Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:42:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question:  How did you perceive todays hearing?
Positive - 61 (63.5%)
Neutral - 15 (15.6%)
Negative - 10 (10.4%)
Irrelevant (aka same old^2) - 10 (10.4%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] US Senate hearing reception (part II)  (Read 2086 times)
pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:27:21 AM

I didn't have the opportunity to watch this second hearing yet, but I would like to know your opinion.

Yesterday the results of the poll were:
Positive    - 38 (92.7%)
Neutral    - 2 (4.9%)
Negative    - 1 (2.4%)
Irrelevant (aka same old^2)    - 0 (0%)

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:32:33 AM

lol wtf is this!?

why they always use the same keywords... fucking assholes

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
ScrapOfCat

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:33:00 AM

And the reason for my vote, most of the stuff seemed positive to me, but i'm very disturbed by how determined they are that people shouldn't be able to "hide" their money.  As though how much money you have is just automatically their business. (I realize this is legally true, and I'm not particularly happy about that either  Sad )

Squander electricity on piffle: 1CLQajy22Z2n9YjZurFfPaKApcqsQa8BzK
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:36:17 AM

It was generally positive to neutral. It was more boring as some of it was repeats and there weren't as many zingers in support of bitcoins innovation. The Senators were more informed than the damn witnesses half the time. And the dumb lawyer was on a war against Bitcoin and trying to pump Ripple, she spewed false information and wasn't properly told off either, so she brought things down a bit. Overall there was still emphasis on innovations and the general fact that virtual currencies are to be part of the future.
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:00:26 AM

wow the first part of the hearing is pretty bad, still watching it, why do you think this was positive?  Huh

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:56:26 AM

wow the first part of the hearing is pretty bad, still watching it, why do you think this was positive?  Huh

No strong regulations incoming! One senator even said "maybe we should just leave it alone". Only dreamer believe that all politicians in charge would just enumerate positive facts about virtual currencies...

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:57:53 AM

Where can I get a recording for part 1? I only got a chance to watch part 2.

wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:58:43 AM

No strong regulations incoming! One senator even said "maybe we should just leave it alone". Only dreamer believe that all politicians in charge would just enumerate positive facts about virtual currencies...

Too good to be true. My paranoia says they have some hidden agenda.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:14:22 AM

How so? The Senator starts off comparing Bitcoin to cell phones in the 80s and how innovation is important. Experts might not understand it and all that but people doing it realize how important it is. Bam 15 years later the whole world is changed. The Senators themselves... aside from the "Bitcoin is Terrorism" idiot senator were pretty well informed and interested in the future. Also... they all kind of talk like this stuff is here to stay.
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:31:59 AM

Too good to be true. My paranoia says they have some hidden agenda.

I am a libertarian. I don't like the state. But I am not a maniac like Molyneux. Politicians are normal people. Some of them want more state some of them less. It's not like every senator is a marionette of the big banks which don't like bitcoin (I even would go so far, that not eben the last half sentence is absolute).

But I expected worse 6 months ago.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 04:57:15 AM

The US Government doesn't miss business opportunities.
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:59:12 AM

really? because they still didn't legalized marijuana  Wink

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
the_sunship

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:06:29 AM

really? because they still didn't legalized marijuana  Wink

that's coming soon enough. In a few years you'll be able to get an 1/8th of sour diesel at walmart with your bitcredit card.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:19:04 AM

They said they currently won't regulate. My guess is they are hoping Bitcoin will fizzle out, because currently the buyer has little protection against fraud. Which will hinder adoption.

TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:54:36 AM

They said they currently won't regulate. My guess is they are hoping Bitcoin will fizzle out, because currently the buyer has little protection against fraud. Which will hinder adoption.

What ever was wrong with people taking responsibility for their actions? If you want to shop at a site, you should check their reputation first.

I do not agree the buyer has little protection against fraud. Please elaborate.
F-bernanke

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:10:33 AM

What ever was wrong with people taking responsibility for their actions? If you want to shop at a site, you should check their reputation first.

+1

All that "buyer protection" also has massive costs attached to it.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 06:16:06 AM

i just have 1 question about the hearing, who was that Chinese girl in the back? ... seriously who? just a random bitchick?

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 06:42:07 AM

i just have 1 question about the hearing, who was that Chinese girl in the back? ... seriously who? just a random bitchick?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jinyoung-lee-englund/31/b39/35b

She is the Director of Public Affairs of our very own Bitcoin Foundation <3
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:57:02 AM

Well I've spoke to a friends (non technical ones) about Bitcoin, and the question that always pops up is "Who do I turn to if I'm purchasing an item and something goes wrong?"

With a normal non-reversable Bitcoin transaction, this is a problem.

Protection is expensive, but if we want Bitcoin to go mainstream, average Joe users will demand consumer protection, which could be done with escrow and multi-sig.

mrjeff

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:15:10 AM

Well I've spoke to a friends (non technical ones) about Bitcoin, and the question that always pops up is "Who do I turn to if I'm purchasing an item and something goes wrong?"

With a normal non-reversable Bitcoin transaction, this is a problem.

Protection is expensive, but if we want Bitcoin to go mainstream, average Joe users will demand consumer protection....

I always here this and all I can think of is what do people do now if they're paying with cash?  What's the difference between bitcoin and cash?  There are very few places where I use a credit card to protect myself and it's usually for accidental damage protection or something similar.  If I don't trust a company to refund me if something go's wrong, then I'll probably just find a better company to buy from..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: