Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 11:30:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with wallet retrieval  (Read 423 times)
tommyh (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:09:56 AM

Hi all, I got into bitcoin back when it was pretty cheap to buy a coin, and have mostly forgotten about bitcoin for over a year now.

So now that there has been all of this commotion about the price rise and all, I realize that I have a small fortune sitting on the hard drive of my beat-up old lap top, and I can't figure out how to get my coins off of my old computer.

Here are the details:

My old computer runs linux 11.01 and my wallet is bitcoin qt 0.6.2. It will no longer connect to the internet, so I can't download the whole blockchain on to that computer.

What is the best way to secure these coins? I've been googling about finding wallet.dat files and finding private keys and such, but I am not savvy enough to figure it out. Any suggestions from the gurus?

Thanks
-T
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4522

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:12:48 AM

find that wallet.dat and treat it like the nuclear launch codes and your passport on holiday and your daughters virginity

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
BlackShadow

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:06:07 AM

Hi Tommy as I don't know too much about it myself I found a thread which may be useful too you

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0;all

If you end up finding out your a millionare a bitcoin or two would be nice Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: