Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:45:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: transaction that took too long, RESOLVED, thanks to everyobody for the support.  (Read 5980 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 12:56:37 AM

so i should not use this adress anymore?
I would suggest not using it until it gets cleared up - that is for sure.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcfre@k (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:59:44 AM

so i should not use this adress anymore?

No you need to stop spending unconfirmed outputs.  The tx won't confirm until the unconfirmed outputs it use are confirmed.
ok..

bitcoinanalyzer.com and havingbitcoin.com for sale
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:00:32 AM

sorry man, tough way to learn

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
btcfre@k (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:01:12 AM

sadness..when someone will ask me "how i can see your legit" i used to proudly send my btc adress ..well that sucks

btcfre@k (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:02:16 AM

sorry man, tough way to learn

i guess it is.

oblongmeteor

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:02:40 AM

Your transactions:

https://blockchain.info/tx/b232a1dded76bed3c73bb5b04ac74ad9a052add559b65d881d9fa9ac5d55388c

Estimated Confirmation Time    7 hours (queue position 2047)

[...]

I've raised similar issues here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339802.0 - If my wallet says a fee is required, I don't sit there and think "hmm, should I include a larger fee?". I pay the 0.0001 BTC / kb as required. I don't pay more because I've nothing to benchmark the benefits against. In addition, this application of market forces is going to introduce greed and favoritism (already it is it seems) amongst miners. A race to the bottom as more miners ratchet up the cost of transacting Bitcoins. You can't easily choose a mining pool (that I'm aware of) to force your transaction through and if you could this would introduce a whole new set of problems (what if your chosen pool doesn't "strike it lucky for 20 blocks?").  

This is a real and immediate scalability concern for Bitcoin as a technology. The core dev's need to pull their fingers out and propose something otherwise confidence is going to start collapsing like a badly built house of cards...

Everyone benefits from Bitcoin apprecitiating in value as a function of its usability and ubiquity, these delays and the infighting over address reuse because of privacy concerns etc, serve only to weaken the technology and stunt its adoption.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:05:26 AM

This isn't a "I paid the default fee but it still wasn't enough for those greedy miners" issue.   Paying tx seem to be confirmed relatively quickly.  Comparing the memory pool to the new blocks miners seem to be including nearly all paying tx in each block.  Sometimes in peak volume there are too many but they quickly roll over to the next block.

No this instance is a difference sort of issue.  Some of OP tx have no fee and some have unconfirmed outputs using inputs.   Neither are going to be processed quickly.  The OP just has to wait.  

For those that want a painless experience I recommend setting your wallet to pay the min fee (0.1 mBTC per KB) on ALL txs even those which "can" be sent free.  It will ensure timely processing for a few pennies.  Had about 80+ tx in the last couple days.  Not a single one was delayed more than 1 block or so.

Still this an area which the clients can use some work.  The client should look at the # of unconfirmed tx (free and paying) and the recent block sizes to give users a better estimate.  If the client warns tx volume is high and not paying a fee may result in delayed processing potentially for hours or days and a user clicks [I am a cheap bastard send it anyways] well at least the user knows what to expect.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 01:08:19 AM

In this updated data (he did another transaction since my posting above, and I have shown the fees on each transaction):

https://blockchain.info/tx/b232a1dded76bed3c73bb5b04ac74ad9a052add559b65d881d9fa9ac5d55388c
NO FEE, Estimated Confirmation Time    7 hours (queue position 2047)

https://blockchain.info/tx/cb8a0828b5683112b343a9b6caf5078e58f01aa2083f1886db692ca147da6ea4
0.0002 FEE, Estimated Confirmation Time    22 hours (queue position 3896) AND spending an unconfirmed input

https://blockchain.info/tx/b1c20b947fb4b6c8104c206eb8818922c7efeff93c142157b4e2d399150ff7e7
0.0001 FEE, Estimated Confirmation Time    24 hours (queue position 3382) AND spending an unconfirmed input

https://blockchain.info/tx/c590fc8729bc11f92996a6d9089cbe090847a5167a69cbc0055e024af26e0de3
0.0001 FEE, Estimated Confirmation Time    26 hours (queue position 3405) AND spending an unconfirmed input

https://blockchain.info/tx/1a15d133a21436127d530308b5f2c133a9013b030481d957abfeb60a9f4b8d84
0.0001 FEE, Estimated Confirmation Time    31 hours (queue position 3423) AND spending an unconfirmed input

https://blockchain.info/tx/6d0a4e084a87c96218a374abddd7b8612583d21cab81a9a600fe9631bf9b73f0
0.0001 FEE, Estimated Confirmation Time    38 hours (queue position 4677) AND spending an unconfirmed input

The first transaction in this mess was sent with no fee so it keeps getting pushed out of the blocks - this was done by the wallet, blockchain.info.  The other transactions all depend on change from the one before them.  This is also the "fault" of the wallet so to speak as blockchain.info allows you to do this.  Note that all the subsequent transactions do have fees so once the first one goes through all the others should fall in pretty short order.  This should be brought up in the blockchain.info thread.

If the first transaction in this chain would have had a fee then we would not have this thread.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
btcfre@k (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:12:46 AM

the  main idea of bitcoin at the first was simplicity...and no speculation...funny times

oblongmeteor

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:14:55 AM

This isn't a I paid the default fee but it wasn't enough issue.   Paying tx seem to be confirmed relatively quickly.  

Some of OP tx have no fee and some have unconfirmed outputs using inputs.   Neither are going to be processed quickly.  The OP just has to wait.  I have my wallet set at default fee for all tx (even those which can be sent free). Had about 80+ tx in the last couple days.  Not a single one was delayed more than 1 block or so.

With respect, I think you're missing the point. In the scenario you've indicated the likely reason the transaction isn't confirming is because one input in the chain didn't include a fee. It likely didn't include a fee because it didn't need to include a fee as far as the client was concerned (age of inputs, size etc met the criterion required for inclusion). That one output has been used as an input in a subsequent transaction (I've experienced this myself, see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339709.0). As a consequence, even if child, grandchild etc transactions include a fee, they will not be processed until the 0 FEE ancestor input is confirmed. You can be waiting 24+ hours for this...

Users use Bitcoin - they don't dig into the API or form a raw transaction manually to ensure they don't spend unconfirmed outputs and they take the software at it's word (I'm talking stock Bitcoin Client here) when it doesn't force them to pay a fee.

It is a problem, maybe not for veterans like yourself, but for the average user it's a real usability issue. And I'd also add Miners are responsible for this situation. Greed is making them ignore transactions that don't include a fee and the whole network is suffering as a result. 
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:15:06 AM

the  main idea of bitcoin at the first was simplicity...and no speculation...funny times

Here is simplicity.  Pay the min fee (0.1 mBTC) on all tx, always.   I can't get any simpler than that. As far as no speculation.  Care to point to where Satoshi said that.   Humans have speculated on just about everything that has ever existed and was publicly traded.  Bitcoin isn't going to change human nature.
btcfre@k (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:17:36 AM

Here is simplicity.  Pay the min fee (0.1 mBTC) on all tx, always.   I can't get any simpler than that. As far as no speculation.  Care to point to where Satoshi said that.   Humans have speculated on just about everything that has ever existed and was publicly traded.  Bitcoin isn't going to change human nature.

i thought we agreed on the fact that i screwed up.i got the lessons brother.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:19:03 AM

This isn't a I paid the default fee but it wasn't enough issue.   Paying tx seem to be confirmed relatively quickly. 

Some of OP tx have no fee and some have unconfirmed outputs using inputs.   Neither are going to be processed quickly.  The OP just has to wait.  I have my wallet set at default fee for all tx (even those which can be sent free). Had about 80+ tx in the last couple days.  Not a single one was delayed more than 1 block or so.

With respect, I think you're missing the point. In the scenario you've indicated the likely reason the transaction isn't confirming is because one input in the chain didn't include a fee. It likely didn't include a fee because it didn't need to include a fee as far as the client was concerned (age of inputs, size etc met the criterion required for inclusion). That one output has been used as an input in a subsequent transaction (I've experienced this myself, see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339709.0). As a consequence, even if child, grandchild etc transactions include a fee, they will not be processed until the 0 FEE ancestor input is confirmed. You can be waiting 24+ hours for this...

Users use Bitcoin - they don't dig into the API or form a raw transaction manually to ensure they don't spend unconfirmed outputs and they take the software at it's word (I'm talking stock Bitcoin Client here) when it doesn't force them to pay a fee.

It is a problem, maybe not for veterans like yourself, but for the average user it's a real usability issue.

Agreed.  I would strongly recommend paying the min fee on ALL transactions.  Most wallets have the option to set a default fee.  Set it to 0.1 mBTC and be done with it.  Piuk indicated he will be improving blockchain wallet as the reality is tx volume is higher now and assumming a tx can get away with no fee just because it is high priority is no longer a good assumption.  It WAS a good assumption in the past but it needs to change.

Clients do need to get smarter.  I updated my post prior to seeing your response so we have some agreement on that.    Remember Bitcoin is in beta and it is an experiment.

As a practical peice of advice to anyone reading.

Set your client to pay the min fee (0.1 mBTC per KB) for all transactions.   Trying to send some free tx is bound to be a penny wise and pound foolish scenario.
btcfre@k (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:20:54 AM

i didnt find out how to set the fees automaticly deducted on blockchain

oblongmeteor

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:24:07 AM

Agreed.  I would strongly recommend paying the min fee on ALL transactions.  Most wallets have the option to set a default fee.  Set it to 0.1 mBTC and be done with it.  Piuk indicated he will be improving blockchain wallet as the reality is tx volume is higher now and assumming a tx can get away with no fee just because it is high priority is no longer a good assumption.  It WAS a good assumption in the past but it needs to change.

Clients do need to get smarter.  I updated my post prior to seeing your response so we have some agreement on that.    Remember Bitcoin is in beta and it is an experiment.

As a practical peice of advice to anyone reading.

Set your client to pay the min fee (0.1 mBTC per KB) for all transactions.   Trying to send some free tx is bound to be a penny wise and pound foolish scenario.

...this leads to another problem though. Cost. I'll quote: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339802.0:

"according to CoinMill - the cost of 1 BTC is currently 641.84 USD and a transaction fee of 0.0001 BTC is 0.06 USD (6 cents). 0.0005 (the old fee) is 30 cents. As Bitcoin appreciates (if it does), the cost of transactions relative to the value of a Bitcoin grows substantially.

This makes it pretty uneconomical for any merchant to engage in using Bitcoin as a currency as A) they'll be waiting ages for their transaction to confirm if the user incorrectly attaches an 'unacceptable' fee and B) the cost of moving BTC is likely to rapidly meet or exceed that of preexisting payment methods such as ACH, Debit and eventually Credit cards... and in the case of the latter two it doesn't generally take 24-48 hours to even acknowledge your transaction exists."

Miners want to have their cake and eat it. They want the reward from mining a block as well as only cherry picking the transactions that add additional gravy. This doesn't work for a payment network. If you want to move value around, there needs to be some reasonable expectation that the process will complete in a timely manner without a risk of significant delays. You can't "add a bit on" if you mess up and anyone downstream who includes your unconfirmed output is going to screw their transaction confirmation times over...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:29:00 AM

Wallet Home > Account Settings > General > Default Fee Policy
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:30:00 AM

There is the following choice:

Generous - Fees will be set to ensure transactions are high priority (0.001 BTC Base Fee).

But this will be $0.60 per transaction.

So I suggest that during the review of the transaction before you send it make sure it has the 0.0001 BTC fee for now.

As others have stated a fix to this issue may be in the works.

Some needs to have piuk update that 1 mBTC is just stupid.  The default was dropped to 0.1 mBTC a while ago.  Not having an option for 0.1 mBTC for all tx is just a bad bad oversight.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 01:30:38 AM

Just looked and there is only the following choice (for always sending a fee):

Generous - Fees will be set to ensure transactions are high priority (0.001 BTC Base Fee).

But this will be $0.60 per transaction.

So I suggest that during the review of the transaction before you send it make sure it has the 0.0001 BTC fee for now.

As others have stated a fix to this issue may be in the works.

btcfre@k (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:32:17 AM

oh thanks man,i put generous fees..i really dont care about fees ,i know i messed up but it wasnt my intention..to busy processing orders..thats all..i put generous fees.now i learned my lesson..pain in the ass.but i learned

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:35:19 AM

merchants eventually should be off-chain, btc eventually will only be for large amount transfer replacing bank wiring etc. If I have it right, the current number of tx that btc can handle is 7 tx pec sec, coffee purchase transaction pry shouldn't be on the precious blockchain space.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: