Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:34:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My funds are stuck in block chain  (Read 1124 times)
kenstu22 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:02:17 AM

My wallet shows the correct balance--but when I try to send
funds, I am prompted to give a private key for an address I know nothing
about. I have a paper backup--and I tried importing the private key from
that--but I don't understand how to do that--and in any case, the backup is
for the bitcoin address showing on my home page--not for the address
showing in the prompt for a private key.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Stake

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:06:50 AM

What wallet are you sending from that would force you to provide a private key..?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:08:56 AM

Please provide the wallet, version, and the EXACT error message.  Not paraphrased, not what you think it is saying, not what you remember it being, the exact message.
Stake

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:22:04 AM

Please provide the wallet, version, and the EXACT error message.  Not paraphrased, not what you think it is saying, not what you remember it being, the exact message.

I've never heard of a wallet requiring private key on send...  Could be a scam.

@OP, be weary.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:26:02 AM

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like an address was imported into a wallet as a "watching only" address (imported without the private key).  If that is true, you'll need to remember where you got the address from, and you'll need to find the private key for that address.  Otherwise you'll never be able to spend the bitcoins that were received at that particular address.

If you want something better than a guess, then you'll need to supply more information.  As DeathAndTaxes suggested, the wallet, version, and the EXACT error message would be a good start.
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 07:30:24 AM

This must be case of blockchain.info wallet.

Blockchain.info allows you to add watchonly address and it shows balance from that address in total balance. But when you try to spend it, it asks for private key.
This flow is use by scammers to scam new users where hey sell blockchain.info wallet to users Smiley

You can read one case here :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237439.0

One of our customers got this issue and got scammed.

Regards

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
zenid

Activity: 52

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:42:11 AM

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like an address was imported into a wallet as a "watching only" address (imported without the private key).  If that is true, you'll need to remember where you got the address from, and you'll need to find the private key for that address.  Otherwise you'll never be able to spend the bitcoins that were received at that particular address.

If you want something better than a guess, then you'll need to supply more information.  As DeathAndTaxes suggested, the wallet, version, and the EXACT error message would be a good start.

Yes. Sounds like a watch only address. Great for 100% paper wallets, but you have to enter your private key into the wallet to actually have access to the funds at your address. I think you might have scanned/typed in the wrong code.
kenstu22 (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:34:58 AM

I'm pretty sure I wasn't scammed because I didn't do business with anyone...but for some reason the "watch only" explanation rings a bell because I think I saw it somewhere when I was rummaging around trying to figure this all out.

I definitely don't have a key for the account it asks for when I try to send funds..I have the account id, pass word and paper backup.

Is it possible for me to email a senior member my account details and have you look at the account for me?

At this point I'd be happy to pay a 10% bounty to a senior member who can recover the funds for me.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:37:29 AM

I'm pretty sure I wasn't scammed because I didn't do business with anyone...but for some reason the "watch only" explanation rings a bell because I think I saw it somewhere when I was rummaging around trying to figure this all out.

I definitely don't have a key for the account it asks for when I try to send funds..I have the account id, pass word and paper backup.

Is it possible for me to email a senior member my account details and have you look at the account for me?

At this point I'd be happy to pay a 10% bounty to a senior member who can recover the funds for me.

Be careful who you send it to, "senior" doesn't mean a whole lot.  Still if it is a watch only wallet and you don't have the private key then you have nothing.  You have something which can only watch the value and never spend it.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:44:06 AM

First off, don't panic. You will have to spend some time to educate yourself.

You need to figure out what exactly you made a backup of.

People here are very helpful and will try to help you. The more precise the information, the better the answers you get.
ricardotemporal

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:08:58 AM

yes you may be try using watch only Wallet which provided on blockchain

if this case you must need private key to send any coins

Regrads
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 11:17:02 AM

I have the account id, pass word and paper backup.

Is the bitcoin address you are trying to send from listed on the paper backup?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: