Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:18:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We were wrong  (Read 4806 times)
00null (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:56:42 AM

Everyone always thought that the US government and regulators are the enemies of Bitcoin. The senate hearing clearly showed that this is not the case. Almost everyone defended and sometimes even praised Bitcoin.

However, one entity definitely acted as an enemy at this hearing. The lawyer hired by Ripple.

Is Ripple the new Dwolla? Trying to grow big on Bitcoin and then in the end hating Bitcoin when they finally realize how irrelevant they are themself Cheesy

wmcleod

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:57:57 AM

there's always going to be antagonists in big money games.
i honestly don't even know what a ripple is and they've been around for how long now?  i say "meh" to ripple lawyers.
lindatess

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:21:09 AM

There were no enemies of bitcoin.

The real enemies are us here in forum, we the people collectively are the enemies of bitcoin.

We drive the price up and crash it back down. No one else can do it except the market.

We scare away the newbies, we make excuses to why the blockchain is not confirming, we don't provide solutions or a calculator to compute transaction fees, and much much much more.

In return they (savvy investors, mums and dads, and elitists) will punish "we the people" by ignoring bitcoins and then the value will plunge to zero.

The governments don't even need to regulate it, we will destroy bitcoin ourselves.

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:32:01 AM

To come away from yesterday`s hearing with the conclusion that the US government approves of bitcoin is a bit naive, I`ve gotta say. It`s nothing but a tiny blip on their radar right now. If bitcoin actually does catch on and spread outside the small circle of crypto geeks and libertarians, trust me, they will start to care. And they`re not going to have good things to say anymore. They will find a way to tax it, regulate it, or bring it down. That`s what they do.

How`s the online poker scene doing these days? Oh, that`s right, the government essentially shut it down by seizing the bank accounts of all the popular sites, in the name of *money laundering*. Hmm, wonder if bitcoin could be used for money laundering...  Wink

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Gorgoy

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:38:12 AM

To come away from yesterday`s hearing with the conclusion that the US government approves of bitcoin is a bit naive, I`ve gotta say. It`s nothing but a tiny blip on their radar right now. If bitcoin actually does catch on and spread outside the small circle of crypto geeks and libertarians, trust me, they will start to care. And they`re not going to have good things to say anymore. They will find a way to tax it, regulate it, or bring it down. That`s what they do.

How`s the online poker scene doing these days? Oh, that`s right, the government essentially shut it down by seizing the bank accounts of all the popular sites, in the name of *money laundering*. Hmm, wonder if bitcoin could be used for money laundering...  Wink

I absolutely agree, bitcoin is very small right now for the US government. When it does grow the government will change its tune. We are still only at the beginning of this and there is a huge amount of development that still has to take place and that needs to progress to make it easier for everyday people.

The future is exciting!!!

Ɏ : YEojPD2QxFVaSUypTLYhwJgmVekqoAtdE3
฿ : 1946hwLbBdLNSA1FFUY3ZvRx6j6dqvbzcE
Ł : LczTrStBZ8b1Y4DJU59CjtYRtjKufbTXPE
Ғ : 6i4S4BfHfC9LLmTBhjYDVKe7g8XfPz9uj8
Ψ : AGpoWwc6N59PPqKbzRTAiFG5WmDEQU7Ydp
ζ : ZLYFK2KNrFDDGVbEJPKnTdWuGk3iA3CNY2
G : GQbjHcGPgUwRBKZcdoMCpuf24QSXY5t5bf
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:44:51 AM

Re: We were wrong

Hey don't include me in the "we".

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:47:37 AM

"When it does grow the government will change its tune."

And hopefully by then, enough people have taken notice that they won't be able to stop us!  Smiley
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:50:14 AM

Re: We were wrong

Hey don't include me in the "we".
"I was right, everyone else was wrong"
Arksun

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:16:37 AM

I absolutely agree, bitcoin is very small right now for the US government. When it does grow the government will change its tune. We are still only at the beginning of this and there is a huge amount of development that still has to take place and that needs to progress to make it easier for everyday people.

Time will tell. Over here of course online gambling is legal (UK). I think the uk stance at the moment on Bitcoin is that it is a classed as a voucher......yeah....confused me as well.

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 05:17:10 AM

Everyone always thought that the US government and regulators are the enemies of Bitcoin. The senate hearing clearly showed that this is not the case. Almost everyone defended and sometimes even praised Bitcoin.

However, one entity definitely acted as an enemy at this hearing. The lawyer hired by Ripple.

Is Ripple the new Dwolla? Trying to grow big on Bitcoin and then in the end hating Bitcoin when they finally realize how irrelevant they are themself Cheesy

Right.

The most dangerous sentence on the planet:

"Hi!  I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!"

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 06:33:46 AM

Care to compare the market caps between Bitcoin and all the various online poker sites combined?
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:08:47 AM

Anyone notice the giant PR campaign going on right now and all the "rah rah government good"

It's like every Hollywood movie got it right =P The Pinkertons come in right after some successful anti-fear pr stunt and pump the government.

SR gets bagged as a trophy and then the Senate meets on Bitcoin and now youngish accounts are singing praise and halleluah.

/tinfoil hat
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:15:23 AM

My take on the whole thing is that they are still in a period of simply trying to understand what digital currencies are and what it means for them. The lack of regulation thus far is only a testament to the simple fact that cryptocurrencies cannot be easily regulated at all. Many of them had no easy answer to the tough questions, and probably never will.

And as was made a very sharp point, attempting to regulate Bitcoin in the world stage might mean America gets excluded from the party as businesses simply move out of the US entirely to countries that favor or at least don't regulate digital currencies. They must consider this, as noted being the country that favors heavy regulation and red tape will find itself left behind. In many ways the US is already.

The powerful tend to want to remain powerful, as has been through all of history. Bitcoin is not yet a real threat to major banks and government financial institutions, so while they attempt to understand Bitcoin they are only postponing further action in place of a watchful eye, for now. All we can do in the face of that is keep on making Bitcoin bigger and badder, and we will face the challenges to come.

scribe

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:39:16 AM

And as was made a very sharp point, attempting to regulate Bitcoin in the world stage might mean America gets excluded from the party as businesses simply move out of the US entirely to countries that favor or at least don't regulate digital currencies. They must consider this, as noted being the country that favors heavy regulation and red tape will find itself left behind. In many ways the US is already.

This totally. How different nations are responding to Bitcoin is significant. Bittorrent was captured (marketing wise) and demonised pretty quickly by RIAA etc. Bitcoin on the other hand is now seeing much more backing from chief finance people. The difference is that Bitcoin offers the opportunity to earn a quick buck.

In a time of no-growth, any easy money doesn't get turned down quickly. But you can bet that governments are all developing their own Bitcoin kill-switch(es) as well. Just in case.

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
ixne

Activity: 211

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:21:21 PM

My take on the whole thing is that they are still in a period of simply trying to understand what digital currencies are and what it means for them. The lack of regulation thus far is only a testament to the simple fact that cryptocurrencies cannot be easily regulated at all. Many of them had no easy answer to the tough questions, and probably never will.

This. The government had to come out sounding positive about bitcoin, because the alternative is to reveal how impotent they are to do anything about it. To repurpose a famous quote: better to watch and be thought powerless than to act and remove all doubt.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:33:38 PM

Everyone always thought that the US government and regulators are the enemies of Bitcoin. The senate hearing clearly showed that this is not the case.

U do believe politicians? What about Santa Claus?
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:43:19 PM

You were wrong.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 12:45:47 PM

There were no enemies of bitcoin.

The real enemies are us here in forum, we the people collectively are the enemies of bitcoin.

We drive the price up and crash it back down. No one else can do it except the market.

We scare away the newbies, we make excuses to why the blockchain is not confirming, we don't provide solutions or a calculator to compute transaction fees, and much much much more.

In return they (savvy investors, mums and dads, and elitists) will punish "we the people" by ignoring bitcoins and then the value will plunge to zero.

The governments don't even need to regulate it, we will destroy bitcoin ourselves.

Don't forget we hack the forum and take it offline for days on end.  Tongue
NedKLee

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:47:57 PM

Seems to me the "Online Poker Scene" is as good if not Better than before Black Friday, there's a whole generation of players who don't even remember what it was like when the Americans were still allowed to participate.

How ironic that in the home of Poker a man can't come home after a day's work, sit at a PC and play an online 6 max, a 180 seat tourney or a 1/2 NLHE, this is all for your benefit of course you moron, heaven forbid you might just want to unwind and have a bit of fun.

The lesson for Bitcoiners is simple, sooner or later the American Govt. Will make Bitcoin immoral, illegal or just plain unAmerican and ban the use of the afore mentioned Bitcoin.

Rest assured the rest of the world will function just as well as before once the dust settles, for a while there will be a vacuum there, but you know how nature abhors a vacuum.

Once again it will be so sad to see the people who, like poker, did the most to promote Bitcoin, be left standing on the side of the road whilst the Bitcoin Bus races on into the future.
SeanArce

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:03:20 PM

People are forgetting what currency is actually is

www.onefamous.org
https://soundcloud.com/naer-sri
15ZmN3d7WZDo4WbZwPFJMZcPMBDUkueGH7 - my  btc address
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: