Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:03:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 21M BTC might be enough for everyone  (Read 1695 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:51:13 AM

I don't know if this was discussed but I am not joking. With the current 10 minutes or so waiting time, blockchain size increasing, there's no way bitcoin will be use for microtransactions (although the crowd decided how much money sends and for what purpose).

What if bitcoin will be a niche, serving cryptogeeks, nerds, libertarians and maybe some "speculators". We could see a critical mass achieved soon, maybe even this year with all the media hype, US senate debate etc. Once critical mass is there, price will flat-line. Won't matter who gets in and out, it will be some kind of equilibrium. Not all people would want bitcoin or know what to do with it.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:52:35 AM

You're using the term critical mass wrong, but it's an interesting notion that I too am thinking about, that there just aren't that many more people who are going to use Bitcoin. I mean, how many people hold gold?
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:55:51 AM

You're using the term critical mass wrong, but it's an interesting notion that I too am thinking about, that there just aren't that many more people who are going to use Bitcoin. I mean, how many people hold gold?

Exactly. How many do hold gold? Or silver.
PS: Why am i using critical mass wrong?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:58:16 AM

Critical mass would be the point in an s-curve where things go parabolic, no? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_%28sociodynamics%29
msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:59:24 AM

I mean, how many people hold gold?
Enough that if 1 to 5% of that money moved to BTC, we'd be very happy.  I believe the numbers have been posted here somewhere.
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:01:40 AM

Yes, this hasn't much to do with price. Wealth is very concentrated.
revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:02:39 AM

I don't know if this was discussed but I am not joking. With the current 10 minutes or so waiting time, blockchain size increasing, there's no way bitcoin will be use for microtransactions (although the crowd decided how much money sends and for what purpose).

What if bitcoin will be a niche, serving cryptogeeks, nerds, libertarians and maybe some "speculators". We could see a critical mass achieved soon, maybe even this year with all the media hype, US senate debate etc. Once critical mass is there, price will flat-line. Won't matter who gets in and out, it will be some kind of equilibrium. Not all people would want bitcoin or know what to do with it.

Were you ever daft enough to think otherwise? Seriously, what exactly is the Bitcoin proposition to the wider public?

'Please use this currency which we created a few years ago and exchange goods and services with us based on the valuation our small community of libertarian zealots have attributed to it.'
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:03:48 AM

Exactly. How many do hold gold? Or silver.
PS: Why am i using critical mass wrong?

The question rather might be: who isn't holding gold or silver? I mean, who has no coin at home which consists of gold?
"Indian households hold over $950 billion of gold"
-> a 950 trillion market would be 50 000$ per Bitcoin.
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-12-05/news/30474783_1_gold-imports-tonnage-terms-gold-demand

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:06:24 AM

I mean, how many people hold gold?
Enough that if 1 to 5% of that money moved to BTC, we'd be very happy.  I believe the numbers have been posted here somewhere.

Winklevoss said something like if BTC matched Gold's market cap each coin would be worth $400,000

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:52:11 AM

Bitcoin for larger payments where you don't need it to be instant or even quick.

Alt-coins for faster payments.

If bitcoin gets real big, and goes 1 or 2 orders of magnitude higher, there'll be enough room for many alt-coins too, a lot of the capital will pour into them (of course not as much as into bitcoin but still enough), so micro-payments won't be an issue.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:55:47 AM

Bitcoin for larger payments where you don't need it to be instant or even quick.

If bitcoin gets real big, and goes 1 or 2 orders of magnitude higher, there'll be enough room for many alt-coins too, a lot of the capital will pour into them (of course not as much as into bitcoin but still enough), so micro-payments won't be an issue.

good point. it would  catapult LTC most likely.  i am smacking myself on the head for not buying $100 worth of LTC for 6 cents each.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:05:44 AM

What's wrong with using off-chain transactions for those microtransactions? And there are other solutions as well to handle microtransactions, so I really don't think this will stop bitcoin from becoming more than a niche thing for nerds.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
laowai80

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:13:49 AM

good point. it would  catapult LTC most likely.  i am smacking myself on the head for not buying $100 worth of LTC for 6 cents each.

You're not late to buy, it's all relative. My expectation is LTC can go to 1/10th of BTC some day, with that in mind, LTC is still dirt cheap relative to BTC. Now, of course BTC could go to $0.10 and LTC to $0.01 and that would hit the expected price target, but I hope for higher levels of estimation of course Smiley
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:17:30 AM

Bitcoin micropayment channels: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244656.0
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:23:19 AM

You're not late to buy, it's all relative. My expectation is LTC can go to 1/10th of BTC some day, with that in mind, LTC is still dirt cheap relative to BTC. Now, of course BTC could go to $0.10 and LTC to $0.01 and that would hit the expected price target, but I hope for higher levels of estimation of course Smiley

BTC will never even see under 100$ again. If it ever does, it really means it failed.
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:59:28 AM

I think everybody who ignored smoothies litecoin ranting back in the day is doing the same thing.
laowai80

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:30:13 PM

BTC will never even see under 100$ again. If it ever does, it really means it failed.

I'll have to agree with this.
If BTC ever sees its price at $100, that'll be on its way to zero.
I just had to include that possibility to stay unbiased on my LTC-would-be-1/10th-of-BTC price target, no matter what the USD price is.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

Were you ever daft enough to think otherwise? Seriously, what exactly is the Bitcoin proposition to the wider public?

'Please use this currency which we created a few years ago and exchange goods and services with us based on the valuation our small community of libertarian zealots have attributed to it.'

Did you buy back yet? Please do so, quickly, because your constant bitching about the impeding failure of all things bitcoin is getting grating, you know.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: