Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:16:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: exchanges - disparity of price  (Read 890 times)
randayh (OP)

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 10:20:43 PM

Bitstamp: 620.1
Mt.Gox: 727.9
BTC-e: 606.1
BTCChina: 844.58/5150

Does anyone know why there is such a huge price difference from each exchange? I still don't understand why no one is taking the opportunity to profit from the price spread.
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:41:07 PM

Bitstamp: 620.1
Mt.Gox: 727.9
BTC-e: 606.1
BTCChina: 844.58/5150

Does anyone know why there is such a huge price difference from each exchange? I still don't understand why no one is taking the opportunity to profit from the price spread.

You can't get your dollars out of MtGox
Hard to get your dollars into BTC-e
Can't move a significant amount of fiat out of China.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:43:16 PM

There would be no disparity if it was easy to do.   If you could easily get USD out of MtGox and into BTC-e the price difference would be tiny.  The reality is you can't and thus it isn't.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:51:19 PM

Not to mention campbx needs you to pick up a postal money or just mail a check (ach to come in two days). And coinbase, you can sell at today's price, but if you buy you have no idea what you're going to fill at, 4 days from now.

Basically liquidity is not your friend here. If you could wait for your money, though, you'd make tremendous returns buying at campbx or coinbase, and selling at mtgox, but from the sounds if it you could be waiting quite a while before the funds reach your account so you can trade again...
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:51:52 PM

Mark Kerpeles of MtGox is leading the way!
Keyser Soze

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:52:52 PM

Not to mention campbx needs you to pick up a postal money or just mail a check (ach to come in two days). And coinbase, you can sell at today's price, but if you buy you have no idea what you're going to fill at, 4 days from now.

Basically liquidity is not your friend here. If you could wait for your money, though, you'd make tremendous returns buying at campbx or coinbase, and selling at mtgox, but from the sounds if it you could be waiting quite a while before the funds reach your account so you can trade again...

When you buy on Coinbase you lock in the price when you place the order.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:55:20 PM

Yes, but they tend to cancel your trade when it's not in their favor after a few days. Wink

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Keyser Soze

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:58:29 PM

Yes, but they tend to cancel your trade when it's not in their favor after a few days. Wink
I figured that would be a response.  Cheesy Personally haven't had a trouble with them, but I hear some people have.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:00:46 PM

Personally haven't had a trouble with them, but I hear some people have.
That's how you run a scam. Fuck 20%, please 80%. Smiley

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:02:59 PM

It sucks, such a big price gap
Pangia

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:17:41 PM

Mark Kerpeles of MtGox is leading the way!

Which way would that be? Towards the exit with our USD?

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║