Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:47:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Locked out of MultiBit - Password changed involuntarily, €100 reward offered!  (Read 2524 times)
Roan (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:22:07 AM

To start my problem, a few weeks ago I have bought Bitcoins on localbitcoins.com. Reading into security issues, I thought it would be best to sent them to an electronical wallet. That's why I downloaded multibit, and sent some Bitcoins there some time ago. I've only made 3 transactions in total with it. Today, I have sent some amount to my brother, so he could profit from the rising price of bitcoins as well.

When I made the trasaction (this afternoon), I did not need a password. Today, localbitcoins.com was acting a bit weird (not loading some pages, very long loading times in general), which made me distrust localbitcoins for the amount of money I had in it (400 euros or something) - so I sent all of it to my MultiBit wallet, which is on my desktop. This took a long time (the loading) but it finally came through. After that, I wanted to send a small amount to another friend of mine, and I suddenly needed to use a password. I am 100% sure that I did not need a password when I sent bitcoins to my brother this afternoon, and I am 100% sure I did not change the password in between the two transactions. The really weird thing is that my BTC are not gone from my wallet, they are still there. However, I can't send anything or change the password. I have good protection software on my desktop (licensed Norton antivirus), so I have no clue what exactly happened. I am also sure that no one has touched my desktop in the meantime.

TL;DR:
- Bought Bitcoins on Localbitcoins
- Tried to send the remaining BTC on localbitcoins to my MultiBit which has been working perfectly fine
- Suddenly has a password and I didn't change it

Does anyone have an idea what happened? I remember that during the transaction from localbitcoins to my multibit there was a long waiting time and it said (establishing safe network). The weird thing is, after 8 hours the BTC are still in my wallet. I know I'm extremely stupid for not backing up my wallet and not having a password on it. I could shoot myself for not protecting it properly, which is totally my own fault. I didn't know MultiBit required a password, and I should definitely have researched it better. Could anyone explain what happened and if there is a way to retrieve them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
filchef

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:29:42 PM

You can try to recover all yours private keys then you can install last version of Multibit and import them
How to find your private keys you can see here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.msg909038#msg909038 -  - first make backup of your wallet in safe place.
Roan (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:51:13 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply! However, the conclusion is that I am actually a total retard haha. I have the idea that MultiBit never asked for my password before, but that might just be my brain fooling me. After a lot of trying out passwords I took a small break and focused on something else, and after that it suddenly dawned to me, that I actually DID set a password a long time ago. I'm in an honours programme in University and I haven't slept a lot lately (exam weeks), so that's probably the issue here.

I'm extremely sorry for bothering, and if anyone else sees this post later on having the same problem: Calm down, don't stress out, think clearly because you probably know it. My case is a special case because I am moronic and couldn't remember I actually set a password in the first place. But if you have troubles remembering your password, take a break and focus. If you know parts of the password, you could look into scripts, or use walletrecoveryservices dot com. They might be able to brute force your password (25% of the time).

Hope my stupidity has helped anyone out there, and also sorry for doubting Multibit, which is an excellent client!

Conclusion: I am a retard, but a wealthy retard!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 10:24:00 AM

Glad you got a successful resolution Roan.

Personally I don't really like passwords but they are best we have to protect bitcoins until hardware wallets come online.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
earonesty

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 06:06:41 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply! However, the conclusion is that I am actually a total retard haha. I have the idea that MultiBit never asked for my password before, but that might just be my brain fooling me. After a lot of trying out passwords I took a small break and focused on something else, and after that it suddenly dawned to me, that I actually DID set a password a long time ago. I'm in an honours programme in University and I haven't slept a lot lately (exam weeks), so that's probably the issue here.

I'm extremely sorry for bothering, and if anyone else sees this post later on having the same problem: Calm down, don't stress out, think clearly because you probably know it. My case is a special case because I am moronic and couldn't remember I actually set a password in the first place. But if you have troubles remembering your password, take a break and focus. If you know parts of the password, you could look into scripts, or use walletrecoveryservices dot com. They might be able to brute force your password (25% of the time).

Hope my stupidity has helped anyone out there, and also sorry for doubting Multibit, which is an excellent client!

Conclusion: I am a retard, but a wealthy retard!

Use a passhash generator.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: