Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:00:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GBP into Bitstamp? Transferwise won't allow it any more - tips please (UK)  (Read 4883 times)
kurious (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:31:17 PM

I used to use Transferwise - which is great, but they won't transfer GBP (via Euros) to any BTC exchanges anymore (or so it just said).

Want to get sterling form UK bank into the system, used up my goxbux, so I figure getting in via Bitstamp.  I have an account there, but how does smart money get it in...?

Help appreciated!

我想要火箭和火车

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nitrous

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:43:30 PM

I used to use Transferwise - which is great, but they won't transfer GBP (via Euros) to any BTC exchanges anymore (or so it just said).

Want to get sterling form UK bank into the system, used up my goxbux, so I figure getting in via Bitstamp.  I have an account there, but how does smart money get it in...?

Help appreciated!

First, make sure you're verified (if not, it's not that hard). Then, either wire it or use a SEPA transfer.

Donations: 1Q2EN7TzJ6z82xvmQrRoQoMf3Tf4rMCyvL
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
miztaziggy

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:27:02 PM

Yeah maybe I am missing something obvious, but can you not do a normal SEPA transfer by going into your bank branch, or even online with some banks?

*Image Removed*
kurious (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:08:35 PM

Yeah maybe I am missing something obvious, but can you not do a normal SEPA transfer by going into your bank branch, or even online with some banks?

Am with co-op - no option for Sepa...  Will try wire if that is the only way, but I think I will get thumped for much higher charges...

Transferwise was very cheap...!  I am verified had to be to get last lot of BTC moving around a little.

I will have to although rumour has it Stamp is virtually down at the moment - can't cope with trade volumes and is way behind on transfers in non-euro currency.

I will try bank to them, I guess - but I was hoping for an OK Pay or Trasnferwise type solution...

Cheers!

K

我想要火箭和火车
nitrous

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:49:18 PM

Am with co-op - no option for Sepa...  Will try wire if that is the only way, but I think I will get thumped for much higher charges...

Transferwise was very cheap...!  I am verified had to be to get last lot of BTC moving around a little.

I will have to although rumour has it Stamp is virtually down at the moment - can't cope with trade volumes and is way behind on transfers in non-euro currency.

I will try bank to them, I guess - but I was hoping for an OK Pay or Trasnferwise type solution...

Cheers!

K

Unfortunately companies like that have a history of getting shut down because of AML concerns, etc. If you want to do regular transfers, maybe you should consider opening another bank account with one which has cheap SEPA and wire fees just for bitcoin exchanges? And if you're concerned about bitstamp, consider some of the other exchanges, Kraken looks very promising and I believe a UK-based exchange just opened up as well.

MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
kurious (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:23:05 AM

Cheers!

K

Unfortunately companies like that have a history of getting shut down because of AML concerns, etc. If you want to do regular transfers, maybe you should consider opening another bank account with one which has cheap SEPA and wire fees just for bitcoin exchanges? And if you're concerned about bitstamp, consider some of the other exchanges, Kraken looks very promising and I believe a UK-based exchange just opened up as well.

Thanks - will look out for a UK exchange.

Can only do transfers over the phone at Co-op (which I don't like - one key stroke wrong and it's a big risk) so I am opening a new bank account... 

Do you know if money has to come in from an account in my name, mate - can't see on Stamp's FAQ...

我想要火箭和火车
nitrous

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:01:48 PM

Cheers!

K

Thanks - will look out for a UK exchange.

Can only do transfers over the phone at Co-op (which I don't like - one key stroke wrong and it's a big risk) so I am opening a new bank account... 

Do you know if money has to come in from an account in my name, mate - can't see on Stamp's FAQ...

Hey mate, I would think it would have to be in the name you verify with (so either you or your company), but then again transferwise seemed to work so maybe it's not as strict. It would definitely be safest to use your name though - you don't want to get caught up in any AML-related beaurocracy.

capa

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 09:35:57 AM

Transfer wise is not working for me right now. It says this Recipient is unauthorized.
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 10:15:45 PM

Transfer wise is not working for me right now. It says this Recipient is unauthorized.

Theres not many options then, esp when transfer wise is a good transfer service for international payments.

I mean you can try googling other international money transfer services, but there isnt much out there compared to transferwise.

I can only think of is a basic bank wire transfer.

capa

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 06:17:53 AM

Ya I had a Google there are other companies like Xoom. But for now I think I'm going to just take the hit on bank transfer fees.

Thanks for your reply.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: