Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:34:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: have bitmain come up with a PoW algorithm change resistant ASIC?  (Read 198 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 11:47:53 PM

https://blog.bitmex.com/nextstageinmining/

i'll confess that i don't know enough about mining to fully understand the implications of this, but at heart it looks like bitmain have come up with a miner that's more efficient than a GPU, less than a flat out ASIC, but also potentially can't be bricked by a PoW change such as Monero's recent one.

what do the people on here who know more than me think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 12:04:41 AM

We don't have to worry about this
People only care about money, they will buy anything from anyone if it's profitable

So let people destroy cryptos ASAP

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 02:34:40 AM

If you believe the rumor that Bitmain's Sophon chip can be used to mine ethereum, then I think you have your answer.  They've had their AI products out for a while now and why not make a miner based on silicon you already taped out?

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 02:48:57 AM

This isn't in any way a helpful comment or healthy attitude at all. I understand you might be frustrated about ASICs and mining but moaning will get us all nowhere.

----

Looking at the referenced article i don't see any indication that they have an ASIC that "can't be bricked by PoW changes." Am i missing something?

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 03:49:32 AM

This isn't in any way a helpful comment or healthy attitude at all. I understand you might be frustrated about ASICs and mining but moaning will get us all nowhere.

----

Looking at the referenced article i don't see any indication that they have an ASIC that "can't be bricked by PoW changes." Am i missing something?

No you aren't missing anything.  That article is all over the place and is nothing more than the author waffling on and finally coming to the conclusion that the results are inconclusive.  You can tell he has no idea what he's talking about when he uses terms like "general-purpose hashing chip."  Those already exist, they are called GPUs and they also are hard-fork resistant.  Bitmain getting into AI and deep learning makes complete sense, and they are doing it for the same reason Nvidia is:  That is where the money is.  ASIC miners and gaming cards are chump change compared to the market for deep learning hardware.
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 04:04:34 AM

..... but also potentially can't be bricked by a PoW change such as Monero's recent one.

what do the people on here who know more than me think?

That was on the developer's sides, and only Dev with various consideration may do it, nor people power can affect Dev decision.

Overreacted to this ASICs issue/fact is worthless. Why don't you give your focus to what you can full control over it?

e.g.
I like this, Ignoring what you can't control, do what you have control over it.

We will soon be seeing (by several individuals) the release of free bitstreams to build DIY-FPGA mining rigs with higher hash rates than GPU's, but the GPU's will still be viable.  Monero has the right idea, to fork away from ASIC's, although they can never fork away from FPGA's since FPGA's can be rapidly modified in software just like GPU's.  The FPGA's (once widely adopted) make ASIC development less profitable.  Since ASIC's have a 100x advantage over GPU's and only a 1.5 to 7x advantage over FPGA's, if a coin's hash rate is owned by DIY-FPGA miners, the profit from making an ASIC will be sketchy.  That, combined with coin owners constantly forking their algorithms away from ASIC's, is one method.

There is a better method that I will be pushing for at the same time that I release my own FPGA bitstreams, and that is for all coins to adopt dynamically changing algorithms like Timetravel10, X16R, X16S, X11Evo.  These can be mined by FPGA's and GPU's, but no ASIC can ever beat an FPGA on those algorithms, making them the only real 'ASIC-Proof' algorithms invented thus far.  The technical details of why that is the case are complicated.

If coins adopted those algorithms, they would never have to go through the trouble of 'forking' since no ASIC can beat a DIY-FPGA on those algorithms anyway.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: