Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:04:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solving MEW Security Issues  (Read 246 times)
Primal6666 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 12:42:19 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2018, 11:24:41 PM by Primal6666
Merited by sud (1), bitvoyager (1)

Couple advice of Solving MEW Security Issues:

Desktop versions.

1. From here Translation from Russian Thread

Time has come to abandon the DNS service and go straight to the sites.

To do that, open C: \ windows \ system32 \ drivers \ etc
open the hosts file and add to the end, lines
104.20.225.58 etherdelta.com
52.85.242.126 myetherwallet.com
then close and save the file

After that, your browser will go to the site strictly at the specified IP address

Additionally for advice #1:  From Naficopa
To make changes in the "hosts" file, the rights have to be raised to the administrator. This file should be moved to the desktop or to another location, edited with a notepad, save changes and re-moved there as an administrator.

Additionally for advice #1:  From CryptRoller
0: ALWAYS backup your hostfile before editing, so you can revert changes.
1. (for mac): https://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

2. People who use Google DNS servers, could change it to CloudFlare DNS servers.

Here are they. CloudFlare  About CloudFlare DNS Security: link

3. Use Offline Version of MEW, it will use internet connection only to make transactions. How to do that read here.

Additionally for advice #3:  From crypto_bit

There is one inconvenience if offline or semi-offline MEW is used. You need to manually add your new ERC-20 tokens. Online MEW recognizes them automatically most of the times. Only a small inconvenience while significantly safer usage. I can recommend this semi-offline version, and using a rather old github release (from before devs clash in social media, just to be sure you know folks!).

4. Instal Metamask or EtherAddressLookup, it will warn you if you go to a malicious website. Or buy Ledger, or Trezor. Its better to spend ~200 $ than to loose all your funds.

5. Here is some little tips from MEW, how to protect yourself. Link.

For mobile versions:

1. Use only high-quality wallets from well-known manufacturers. Read reviews. Remember that some wallets are exchanges and do not have cold storage, it's not safe. Always print a paper version of the wallet in order to be able to restore the wallet in case of loss, breakdown of the mobile device.

2. Use quality, guard apps for your mobile device.

3. It is best to have a mobile wallet for running costs, and the main funds to keep in a cold wallet.

4. There is information that you can install a metamask to your mobile phone using the mobile version of the firefox. (not exact)

5. You should turn on twofactor authentification if its able in your wallet.

6. For the security of cryptocurrency, it is possible to attract third parties. To do this, you need to create a multi-signature wallet, that is, with the possibility of verifying the transaction by several parties. "Most of the wallets of online exchangers and crypto exchanges have a mono signature, that is, the owner himself confirms the transfer of funds to someone else's account. If you open a wallet with a multi-signature, the transaction must be confirmed by a third party.

You can read about it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3022369.0

7. When using the mobile Internet, in the wi-fi settings, you can set a static IP address and configure alternative DNS servers.
 Use free wi-fi in public places for financial operations NOT SAFE!

I wish you good luck and to be safe.
If you have any other suggestions or tips, write it, i will add them.

OAX - BRIDGE TO TRADITIONAL FINANCE WORLD
OAX - INTEGRATION OF CRYPTOCURRENCY MARKET
■ oax.org ■ bit.ly/BttANN ■ bit.ly/ActiveBounty ■
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ghebung Masam

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:53:21 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. But that way only applies to desktop or laptop, how to its mobile version? Do you have any suggestions?

gpcminingteam

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 05:05:06 AM

Thank you for the information. It will be a great help.
sxafir

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 05:34:14 AM

I found new dns 1.1.1.1 by cloudflare but i have problem and change to auto.
user0000001

Activity: 938
Merit: 261

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:26:26 AM

thanks for the instructions. but can not CloudFlare be attacked? editing hosts file is better
xcbjsuw

Activity: 420
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:46:46 AM

Thank you for telling me how to solve the problems that are going on with Myetherwallet.
I used to use metasmask, so is it safe to use Metamask?
CryptRoller

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

Mining. Hosting. Cloud Mining.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 07:01:29 AM

Definitely good advice!
Additionally for advice #1: 
0: ALWAYS backup your hostfile before editing, so you can revert changes.
1. (for mac): https://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

[   eGOLD  M I N I N G   ]    Mining. Hosting. Cloud Mining.
                                INVEST NOW                              
❪❪ WP | How it Works ❫❫   ◾ telegram  ◾ facebook  ◾ twitter
Primal6666 (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:30:52 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. But that way only applies to desktop or laptop, how to its mobile version? Do you have any suggestions?

All I could found about mobile security, added.

Thank you for telling me how to solve the problems that are going on with Myetherwallet.
I used to use metasmask, so is it safe to use Metamask?

Yes it's better than nothing. But best decision still will be to have 1 cold wallet for main funds, and 1 for current operations.

I found new dns 1.1.1.1 by cloudflare but i have problem and change to auto.

What kind of problem. I have change it and it works perfectly.

sud

Activity: 826
Merit: 301

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:42:47 AM

@Primal6666

Nice tips, definietely worth doing regarding latest hacks. If someone wants to have even more security, but can't donwload the whole Ethereum blockchain to run wallet, there is a way to run MEW locally on offline computer and even make offline transactions. Here are the sources how to do it:

https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/offline/running-myetherwallet-locally.html
https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/offline/making-offline-transaction-on-myetherwallet.html
Zakifon

Activity: 104

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:53:27 AM

Metamask extension exclusively for Google Chrome browser? I use Opera-the extension could not be found  Embarrassed
Marahunter

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:29:00 PM

@Primal6666

Nice tips, definietely worth doing regarding latest hacks. If someone wants to have even more security, but can't donwload the whole Ethereum blockchain to run wallet, there is a way to run MEW locally on offline computer and even make offline transactions. Here are the sources how to do it:

https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/offline/running-myetherwallet-locally.html
https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/offline/making-offline-transaction-on-myetherwallet.html

When sending ERC-20 tokens from the wallet, is it necessary to have ethereum or the gas is automatically deducted from the value of the tokens being transferred?
sud

Activity: 826
Merit: 301

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:54:52 AM

@Marahunter

For transactions you must have some ETH on your wallet, GAS cannot be deducted from tokens.
Maldini07

Activity: 205

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 04:40:49 PM

thanks for your info guys.. This can help solve the security problems of MEW users who are lately rife with the hijacked issue. it's a good steps to secure ethereum from theft and phising.
Good luck for you
airdropan

Activity: 532

♦♦♦♦♦

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 05:13:40 PM

what name for mobile apps wallet, that perform like mew

did u know about imtoken? i inputed my private key there
but im worrying about my ballance there.

and thank for suggestion using metamask
thats help me alot for not input any key in market like forkdelta

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Naficopa

Activity: 2002
Merit: 516

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 06:00:32 PM

Very good advice. It will certainly help many people to protect themselves from losing money.
Only to make changes in the "hosts" file, the rights have to be raised to the administrator. This file should be moved to the desktop or to another location, edited with a notepad, save changes and re-moved there as an administrator.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Primal6666 (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 06:51:40 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 07:01:51 PM by Primal6666

@Primal6666

Thank you. I will be glad if I could help someone save their money or avoid losing them. Thanks for the links, but they are already added. Advice number 3, desktop version.

Metamask extension exclusively for Google Chrome browser? I use Opera-the extension could not be found  Embarrassed

Yes, i saw somewhere in net an information, that mobile version of firefox works with addons, same as desktop version. You can try and tell us if it really works.

what name for mobile apps wallet, that perform like mew

did u know about imtoken? i inputed my private key there
but im worrying about my ballance there.

and thank for suggestion using metamask
thats help me alot for not input any key in market like forkdelta

Honestly, I do not know. I consider that all mobile wallets are not safe. As far as I know, the most popular Electrum and Jaxx, also there is Exodus and the Bitcoin Core for Bitcoin. But this is not advice, I repeat, I consider that mobile wallets are not safe.

Duallimit

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:24:44 PM

@Primal6666

Thank you, your article was very helpfull. I'm sure that it will help to save the money of at least a few people, it's great. I think purchasing Ledger or Trezor will be the best solution.
crypto_bit

Activity: 168
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:44:49 PM

Good post, but there is one inconvenience if offline or semi-offline MEW is used. You need to manually add your new ERC-20 tokens. Online MEW recognizes them automatically most of the times. Only a small inconvenience while significantly safer usage. I can recommend this semi-offline version, and using a rather old github release (from before devs clash in social media, just to be sure you know folks!).   
Primal6666 (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 04:47:08 PM

Good post, but there is one inconvenience if offline or semi-offline MEW is used. You need to manually add your new ERC-20 tokens. Online MEW recognizes them automatically most of the times. Only a small inconvenience while significantly safer usage. I can recommend this semi-offline version, and using a rather old github release (from before devs clash in social media, just to be sure you know folks!).   

Thank you for your addition. I have added it to the thread.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: