Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:38:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transactions coming from Blockchain.info taking forever to confirm lately?  (Read 5762 times)
_mr_e (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:41:37 PM

What is going on with confirmation lately? I normally just use blockchain.info to send and add fees whenever it warns me I need a fee. Lately when I send my coins they have been getting stuck with 0 confirmations for a LONG time. Right now I have a transaction that is coming up on 20 hours. Blockchain never warned me I needed I fee. I sent another transaction where I used custom send and filled out a fee of 0.0001 and it went through quickly.

This has been happenly a lot... Is the network starting to move away from accepting any free transactions or something? This is not good...
qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:43:36 PM

i sent with .12 fee hoping it would speed it up. and it a fucking joke how long its taking.
kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:46:28 PM

Big mistake to not put at least some reward.
qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:50:32 PM

i might start sending all mine with a minimum of a 1-5$ fee and see if it helps to get things moving faster.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:50:50 PM

What is going on with confirmation lately? I normally just use blockchain.info to send and add fees whenever it warns me I need a fee. Lately when I send my coins they have been getting stuck with 0 confirmations for a LONG time. Right now I have a transaction that is coming up on 20 hours. Blockchain never warned me I needed I fee. I sent another transaction where I used custom send and filled out a fee of 0.0001 and it went through quickly.

This has been happenly a lot... Is the network starting to move away from accepting any free transactions or something? This is not good...

I think this is a bug if come sort. I sent a transaction that should have had a fee automatically added but I didn't double check and now it's going to just hang in mid air for a few days.

Truth be told I was sending coins to the exchange to sell, maybe I would have caught the top, maybe not. Anyway, I told myself earlier to not sell, so I am just taking it as karma.  :-)

more or less retired.
Barek

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

i might start sending all mine with a minimum of a 1-5$ fee and see if it helps to get things moving faster.

There are two reasons that can delay your transactions at the moment.
  • No transaction fee. (I believe double minimum will cause it to be put in extra area, if the miner uses the default configuration.)
  • Address reuse. (Some miners will delay transactions that reuse addresses to discourage this practice. Blockchain.info reuses addresses.)
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 03:52:00 PM

It seems that Bitcoin reached it's first soft limit yesterday - the block size limit. It's actually 1 mb, but for whatever reason some pools set it to 0.25 mb or 0.5 mb. Another btctalker said the standard client uses 0.25 mb.

Other threads:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=338452.msg3634352#msg3634352
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=338793.msg3634344#msg3634344

porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:59:12 PM

There are two reasons that can delay your transactions at the moment.
  • No transaction fee. (I believe double minimum will cause it to be put in extra area, if the miner uses the default configuration.)
  • Address reuse. (Some miners will delay transactions that reuse addresses to discourage this practice. Blockchain.info reuses addresses.)

Why #2? Miner really check if the adresses are reused? What incentive do the have to do this extra effort?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Barek

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:04:43 PM

Why #2? Miner really check if the adresses are reused? What incentive do the have to do this extra effort?

It is a response to the coin blacklisting talks. From what I understand, it is only being tested.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334316.0
(some quality responses in that thread btw)
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:25:55 PM

It is a response to the coin blacklisting talks. From what I understand, it is only being tested.

(some quality responses in that thread btw)

Why should I as a miner do this? This costs extra computing time = less blocks = less profit.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
xephyr

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:45:05 PM

I think this is a bug if come sort. I sent a transaction that should have had a fee automatically added but I didn't double check and now it's going to just hang in mid air for a few days.

Truth be told I was sending coins to the exchange to sell, maybe I would have caught the top, maybe not. Anyway, I told myself earlier to not sell, so I am just taking it as karma.  :-)

Agree, there is a problem with blockchain. I have set to automatically include miner fee but a transaction went out without a fee and is stuck for over two days now.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:02:48 PM

all of you using blockchain.info wallets. vanity addresses or simply an address that has been reused. please thank Luke JR for the delays

it is also worth noting that the poll has been formed to trick people into agreeing. if you disagree call luke an idiot or say "if its from luke it cant be good.( the red choices):

You're an idiot, don't do this!   - 97 (41.6%)
I don't like this, but I agree we need to move forward with it.   - 21 (9%)
We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now.   - 20 (8.6%)
Great, it's about time!   - 36 (15.5%)
You're a hero, let's get this deployed everywhere ASAP!   - 43 (18.5%)
If it's from Luke, it can't be any good.   - 16 (6.9%)

its been said in this message https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334316.msg3606605#msg3606605
that the "i dont like this" and "we should have waited longer" are also responses that in the end agree to the delays...

and as a separate consensus in other conversations that the only true disagree to protocol statements (red choices) look to be personal vendetta's against luke thus should not really count, meaning its all designed to force a yes vote

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

Those suggesting that we should have included a fee, please understand that with the iOS Blockchain.info app [for instance], you just press "send."

You can log in with a web-browser and set your fees to "generous" but this still does not fix the problem.  Blockchain.info simply sends 0-fee transactions once and a while (I suppose when the transaction has a high-priority, e.g., old coins).

Blockchain.info wallets are very friendly to new users, but having transactions still unconfirmed after 24 hours may give new users the impression that "bitcoin is buggy."

piuk:  if you are reading this, is there some way we can always include *at least* a 0.0001 BTC fee?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:10:32 PM

all of you using blockchain.info wallets. vanity addresses or simply an address that has been reused. please thank Luke JR for the delays

This is emphatically not true.  The long confirmation times are affecting 0-fee transactions, not ones with re-used addresses.  This problem had been noted before Luke introduced his patch.  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327927
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327818
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327821

Also, Luke's patch can *only* affect what transactions get included in blocks found by Luke JR's pool (eliguis)!  

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:16:05 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 05:28:10 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The default block rules only allow 27KB (~60 avg sized txs) of free txs.   I would strongly recommend paying the min fee (0.1mBTC) even on tx which can be "free" (high priority) or accept that it can be hours or days before your free tx is confirmed a charity.

Pools prioritize tx by fee per KB and 99.9% of tx paying a fee pay the min (0.1 mBTC) so you may want to consider making your default fee slightly higher (like 0.1001 mBTC). Smiley  My tx are almost (~95% of time) included in the next block.

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:20:43 PM

Blocks only allow 27KB (~60 avg sized txs) of free txs.   I would strongly recommend paying the min fee (0.1mBTC) even on tx which can be "free" (high priority).

Thanks D&T for those precise numbers.  The problem for a lot of us is that we use the Blockchain.info app for iOS (does Android have the same problem?) and we can't force the app to include a 0.0001 BTC fee.  

I think piuk would have to address this problem.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:27:44 PM

Blocks only allow 27KB (~60 avg sized txs) of free txs.   I would strongly recommend paying the min fee (0.1mBTC) even on tx which can be "free" (high priority).

Thanks D&T for those precise numbers.  The problem for a lot of us is that we use the Blockchain.info app for iOS (does Android have the same problem?) and we can't force the app to include a 0.0001 BTC fee. 

I think piuk would have to address this problem.

Well if you have a broken wallet your only options are
a) stop using it
b) advocate the author fix it (although since piuk STILL uses GPU numbers for one of his miner profit charts I wouldn't hold your breath)
c) do both
Barek

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:29:39 PM

Why should I as a miner do this? This costs extra computing time = less blocks = less profit.

It is a way to encourage better practice in the whole network, at a small loss for the miner.

Potentially to show regulators that there is something that the network could do, should there be an attempt to blacklist coins.

For more details you would need to read the thread. Like I said, it appears to be temporary for testing purposes.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:31:25 PM

It is a way to encourage better practice in the whole network, at a small loss for the miner.

Correction there is no cost to the miner.

Miners ALREADY prioritize txs for selection into the next block.  The patch simply changes the rules on how they will be prioritized.
Barek

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:34:11 PM

Correction there is no cost to the miner.

Miners ALREADY prioritize txs for selection into the next block.  The patch simply changes the rules on how they will be prioritized.

Won't it delay some TX that would have payed a fee?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: