Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:03:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World of Warcraft gold and BTC correlation  (Read 2379 times)
Trance (OP)

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:14:08 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 04:22:32 AM by Trance

apparently the video game World Of Warcraft's Gold (the games in game virtual currency) is made by means of the same cryptography system used for BTC, it too gained monetary value, hence its value of 700k in game = $999 (www.Ige.com)

could this have made a IT dev think to himself, if only i could make something virtual of value thats online of monetary value or of use that would place it into a correlation with having some sort of value  Shocked

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:17:32 AM

I 'm not sure what are you talking about but wow gold has nothing common with bitcoin whatsoever.
And no cryptography system is used for wow gold. Just an RNG.
Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:30:47 AM

So Blizzard could be posing as all the websites based in China selling WoW gold ? Or are those websites made up of devs that left Blizzard when it was small with backdoor source code to have infinite gold to sell, because the gold has MONETARY value, if everyone in the world played it they would definitely start to barter with the virtual currency. this is just my viewing of where virtual currencies have come after the past 15 years.. I don't ever remember anyone understanding why WoW gold could be of any value since to the average person it was just a video game, but after i explained there is basically a proof of work for wow gold it made sense, aka the time it takes to kill NPC and get the specific RNG amount of gold distributed. You don't see my correlation? lol

Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:52:25 AM

Typically, you pay for the time investment required to obtain gold/items in video games. Usually, this type of trade is not allowed under the TOS. So if the game company notices such a break of their TOS, the items/gold will be removed.

I can't really see any parallels to Bitcoin. At the same time, I can see sellers capitalizing on people's ignorance on the details.
Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:09:18 AM

Yes, but its the same like the war on drugs when it comes to preventing the sales of gold in the game like that.. hence why websites have made millions and continue to make profit !

Barek

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:31:44 AM

War on drugs?

Gold selling is a problem of game companies, because it lowers their revenue. Selling gold is against the TOS. Legality is not an issue.

Many drugs are illegal, which makes them a problem of the state.
Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:59:28 AM

Terms of service is the games legality lol

aka you CANNOT control the influx of drugs into the US from Mexico, it can only be mitigated, and 9 out of 10 times they get through.. just like sales of WoW gold against their ToS (legality)

Barek

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:03:46 AM

Selling gold at most gets the account deleted.

Selling drugs at most results in jail time.

I'm not even sure why I'm still arguing this.
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:29:43 AM

I think without realising it MMOs like WoW probably helped opened the minds of many geeks/gaming types that the number on the computer screen in their little game could have real value if there was demand. Perhaps many people would have looked at Bitcoin in a different light if previous experiences like this had not altered their thought patterns.

Not that everyone involved in Bitcoin plays WoW.

Or do they?  Cool
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:55:53 PM

hur hur both are computer

both are same hur hur

Chalk this up under one of the dumbest things I've read here in a while
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:14:05 PM

I don't even... wtf

PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:22:53 PM

I just noticed the wow grinding - proof of work analogy. Amazing...
bythesea

Merit: 101

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:56:18 PM

Gold selling is a problem of game companies, because it lowers their revenue. Selling gold is against the TOS. Legality is not an issue.

In a game like Wow one person selling gold to another isn't lowering thier revenue since Blizzard isn't selling WoW gold.

Considering 1k is about 1.0$-1.2$ depending on a realm ( just looked ) and average person can make 1-2k/hour its not much. So I think behind gold selling ( China and so on ) is Blizzard, for them it's not hard to generate random amount of gold to a specific desire. That is why I think gold selling is against the rules, since you are taking their customers...
But again, i might be wrong.
Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:48:23 PM

Thank you =)!!

Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:53:57 PM

In a game like Wow one person selling gold to another isn't lowering thier revenue since Blizzard isn't selling WoW gold.

Considering 1k is about 1.0$-1.2$ depending on a realm ( just looked ) and average person can make 1-2k/hour its not much. So I think behind gold selling ( China and so on ) is Blizzard, for them it's not hard to generate random amount of gold to a specific desire. That is why I think gold selling is against the rules, since you are taking their customers...
But again, i might be wrong.

You are correct, they do not like the sales of "THEIR" virtual property, but knowing Blizzard and how profit hungry they are I would not be surprised if they had some sort of correlation between the online sales of Gold. Plus if you get banned for buying / selling gold, most likely you will be a gamer that will be willing to purchase another account and not make the mistake again, also increasing their sales, if they wanted to shut down the Asia markets for MMO-RPG games currency they could by easily undercutting the markets and causing the companies to foil. Speculation~

Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:04:19 PM

I 'm not sure what are you talking about but wow gold has nothing common with bitcoin whatsoever.
And no cryptography system is used for wow gold. Just an RNG.

Yes it does, can you not READ? !??! proof or work.

faizaa123

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:16:09 PM

If you truly believe there is a correlation between World of Warcraft gold and Bitcoins... well then I hope you have a lot of Bitcoins to throw into exchanges!
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:07:18 AM

I've heard news stories on occasion about video game "economies". I usually just laugh about it that it even exists. Bitcoin and video game "economies" have no correlation to one another.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:44:25 AM

Thank you =)!!

Actually i was being sarcastic  Embarrassed
Trance (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:21:08 AM

well then you dont see the proof of work, sorry you have such convergent thinking, I'm more divergent.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: