Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:40:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTENTION EVERYONE! MEW isn't safe to use right now.  (Read 414 times)
btccrusher (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 04:40:37 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2018, 07:33:38 PM by btccrusher
Merited by BitcoinHodler (1)

myetherwallet.com isn't safe to use right now. It seems that the DNS of MEW was hijacked, which resulted in loss of all the funds from MEW accounts. Check subreddit for details. It is advised to use the offline version of MEW until official notification of MEW's safety.

Need help to use offline MEW? Check this out:
https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/offline/running-myetherwallet-locally.html

Note: I'll update this thread once I found any official announcement.

Edit 1;
someone lost 85 ETH https://etherscan.io/tx/0x6b2d0464eef4c90677a555701b26820e606f5a52f3926725291bca6cc6936167

Here is the moved funds: https://etherscan.io/address/0xb3aaaae47070264f3595c5032ee94b620a583a39

Update 1:
MyEtherWallet says everything is normal now. [however, I'm advising to stop transaction for few more hours and learn from more users]
here is the official tweet https://twitter.com/myetherwallet/status/988836522974572544

Stay safe.
hodl2018

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 04:49:26 PM

Shameful. How this useful site can get hacked?
manoj6233

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:08:03 PM

Without the old workplace rules, everyone at IBM is learning and adapting to new behaviors and patterns all the time. Take attention, for instance. How one pays attention in a distributed environment has to change. None of the material conditions (silence, sterility, absence of distraction) or the personal ones (eye contact) ...
manlyxman

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:11:38 PM

I don't think anything but a hardware wallet is safe nowadays. I really recommend people to invest in one.
pri3oner

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

Bitgesell (BGL) Decentralized Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:12:47 PM

As it's happened back in late-December with Delta the accident was repeated, unfortunately for all honest crypto workers... In our unreliable crypto world everything can happen and it's a pity... Just imagine an honest bounty participant who has saved a little for months of hard work, reposting and posting, making video and other content, and being hacked just for a moment by random (but clever) guy (or team, anyway)!...

███████████   ███   ████     Ever wish you could turn back time to when BTC was $1?     ████   ███   ███████████
B I T G E S E L L          Decentralized Cryptocurrency
██               ████████     •    Telegram    •    Twitter    •    Discord    •    Thread    •     ████████               ██
Lacettivod

Activity: 252
Merit: 14

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:17:47 PM

Thank you for warning! I will not today to make transfers from the wallet.
Read, that have them hacked DNS server.It puts us in danger.

It is better to wait for official news from the developers before continuing to use MEW

santiPOGI

Activity: 1004
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:20:07 PM

We just need to wait and let them solve the problem.
MEW will not let this slide for a long time and issue will be gone soon.
though this one will be a big lesson to them and will improve their security more.
it's bull run days btw, so let it stay their and dont open your wallet.
thinknow11

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 05:26:07 PM

Hacker is the greatest problem confronting cryptocurrency ecosystem. However, I think this will be sorted out as soon as possible.

Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 07:12:39 PM

They didn't get hacked, but public Google DNS got compromised. Their addresses 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. were down in some parts of the world, not sure if they still are. An attacker hacked into those addresses and pointed MEW domain name to a different IP. That is how when people opened even their bookmarked MEW URL, they went to a compromised IP and when they entered their private key, the hacker snatched it (because it was entered into his own server). The certificate should have warned people from doing so (because the certificate was missing and was not green), but it is easy to be a smart now, when things are over.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
joselitobayagbag

Activity: 231
Merit: 10

Augmented Reality World Discovered

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:28:16 PM

This is awful,those people who used mew and put their rmoney to these keys probaby got hacked as long as these people arent going to put their keys thru researching because it can be easily hacked,then the time i dont like to dos so if iwere you i wont be wasting my time and effort for this campaigns as there are uncertainty between the two.

btccrusher (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 07:34:58 PM

They didn't get hacked, but public Google DNS got compromised. Their addresses 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. were down in some parts of the world, not sure if they still are. An attacker hacked into those addresses and pointed MEW domain name to a different IP. That is how when people opened even their bookmarked MEW URL, they went to a compromised IP and when they entered their private key, the hacker snatched it (because it was entered into his own server). The certificate should have warned people from doing so (because the certificate was missing and was not green), but it is easy to be a smart now, when things are over.

Update 1:
MyEtherWallet says, everything is normal now. [however, I'm advising to stop transaction for few more hours and learn from more users]
here is the official tweet https://twitter.com/myetherwallet/status/988836522974572544

Stay safe.
GabrielKiara

Activity: 273
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:35:11 PM

Seriously I feel paranoid using mew at this time, btw here one of the hacker address : 0xb3AAAae47070264f3595c5032eE94b620A583a39 ( I got it from telegram community chat). That Means for now the safest path is to use hardware like trezor right? Or use metamask still safe?
btccrusher (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2018, 07:37:47 PM

Seriously I feel paranoid using mew at this time, btw here one of the hacker address : 0xb3AAAae47070264f3595c5032eE94b620A583a39 ( I got it from telegram community chat). That Means for now the safest path is to use hardware like trezor right? Or use metamask still safe?

Hardwares are the safest option while everyone don't have it. In that case, Metamask is fairly safe, but I'd suggest to use offline transaction. So that you are out of risk. Smiley
mmacool

Activity: 308
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:39:30 PM

It seems to me that if MEW hackers could hack, then maybe the market will go down. Hackers now have no barriers whatsoever, they can hack everything and it's very bad.
kamike

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

Presale Starting May 1st

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:41:42 PM

It was not hacked, they are the group of people who are really experts in  hijacking so let us be careful so that we won't be a victim, we must be thankful that a lot of people here are concern for other people.
Benkortan

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:45:02 PM

I'm checking that green url and I have Cryptonite, which is a great help.
Very dangerous setup from hackers. Thanks for explanation.
supine

Activity: 1036
Merit: 109

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:48:28 PM

I have read this on twitter and the page of Myetherwallet even notified it's user about this. They said that as long as there's a certificate on the site it is good to use. The site gets redirected to a phising site and almost 200+ eth was snatched from other users. I read an article that only certain regions were hacked such as:   Italy, Pakistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand. But, it's always better to be safe.
emberbekas
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:49:17 PM

I read the news regarding this issue on their twitter account. And now everything seems to be normal again and they give us a pro-tips on how to avoid to be scammed and phised. Wish it'll help us to stay safe.

vicvicto17

Activity: 362
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:53:57 PM

I know it will get back soon. They are live and active on twitter they will get back soon. Those hackers will have no place on earth. Grr.. I remember the last time i was hacked by phishing site. That's why i'm very careful on my wallets.
annmhie0904

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 07:56:45 PM

Thank you for this post. Now that I'm updated to it. I won't do any transaction till the issue will be fix.

This will be horrible to those who got hacked. I know, that it was hard that all your effort will be nothing.

Stay safe guys.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: