Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:54:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unconfirmed Transactions  (Read 876 times)
piecinitup (OP)

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:31:56 AM

So I had some BTC in an online wallet and decided to send some to BTC-E to trade with.  I first sent .07 BTC and unknowingly sent it without a fee.  I've read that this could take days and may just get canceled?  Will it ever confirm?  Anyway, I wanted some coin in there so I sent another transaction of .5 to the same address with a .001 fee thinking it would be confirmed faster.   4 hours later and both still sit in the blockchain with 0 confirmations.  What did I do wrong on the second transaction and what can I do, if anything?

https://1broker.com/?r=34050  1broker is the easiest way to trade other markets than crypto using BTC!  Copy successful traders or just trade yourself!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
realestone
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:55:00 AM

i sent btc for an item 7 hours ago with fee and im still waiting so im in the same boat
DualSignal

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:14:02 AM

Read the FAQ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232979.0
Yogafan00000

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:10:27 PM

So I had some BTC in an online wallet and decided to send some to BTC-E to trade with.  I first sent .07 BTC and unknowingly sent it without a fee.  I've read that this could take days and may just get canceled?  Will it ever confirm?  Anyway, I wanted some coin in there so I sent another transaction of .5 to the same address with a .001 fee thinking it would be confirmed faster.   4 hours later and both still sit in the blockchain with 0 confirmations.  What did I do wrong on the second transaction and what can I do, if anything?

If you send a transaction from an address with a low fee, you run the risk of locking up the entire balance on that address until you get confirmations on that first transaction.

This is due to the way Bitcoin transactions work.  When you send a BTC amount, what actually happens is the BTC is send to the target and balance remaining is sent to a "change" address.  The change address might be your original address, or some new address: it depends on the wallet software.  In order for the rest of the coins to become available for spending, the change address transaction also has to have confirmations on the network.

You can check if this is your situation by entering the transaction id of your 2nd transaction in blockchain.info.  You will get a black triangle beside the Estimated Confirmation Time that says "This transaction spends an input which is unconfirmed."

1YogAFA... (oh, nevermind)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: