Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:13:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CAUTION] MyEtherWallet(MEW) hijacked (April 24, 2018)  (Read 441 times)
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1049

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 04:15:11 PM

MyEtherWallet.com has been reportedly hacked – 215 Ethereum [ETH] phished in less than 3 hours
Don't login to your MEW accounts yet, wait until the dust settles and everything has been fixed.

Terrible news . I have heard that some guy lose 85 eth from his wallet
Totally terrible and whomever who's this guy that lost 85 ETH it's never safe to put that sums of holding to a web wallet. This is why getting your own hardware wallets is always the best storage.

that's a huge amount already. this is why I'm login into the MEW in an offline page just to make sure its the real page that i have downloaded. 85 ETH is something to die for already in my country its worth more than 5M and you can already buy a lot with it, pick up trucks and so on. easy money for the hackers, lost investment and exasperation for the token owners.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:15:39 PM

Damn hackers! Why don't they use their technology to do something useful to others? Why should we steal the fruits of others' hard work? Disgusting behavior!

But thats the way it must be,hackers are those people that gifted with bright full mind but they choose to use it badways ..what we need to do is add extra careful,become vigilant and act like what OP did..always shares those issue regarding something like this,so everyone will be aware and will make action to prevent from being victim.
tyuner4

Activity: 322
Merit: 179

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:20:07 PM

Thank you for the warning. Just curious if I use hardware wallet to interact with MEW, will the private key be revealed when such hack is happening?
Marina17

Activity: 490
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:23:44 PM

This is bad new, but the cyptocurrency market is not affected. So often it happens that negative news does not affect the bull market and positive news does not affect the bearish market.

b e t f o r m ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ SMART CONTRACT POWERED SOCIAL BETTING PLATFORM
                                                     A p p Download ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Google Play   App Store     [ WEB VERSION ]                                 ❱❱JOIN b e t f o r m❰❰
                       F o l l o w us ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ WHITEPAPER TELEGRAM FACEBOOK TWITTER
charleshidan

Activity: 280
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:27:33 PM

Very usefull information, this will make us more careful in accessing  MyEtherwallet account. Hopefully this problem will be fixed soon.
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:31:45 PM

Really appreciate the update regarding this. That's why it is important to keep up to date with whatever happening in the crypto world.
I'll definitely recommend everyone to safeguard your cryptos as they are becoming more and more valuable day by day.
jinxcreedy

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:33:25 PM

This is very much important. I saw this notification a while ago. It very much imperative we spread info of such magnitude to prevent people from getting ripped off.
thank you.
BTCdude007

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:22:07 PM

I would advise using METAMASK, in my opinion it is much safer, it is also better to use cold wallets. With MEW, this is not the first problem, and not the last one.
richjohn

Activity: 574
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:25:34 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2018, 06:13:32 PM by richjohn

I accessed my wallet six hours ago, would that be an issue? I used my laptop and coudln't find the red security error while opening it. Do you feel it was safe to have accessed my wallet back then? All my tokens are still intact. I hope my private keys are not compromised because I am supposed to get the payment of my signature campaign tonight and I don't want to end up losing all my money.
karramov

Activity: 448
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:32:30 PM

That's a sad story. We all need to be careful. Scammers are getting smarter we can't relax. Always check the site and security. Phishing visible
Galley

Activity: 1274
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:43:15 PM

Just checked now, the link is true, green status, the certificate is valid. Perhaps this is danger for some countries.
If I use an extension like Metamask or loaded site MEW on my hard drive, is this safe in this case?

I'm also interested to learn about the reliability of Metamask. If I log into MEW using Metamask, my wallet is likewise in danger of being hacked?
vadimkavp

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 06:04:30 PM

Please explain, if you use for logging hardware wallet Ledger, will I be safe? I mean this is the case when the hacked DNS server.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 11:23:10 PM

MyEtherWallet.com has been reportedly hacked – 215 Ethereum [ETH] phished in less than 3 hours
Don't login to your MEW accounts yet, wait until the dust settles and everything has been fixed.

Terrible news . I have heard that some guy lose 85 eth from his wallet
Totally terrible and whomever who's this guy that lost 85 ETH it's never safe to put that sums of holding to a web wallet. This is why getting your own hardware wallets is always the best storage.

that's a huge amount already. this is why I'm login into the MEW in an offline page just to make sure its the real page that i have downloaded. 85 ETH is something to die for already in my country its worth more than 5M and you can already buy a lot with it, pick up trucks and so on. easy money for the hackers, lost investment and exasperation for the token owners.
It's big money wherever you are in this world. These hackers are seriously doing everything and taking advantage of the anonymity of cryptocurrency. I thought you logged in your MEW while it's online, it's good that you trid it out with an offline page but still wait for some updates on their twitter account.
https://twitter.com/myetherwallet
Still no update if its okay.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
kirstiemorton23

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 11:45:08 PM

when I wake up, I hear this news, I immediately take precautions in my computer, and search for the source of truth news, I am grateful for the information you provide, for me the information you provide is very helpful to us
sabine80

Activity: 728
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:19:50 AM

thanks for this warning. this is really bad when something like this happens. hope not many people lost money thru this hijack, but as i have read, over 200k eth have been stolen.   Sad
cryptosec.info (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 02:38:44 AM

There is an update in the MEW twitter regarding this problem and the team was working on it. It will be resolved asap. But i just found another thread that has been discussing this problem. It may better for you to read carefully before try to make a double post like this, but i appreciate this kind of awareness. 

Hey. I understand what you're saying. The reason I just posted this immediately because I didn't want to risk wasting a few more minutes in finding a similar post, as you may know, this is really really important and a 5 minute difference could potentially prevent a single(or multiple) investor for being screwed.
Sure, I was understood about that. That's why I appreciate this thread.

Because I have known that not so many people are actively watching the latest update regarding what already happened or mainly to visit the official twitter account of myetherwallet.
Alright dude. Thanks for the merits by the way.

thanks for this warning. this is really bad when something like this happens. hope not many people lost money thru this hijack, but as i have read, over 200k eth have been stolen.   Sad
This is the scammers address if you want to track how much he/she already scammed. https://etherscan.io/address/0x1d50588C0aa11959A5c28831ce3DC5F1D3120d29

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109
engrshu

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:58:48 AM

This is so helpful, I'm planning to check my account after i heard this news, and I bumped to this thread, this info helps a lot for reducing my potential to be scammed.

[
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:00:12 AM

Please explain, if you use for logging hardware wallet Ledger, will I be safe? I mean this is the case when the hacked DNS server.

If I'm not wrong then hardware wallet should be fine to login because the current issue everyone is talking about myetherwallet.com DNS server issue.

If not urgent then just avoid logging few days.

It will be very painful for the people who has lost their coins in this hack. Perticularly if some newbie lost money then they may not come back to cryptos because they think it is not safe.
zanezane

Activity: 868
Merit: 150

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:11:48 AM

But unfortunately that over 200k eth is a lot and for sure many traders are regretting for not using hardware wallet, yet this sundden attack should be a warning to all of us that there's nothing safe nowadays especially from hackers that don't know anything but to stole. They really did this on purpose like market is all green and people are selling their coins and that will be a perfect timing to their evil plan, good thing I didn't open my wallet yesterday and just checking my coins through etherscan.

acorcos

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:32:22 AM

But unfortunately that over 200k eth is a lot and for sure many traders are regretting for not using hardware wallet, yet this sundden attack should be a warning to all of us that there's nothing safe nowadays especially from hackers that don't know anything but to stole. They really did this on purpose like market is all green and people are selling their coins and that will be a perfect timing to their evil plan, good thing I didn't open my wallet yesterday and just checking my coins through etherscan.
Am I safe using a hardware wallet? And has the problem already been fixed? Can not find any official announcement that the problem has been resolved...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: