Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:43:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just purchased tiny fraction BTC for first time; now what?  (Read 1331 times)
bitzenbits (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:36:17 PM

I used localbitcoins and found a seller w/great FB... they deposited the BTC immediately; it posted by the time I was home from the bank!

Yayyyy!

BUT... now I have a wallet on localbitcoins; I didn't expect that. Somehow I thought that the address I gave was strictly associated with my blockchain wallet and I'd see the post there.

So - now I have the same address in two different "clients" (or places; whatever) and I can see the balance associated with that address in the localbitcoin wallet but not the blockchain wallet...

Why? Does this mean I'm stuck with funds for the same address in two different wallets? I was *just* getting the hang (sorta/kinda) of how to manage the blockchain wallet, and now this localbitcoin wallet appears.

Am I making any sense?

This is exactly the reason I started with a very small amount; in-case something took my by surprise. Wink
bitzenbits (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:27:16 PM

Huh
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 09:36:05 PM

whats your question mr?

gongomanny

Activity: 301
Merit: 250

Ɓιтcσιη

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:10:38 PM

So - now I have the same address in two different "clients" (or places; whatever) and I can see the balance associated with that address in the localbitcoin wallet but not the blockchain wallet...

I dont know how localbitcoins wallet works, but maybe you have to withdraw it from localbitcoins, or the BTC is in escrow now waiting for BTC seller confirmation ?
bitbitz

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:48:32 PM

You need to withdraw it to a wallet of your own.
Probably

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:51:28 PM

I used localbitcoins and found a seller w/great FB... they deposited the BTC immediately; it posted by the time I was home from the bank!

Yayyyy!

BUT... now I have a wallet on localbitcoins; I didn't expect that. Somehow I thought that the address I gave was strictly associated with my blockchain wallet and I'd see the post there.

Why? Does this mean I'm stuck with funds for the same address in two different wallets? I was *just* getting the hang (sorta/kinda) of how to manage the blockchain wallet, and now this localbitcoin wallet appears.

Am I making any sense?

This is exactly the reason I started with a very small amount; in-case something took my by surprise. Wink

You're confused... post your address and the amount, where you "expect" it to be and the address where it "actually" is. I'm unsure how you "gave one address" and its at a different address.

bitzenbits (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:52:34 PM

Thank you both for trying to help me...

I'm.sooooooo.confused.

Cry  

I know I'm probably not using the correct terminology.

I have a wallet on blockchain.

I went to localbitcoins and found a seller. Made a bank deposit and came home.

Localbitcoins then showed my successful receipt of (albeit small fractional) funds...

It says it's in my "localbitcoins wallet."

Yep, now I see that I have a localbitcoins wallet and funds there.

However - I have no idea what those funds are attached to... what the address is or keys are or anything of the sort. I just... have funds there.

I was confused. I gave the seller the address for my blockchain wallet and thought that's where the BTC would go instead.

It didn't.

I'm still confused. I see that I can send the BTC that are in the localbitcoins wallet to my blockchain address myself... but I'm not sure if that's what I should do.

So - I have funds in localbitcoins but don't see an address or key, don't understand how to "confirm" or whatever and I'm unsure if I should send the BTC to my blockchain wallet, which I only have a penny or two in.

So, sooooooo lost.

Sad

bitzenbits (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:58:45 PM

You need to withdraw it to a wallet of your own.

Okay... sorry that I typed the previous response as this reply posted.
That's what I was wondering; thank you... so I SHOULD take it out of localbitcoins and withdraw to the blockchain wallet; as I originally intended....

right?   Embarrassed
almostmike

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:08:17 AM

It's quite simple. Send the BTC in your localbitcoins wallet to your blockchain wallet address.

You may have given the seller your blockchain wallet address, but the seller wouldn't have sent it there. Once the bitcoins are released from escrow, they're sent to your localbitcoins wallet automatically. So just send those over to your blockchain wallet. Easy.

Go to https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/wallet/ and enter your blockchain wallet address and the amount you want to send to your blockchain wallet. Hope that helps. Smiley
Stake

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:09:38 AM

Firstly, take a break with the semi-colons.

There should be somewhere on localbitcoins where you can transfer out the Bitcoin from there to your Blockchain.info account.
bitzenbits (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:11:02 AM

It's quite simple. Send the BTC in your localbitcoins wallet to your blockchain wallet address.

You may have given the seller your blockchain wallet address, but the seller wouldn't have sent it there. Once the bitcoins are released from escrow, they're sent to your localbitcoins wallet automatically. So just send those over to your blockchain wallet. Easy.

THANK YOU; you're right - that was easy (just did it.)

BUT... now it says "unconfirmed transaction" over in the blockchain wallet. Is there something *I* must to do confirm? Or is this something the "system" does and I have no control over that part?

almostmike

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:12:45 AM

Just wait a few minutes and it should confirm automatically. Don't worry. Smiley

EDIT: I had one transaction that took almost an hour to confirm, but most only took about 10 minutes.
zamolxes

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:20:38 AM

Does anyone know which is the safest and secure site to buy bitcoin with you credit card and then send them to your wallet? Thanks
bitzenbits (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:41:10 AM

Just wait a few minutes and it should confirm automatically. Don't worry. Smiley

EDIT: I had one transaction that took almost an hour to confirm, but most only took about 10 minutes.

Ahhhhh - I see! I SEE!

Thank you!

There are now 7 confirmations, so I assume at some point the system considers the entire transaction "confirmed" on its own.

And THIS is exactly why I started with small amounts - to get a feel for the system.

Wink
bitzenbits (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:02:09 AM

Ahhhhh - I see! I SEE!

Thank you!

There are now 7 confirmations, so I assume at some point the system considers the entire transaction "confirmed" on its own.

And THIS is exactly why I started with small amounts - to get a feel for the system.

Wink

Yes, its definitely a good idea to get comfortable with small amounts first.

You should be able to spend them after 1 confirmation, 6 is considered very high security so many sites use it too. Some companies accepting bitcoin allow payments to be accepted with no confirmations (bitpay amongst others) so are more or less instant payment and have never had a problem but if time allows its always better to wait for at least one.

Guess I need to read up more on confirmations. I've heard OF them and knew it's part of the process... but never quite got into why or how confirmations come into play.

Why would anyone want a client or wallet that has no confirmations? Or - well - I guess if I understand the confirmations better, I'll then understand why some people don't mind skipping that part.

Thanks for all the input!
zamolxes

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:42:55 AM

Does anyone know which is the safest and secure site to buy bitcoin with you credit card and then send them to your wallet? Thanks

Sorry, credit cards companies don't like Bitcoin. Bank transfer is one of the options, they depend a lot on the country though.

I'll try a trade site. Europe. Thanks for the quick answer.
CoderniX

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:27:37 AM

Your credit card can be attached to your Paypal or Skrill, which you can use in return to buy the coins, don't you think?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: