Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:05:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining infrastructure? (monitoring, bitcoind client and so on?)  (Read 6306 times)
Fractality (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2011, 09:52:31 PM

So I got poclbm running on Ubuntu, and might already have generated the first block (there was an "accepted" message, but there does not seem to be anything in my account yet).

Now I wonder how to best monitor that mining PC, which will hopefully end up in some cellar soon. So I need remote supervision.

Are there already solutions for getting nice charts of GPU temperature and hash rates? What happens if a fan fails - will the system just stop, or will it start burning?

Since the PC runs bitcoind, what is a convenient way to query it's status. Are there nice clients for bitcoind already? I only made some basic queries with curl now, to check the account balance.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 01:26:38 AM

So I got poclbm running on Ubuntu, and might already have generated the first block (there was an "accepted" message, but there does not seem to be anything in my account yet).

Now I wonder how to best monitor that mining PC, which will hopefully end up in some cellar soon. So I need remote supervision.

Are there already solutions for getting nice charts of GPU temperature and hash rates? What happens if a fan fails - will the system just stop, or will it start burning?

Since the PC runs bitcoind, what is a convenient way to query it's status. Are there nice clients for bitcoind already? I only made some basic queries with curl now, to check the account balance.

Has anyone looked into it yet? Sounds like something very useful (for me anyway).
Fractality (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 11:50:17 AM

I think RDDTools is the standard for this kind of thing? I plan to toy around with it today, creating charts of fan speed, GPU temperature and hash rates.

I guess in the worst case I'll mod poclbm to "log" to rdd, but I would prefer it if I could use a "clean" poclbm from github. Otherwise I have to repeat the modifications every time there is a new version of poclbm.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 11:00:28 PM

I run this bash script ("status.sh") every 15 minutes via cron to obtain and forward the status of my miners:

Code:
date > status.out
cat /home/user/temps.out >> status.out
ps -e | grep bitc >> status.out
ps -e | grep pocl >> status.out
ps -e | grep minerd >> status.out
cat /home/user/.bitcoin/debug.log | grep generated >> status.out
/home/user/bitcoind getinfo | grep -iE "(balance|connections)" | sed 's/[",]//g' >> status.out
scp status.out user@wwwhost.com:/home/user/status101.out

This provides a date stamp, shows me that all of the relevant processes are running, whether or not I have generated a block, if I have received payment for confirmed blocks and how many connections I have.  Since you cannot obtain the GPU temperatures using aticonfig unless you are executing from an X11 session, I use the following bash script ("temps.sh") which I start in an X11 terminal window:

Code:
while true
do
  /usr/bin/aticonfig --odgt --adapter=all | grep Temp > temps.out
  sleep 900
done

This link has instructions on how to set up ssh (scp) using shared keys:
http://hocuspokus.net/2008/01/ssh-shared-key-setup-ssh-logins-without-passwords/

Each miner copies its status.out file to a separate status file on the "wwwhost.com" machine (see scp command above).  Then the wwwhost.com machine has a cron job which runs five minutes later and parses all the statusXXX.out files into a web page.  There are probably more elegant ways to accomplish this, but I have mine set up this way because the miners are behind a firewall, and I use an external machine to serve a web-accessible status page.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 11:57:06 PM

I do have a fork of the DiabloMiner to add hashrate via a JMX interface, I'm using it myself with munin. Feel free to take a look https://github.com/cdecker/DiabloMiner/tree/JMX

I will add more statistics Cheesy

Edit: this is a sample from one of my machines

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Fractality (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 01:17:31 PM

Thanks! Any advice on how to run a script from an X11 terminal window? I seem to be stuck with trying to get poclbm to autostart, or at least starting it remotely. If I just switch on the computer (so that it boots to the login screen) and then ssh into it, there does not seem to be a running x server (my guess). In any case poclbm doesn't detect the graphics cards. As soon as I log in on the mining PC directly, it suddenly also works in the shell.

I am in over my head with this X11 stuff, no idea how it works... I've tried to execute things like startx in the ssh shell, but then it says x server is already running. On the other hand aticonfig says x server is not running. Confusing...
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 02:37:00 PM

Well an X display usually starts without any interaction, but to use it you'll have to enable autologin.

Then in the SSH session you want to run the command in you have to specify the display you want to talk to by setting the DISPLAY variable.

There are two ways to do so:
Code:
$ DISPLAY=:0 yourcommand
$ export DISPLAY=:0
The first will apply it only to yourcommand, while the second will save it into the shells environment variables, so it applies to all following commands.
Also you have to know which display you want to talk to:
  • DISPLAY=:x.y will use the device y controlled by driver x
  • DISPLAY=:0 is a shortcut used by ATI to indicate all devices under the fglrx driver

HTH,
cdecker

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
M4v3R

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 06:16:41 AM

Since you cannot obtain the GPU temperatures using aticonfig unless you are executing from an X11 session, I use the following bash script ("temps.sh") which I start in an X11 terminal window:

I believe that is not true. It works for me when I log in to my machine via SSH:

(monitor-temp.sh is just a shortcut for "aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature")
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: