address/1QeUgWPdAPGygNnCT8x5TWWGPmC8fnkou

Still wondering why I got a refund when they are "closed" AND they aren't replying to me.

why does not amagi metals ship you the metal you are owed? Seems simple no?

or are you trying to get bitcoin back since it has gone up in price?
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:14:04 PM

EDIT:

Thanks,

Gentry Sherrill

why does not amagi metals ship you the metal you are owed? Seems simple no?

or are you trying to get bitcoin back since it has gone up in price?

At this point, since bitcoin is so volatile at the moment, I'd rather just have my 4 BTC back in my possession until I feel comfortable buying silver again
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:12:41 PM

I personally have never had a bad experience with BitPay...

The CEO was just at the senate hearing as well.  Wink

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 02:34:58 AM

If bitcoin took a nosedive and your 4BTC were only worth $200, would you still be willing to take a 4BTC refund?

Probably not; so you can't have it both ways.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:33:12 AM

If bitcoin took a nosedive and your 4BTC were only worth $200, would you still be willing to take a 4BTC refund?

I mean if I paid in bitcoin I'd rather get my bitcoin refunded
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 01:23:16 PM

Yes, so you paid 4BTC (at the time valued at $1400).

You'd be ok if they refunded 4BTC two weeks later even if that 4BTC was now only worth $200 (because bitcoin value had crashed; so basically a $200 refund for a $1400 purchase)
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:03:19 PM

You'd be ok if they refunded 4BTC two weeks later even if that 4BTC was now only worth $200 (because bitcoin value had crashed; so basically a $200 refund for a $1400 purchase)

I don't know if anyone would be happy with it but it would be more viable because it's a bitcoin oriented website.

They most likely would do that if the price fell.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 06:17:55 PM

I don't know if anyone would be happy with it but it would be more viable because it's a bitcoin oriented website.

No, they'd refund USD.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:31:08 PM

No, they'd refund USD.

I don't understand where bitpay is trying to connect the two together.
Buyers pay with BTC sellers get paid in USD

If a buyer requests a refund they should be able to get it back in BTC, not USD.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 10:09:44 PM

BitPay sells your BTC the moment they get it, they're just converting it to USD as a service. It's unfair for them if they have to fork out $1000 that they don't have, is it not?

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:33:36 AM

BitPay sells your BTC the moment they get it, they're just converting it to USD as a service. It's unfair for them if they have to fork out $1000 that they don't have, is it not?

I've looked at the transactions where my BTC goes and it seems like they all get piled on to one address.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:58:07 AM

What I surprise no reply from email.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: