Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:26:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Destroying bitcoin is easy...  (Read 2328 times)
kerogre256 (OP)

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:43:26 PM

It's actually very easy, because only one person is compiling 'official' bitcoin client which is used by thousands users, force this person to corrupt, backdoor 'official' client and you can destroy bitcoin in just few second... and don't give me argument you 'can Compile it yourself' 90% use standard bitcoin-qt client.
qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:47:54 PM

It's actually very easy, because only one person is compiling 'official' bitcoin client which is used by thousands users, force this person to corrupt, backdoor 'official' client and you can destroy bitcoin in just few second... and don't give me argument you 'can Compile it yourself' 90% use standard bitcoin-qt client.

wouldn't surprise me if that is how the prices are manipulated. money=greed
kerogre256 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:51:10 PM

you cant manipulate price this way...
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:53:15 PM

you cant manipulate price this way...

price is falling, you are creating post (useless) about destroying bitcoin and saying that you are not manipulating, right Smiley

edit: and btw, it is really easy to check what new parts of code had been changed since last version. Even if most people are using pre compiled versions still someone would raise an alarm on the forums.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

I compile from source. So I'm the only one in the world?

Fail.

Bitemarx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:58:18 PM

Fail.

Do you read source before compiling ? I used to but stopped when windows 95 was realeased.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:08:58 PM

Fail.

Do you read source before compiling ? I used to but stopped when windows 95 was realeased.

Well no. But I sometimes look what changes have happened since last version.

You have to put some trust in at some stage. Be it hardware level, OS level or software level. There's no getting around it.
For example, do I check all the source code of Linux and compile it myself. Of course not. I take a leap of faith.

BitVegas

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:13:46 PM

If anything ever threatens Bitcoin on a major level that affects every users balance. The network can do a rollback to before it happened.

Yes it would be bad for many merchants to rollback transactions but if it's either that or have the entire network destroyed it can happen!

All you need is 51% of the miners to agree.

I guess my point is, if 51%+ of users don't want bitcoin to die.. it won't.

Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:20:49 PM

I've read that the authenticity of the official binary is confirmed by many people before release (and anyone can do it afterwards too).

Include anything not in the public tree and itnwill be noticed very quickly.
Sage

Activity: 632

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:30:48 PM

Perhaps you should google "open source" my friend.

...That's okay... you seem to be kinda new to this open source concept.  We'll give you some slack.
bobcaticus

Activity: 553

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:57:49 PM

um. no.

it's not like in the movies where a person pushes the big red 'hack' button.

open source has a series of checks and balances with github builds.
corebob

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:37:57 PM

Thanks to open source, backdoors is usually found and fixed, and the one how did it is recognized.
What worries me more than bitcoind is the java binaries that some wallets depends on. Those java binaries can contain anything and nobody would know about it.
It is also possible to create laws that require you to add a backdoor and another law that prevents you from being honest about it.

The best tool we have is to require all crypto related software (and even hardware) to be open source
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:39:05 PM

No, they use gitian: https://gitian.org/
kerogre256 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:44:23 PM

No, they use gitian: https://gitian.org/
Ok false alarm then ... Cool
Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:51:55 PM

how would one do a review of the qt client code? I know you can download it all but where to start?
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:26:49 PM

how would one do a review of the qt client code? I know you can download it all but where to start?

Go to the official website maybe?
Ecurb123

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:34:20 PM

Go to the official website maybe?

that's correct, one could start there, but eventually what you'll find is a large collection of files and folders, which one to start with? I feel like the bitcoin-qt.pro might be a good start but is there some sort of architecture diagram of the structure out there?   
Ecurb123

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:48:31 PM

by the way, maybe I should start to read the stickys, this seems to be a good start to read:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41718.0
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:58:42 PM

You know the only place you have to post stupid/pointless ideas is in the first five of the Newbie Section right?

Even if those 80% or whatever number you made up run bitcoin-qt and the code is subverted somehow those of us who "give you that shit" that we compile our own would then be rich.

So, please, destroy your coins. And don't give me that shit "LOL I ROLLED MAH FACE ON THE KEYBOARD BUT NOTHING WORKS"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: