Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:31:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: flexcoin will be down for a few hours  (Read 1320 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 09:39:06 PM

Just so you know guys we're doing some coding changes.. so flexcoin will be down for a few hours...  we needed to freeze everything when doing the changes.

updates will be either here / twitter (http://www.twitter.com/flexcoin ) or http://www.facebook.com/flexcoin

most likely updates will happen in all three ....

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 03:19:44 AM

taking longer than expected...  we're still recoding some parts of it.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
nhodges

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 06:19:56 AM

Thanks for the update, but I'm curious why as a "banking institution" you wouldn't implement version control systems for your software and website, as well as incorporate a staged development and seamless update process, so you don't run into issues like having to recode your website in the middle of an update ...

Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 08:20:20 AM

Thanks for the update, but I'm curious why as a "banking institution" you wouldn't implement version control systems for your software and website, as well as incorporate a staged development and seamless update process, so you don't run into issues like having to recode your website in the middle of an update ...

Same question here...  Angry

the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 12:22:51 PM

Mostly because we are still below what would be considered a version Smiley going forward we will give it a label number and work on staging server to keep this off public site

Doing final changes,  live at 9:30 EST sorry for long delay,  seriously took WAY longer than expected

the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 01:16:47 PM

As promised it's up

nhodges

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:09:56 PM

Mostly because we are still below what would be considered a version Smiley going forward we will give it a label number and work on staging server to keep this off public site

Doing final changes,  live at 9:30 EST sorry for long delay,  seriously took WAY longer than expected

So you only commit to your repository at v1.0? Makes total sense!

You're a so called "banking institution" and by nature you should not afford yourself this type of downtime, especially when it could have been avoided completely!

LokeRundt

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 12:09:29 PM

Doing final changes,  live at 9:30 EST sorry for long delay,  seriously took WAY longer than expected

You're a so called "banking institution" and by nature you should not afford yourself this type of downtime, especially when it could have been avoided completely!

Supply/demand yo.  Take your business elsewhere, or start up a service that offers competitive alternatives

Bitching about service in a state controlled/regulated/monopolized market is one thing. . .let's face it, no one else can currently build highways.  But in the bitcoin economy, if you don't like a business' practices, you can take your business to a competitor, or become that competitor

It's all voluntary on a free market, throwing "should" around isn't really where it's at here

Just saying

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
nhodges

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:13:42 AM

Doing final changes,  live at 9:30 EST sorry for long delay,  seriously took WAY longer than expected

Supply/demand yo.  Take your business elsewhere, or start up a service that offers competitive alternatives

Bitching about service in a state controlled/regulated/monopolized market is one thing. . .let's face it, no one else can currently build highways.  But in the bitcoin economy, if you don't like a business' practices, you can take your business to a competitor, or become that competitor

It's all voluntary on a free market, throwing "should" around isn't really where it's at here

Just saying

I'm not complaining, my gripes are founded as a client of the bank. I currently have Bitcoin stored in Flexcoin, and so am interested in rising these questions while he is still stretching his wings. I expect to be able to withdraw money from any banking institution when I want, it's my money. If the service is only internet accessible, it should be available twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. I'm not saying it's inexcusable that he is not engaged in best practices, but it is a concern I have and would rather him think about now then later. If you can maintain uptime and have seamless updates (or close to it) ... why not take advantage of that?

Edit: As a client of Flexcoin, I am very pleased to hear about the planned implementation of a staging area/server.

xcooling

Activity: 145

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:29:34 AM

Lets put it this way.. if there is/was a bug on the site. would you want them to temporarily suspend the service until the bug is fixed ? or leave it to be exploited ?

NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 09:14:00 AM

I'm not complaining, my gripes are founded as a client of the bank. I currently have Bitcoin stored in Flexcoin, and so am interested in rising these questions while he is still stretching his wings. I expect to be able to withdraw money from any banking institution when I want, it's my money. If the service is only internet accessible, it should be available twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. I'm not saying it's inexcusable that he is not engaged in best practices, but it is a concern I have and would rather him think about now then later. If you can maintain uptime and have seamless updates (or close to it) ... why not take advantage of that?

The only thing you can comaplin is bad planning. Even ATM's have outages - a couple of hours in the middle of the night after announcement. Expecting anon higly income service to be available 24/7 is an example of idiocy. He could put it into the middle of the night, which opens the question to which night.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: