Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:30:38 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MyEtherWallet Succumbs to DNS Attack with $ 17 million stolen  (Read 520 times)
barlo357

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:29:21 PM

Yes that's true because me myself was a victim also by the mercy less hackers anyway its not a big money, I earned that money in my first bounty profit I was exited get my money in my wallet all the sudden all of my money inside my wallet was gone tsk tsk so pity.But I learned to my lesson now, that never trust anybody here even your relatives.

baus

Activity: 203
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:39:06 PM

How much did you lost in there? I was very worried about that, but i have a trezor wallet, that is why i am not "worried" at all.. But we all are taking a huge risk in here, that is why using an online wallet is extremely UNSAFE.

Yes that's true because me myself was a victim also by the mercy less hackers anyway its not a big money, I earned that money in my first bounty profit I was exited get my money in my wallet all the sudden all of my money inside my wallet was gone tsk tsk so pity.But I learned to my lesson now, that never trust anybody here even your relatives.
Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 09:40:32 PM

this is always going to be the problem with web wallets which is why they are always considered the least secure of all types of wallets. but unfortunately for ethereum there aren't any good options like there are for bitcoin. for instance we have Electrum for bitcoin which is a light wallet which is fast, secure and easy to use. but for ethereum there aren't any easy to use wallets that are fast and secure and don't take up all your hard disk space and bandwidth.

Actually, MEW is not a web wallet, but rather a client-side interface for accessing blockchain. Smiley You can also run MEW offline on a computer that has no internet connection. You dowload their entire website interface from GitHub and you can generate wallets offline. You can also send transactions offline by signing them on offline computer and transfering that signature (streak of characters) from that computer to an online computer via lets say usb. You then send that signed transaction through MEW. Nobody can steal your assets, because private key doesn't leave the offline computer (it is similar than with hardware wallets which are safer by the way).

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
South Park

Activity: 2926
Merit: 798

I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:42:45 PM

17Million dollars?  How could people have fallen for this?  When my devices are connected to my financial dealings I can access any site with them but the one i use for crypto or internet banking holds extra security. I don't access just any site.

I feel sorry for those victims.
In this case I do not think it is wise to blame the victims, they did not fall prey of an email and they clicked on a link and then they lost their money, what happened was that they tried to access the right site and then they were redirected by a malicious server, so I think that people need to seriously consider stop using my ether wallet and find another way to access their coins.
Muslimin mj

Activity: 569
Merit: 18

Goldeth.io

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:00:37 PM

I think it has become a serious problem that most often occurs in myetherwallet, there is a gap that can always be broken by the dumper website or the hacker, the question arises whether, myetherwallet hacked by hackers outsiders or indeed internal hackers in the company.

marvtridon

Activity: 151
Merit: 3

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:07:28 PM

Popular Ethereum wallet interface MyEtherWallet has succumbed to a DNS hijacking attack that allowed a hacker to redirect users to a malicious version of the website.

The MEW confirmed that this was not their fault and was trying their best to identify the attacked server to fix things as soon as possible.
This topic is rapidly spreading on the Reddit forum. The attacking IP address seems to come from Russia. At the time of writing, 25,000 ETH ($ 17 million) has been stolen.

It is highly recommend that everyone be careful when using the MEW wallet and follow the security instructions by MEW wallet. In other words, you are advised to integrate Metamask into login and make direct transactions via Metamask. If you want to check your balance, visit https://etherscan.io/, which means you do not have to log into MyEtherwallet.com anymore, so you will avoid the hidden potential risk here.

Rothscoin team.

There was a warning but some people didn't listen and got rekt while others were outta ignorance.

If anyone discovers some weird things in their browsers they should stop immediately. Crypto is fragile

CRYPTASSIST.io   |▌  ICO has Started  ▶  JOIN NOW!
THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD   ⚫  WIN A TESLA ROADSTER!
Dcoollakky247

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:16:25 PM

It has clearly be written on their site before this attack. People have been advised to use metamask as alternative. Preferably, I use ethplorer.io or etherscan to check my token balance.
Shenzou

Activity: 1400
Merit: 283

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:16:36 PM

Popular Ethereum wallet interface MyEtherWallet has succumbed to a DNS hijacking attack that allowed a hacker to redirect users to a malicious version of the website.

The MEW confirmed that this was not their fault and was trying their best to identify the attacked server to fix things as soon as possible.
This topic is rapidly spreading on the Reddit forum. The attacking IP address seems to come from Russia. At the time of writing, 25,000 ETH ($ 17 million) has been stolen.

It is highly recommend that everyone be careful when using the MEW wallet and follow the security instructions by MEW wallet. In other words, you are advised to integrate Metamask into login and make direct transactions via Metamask. If you want to check your balance, visit https://etherscan.io/, which means you do not have to log into MyEtherwallet.com anymore, so you will avoid the hidden potential risk here.

Rothscoin team.

It is really unfortunate for anyone using it, the problem with etehreum users is that they don't have option to keep their funds in a hardware or paper wallet such is the case with bitcoin, and this is why most people avoid online wallets because they are vulnerable to attacks and hacks, that is why all the hacking that has been going on the cryptocurrency is all concerning altcoins, because their network does not have the same level of security as the bitcoin does.
boyjackyou

Activity: 301
Merit: 11

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:21:21 PM

Rothscoin team.

MEtamask is indeed going to protect our private keys,i am only using a hardwallet and metamask extension to protect those bitcoins which i possessed.It will be enough to secure our coins because of the built in private keys in our hardwallets,these hacker wont have any chance of stealing our coins as it needs to put those codes in your wallet manual.

cryptokia

Activity: 198

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:21:27 PM

So yes, when we register on a MyEtherWallet they warn us, to doublecheck site adress, where you are filling your forms and enter your info.
mynamehere

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:23:10 PM

This morning I found a loss of 0.82 ETH from my wallet. But I did not go there 20 days and could not light the key. Pleased to surprise - yesterday I thought where to attach, but today there are no such thoughts.
Norihiro

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

APOLLOX Protocol

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:24:28 PM

I was just shocked by this info, I'm really thankful to all the powers that I was not checking my wallets during that crucial period of time.

PERSISTENCE   //   BUY XPRT now!
●✦●───●✦●───  Protocol Powering Next-Gen Financial Products  ───●✦●───●✦●
│██ ██ ███ █████   DeFi    NFT    PoS  █████ ███ ██ ██│
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2898
Merit: 776

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:26:00 PM

You know what ? OP is writing random thing and smugle his website link there. There no 17million stolen https://etherscan.io/address/0x1d50588c0aa11959a5c28831ce3dc5f1d3120d29 here the hacker wallet. I hope you guys still be aware too.
Been searching up which wallet on where OP is tending to say here.$17 million stolen is indeed high amount but i dont think the address you given in on the ones who do make that redirection or DNS hack of mew. 215 Ether is just too small out of that DNS attack but yet its quite big money basing on current Eth price which is $641 that would be still roughly on $137k.
Hacking incidents do really happen and most of the time they do appear when theres a bullish trend or market is on greens. Wink

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2884
Merit: 599

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:33:18 PM

Yea I have noticed yesterday that the website of MEW is not accesable there was something on the page that it was being attack by some kind of crap I thought I was having problem with my Internet or Browser and now that I have read this it is clear now Thanks!

I never check my MEW regularly and as what the OP states, I used etherscan.io first to check my balance and see something wrong with my wallet before logging it. One thing I noticed though is that I have received some weird tokens so
I reported it to be a scam coin.

And now I was surprised to see the news that MEW was exploited again. And this is not the first time that this incident happened so I hope that everyone did learn from the past mistakes and bookmark MEW or used Metatask and be careful on the links that you clicked while browsing the web.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
Numir

Activity: 67

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:36:37 PM

You know what ? OP is writing random thing and smugle his website link there. There no 17million stolen https://etherscan.io/address/0x1d50588c0aa11959a5c28831ce3dc5f1d3120d29 here the hacker wallet. I hope you guys still be aware too.
Been searching up which wallet on where OP is tending to say here.$17 million stolen is indeed high amount but i dont think the address you given in on the ones who do make that redirection or DNS hack of mew. 215 Ether is just too small out of that DNS attack but yet its quite big money basing on current Eth price which is $641 that would be still roughly on $137k.
Hacking incidents do really happen and most of the time they do appear when theres a bullish trend or market is on greens. Wink

wow, $17 mil. is a large number if it's true. People should be more careful. It's easy to get lazy and let your guard down.

I don't blame OP for putting their website, but when I see two guys in suits on some website, offering me something, right away I can see a big sign fraud lol.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
mynamehere

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 10:44:06 PM

After today's loss, I stopped trusting MyEtherWallet. If it is hacked, and I did not go to any fake sites, I decided all the shadows, not even very valuable, to bring to the stock exchanges. For today, wallets will be used only for transfer from one exchange to another.
bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:18:56 PM

That is a crazy thing to happen. Stole DNS, wow, it is very high tech skill one who can attack such technique. How about using JSON file It is still secure or not. when people log with pv key it is vulnareble to attack. As long as I use JSOn file , the asset is secure.
kiw_91

Activity: 291
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:36:30 PM

Due to the lack of security of the MEW website. I find it very disturbing at times. I pity all the people that were affected by the hack. They should implement a simple verification security feature to avoid such attack. Today all the people are selling and we can see a bloodbath in CMC. Due to these hacks, the prices kept going down.
totnaksquad

Activity: 182

Revolutionising Marketing and Loyalty

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:38:15 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 09:18:24 PM by totnaksquad

oh crap,that is going to be the reason why the market alts are dumping because of this incident! we should be protecting ourselves so that we wont get hack in the future.If you are having metamask extension in your browser,together with your hardwallet you should be fine not unless you are one of those unlucky people who logged in when the attack was happen.

stomachgrowls

Activity: 2898
Merit: 776

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:41:39 PM

wow, $17 mil. is a large number if it's true. People should be more careful. It's easy to get lazy and let your guard down.

I don't blame OP for putting their website, but when I see two guys in suits on some website, offering me something, right away I can see a big sign fraud lol.

You are quoting my post without significant connection towards on what you reply.You are not getting my point and my question towards op on what address and sources where op claims about that $17M hacked tokens amounts.
Due to the lack of security of the MEW website. I find it very disturbing at times. I pity all the people that were affected by the hack. They should implement a simple verification security feature to avoid such attack. Today all the people are selling and we can see a bloodbath in CMC. Due to these hacks, the prices kept going down.
This is DNS hacked which involves on the domain itself and MEW has nothing to do with redirection.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███