Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:10:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Bitfury USB miners to work  (Read 3946 times)
Ragdollcatman (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:10:53 PM

Hi all.

Would appreciate some help as I am still stuck in the newbie section so can't ask in the appropriate place (which is actually very annoying)

So far the bitfury usb miners I've ordered have been completely rubbish.

After installing the mediafire bfgminer download to get the BF1.ini file, a Virtual COM port driver and a WCA driver (which stopped the mining pc crashing every day between 6am and 8am for some reason) I just cannot get these USB asic miners to work.

I've had 2 Blue fury usb miners (with the black heatsinks) which have both had to go back.  Windows (after the above) can see the BFL 1 sticks but neither Bitminter or BFGMiner sees them.  I had 1 work for a few days but then it got listed as sick, dropped down to below the speed of the Block Erupters and then died.

I've had 2 Red Fury usb sticks arrive today and same problem, Windows sees them but neither Bitminter or BFGMiner can use them.

With Bitminter they just time out when probed and BFGMiner can't find them when you press M / + / all

Is there something else I need to do? I've tried them in both a 4 amp powered 10 port hub and directly into both the case front panel usb 2 ports, the motherboard I/O usb 2 ports and in a pci usb 2 expansion card.

As far as I can see these things are, simply, not worth the money.  If I can't get them to work then I'm going to have to give up with bitcoin mining because I can't afford to buy the Jalapeno units, Blades and other units.

So if anyone has more knowledge of how to make these annoying little miners work I'd really appreciate it because I'd like to actually get some hashing done.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:25:15 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2013, 12:38:19 PM by Gator-hex

I dont know what make your using but HEX miner Bitfury boards have to run a proxy program to work in windows.

Hexminer Tutorial
http://youtu.be/l9SgoVm16Sw?t=4m6s

Make sure your really have USB 2 ports, and if using a USB hub, that it's a powered one.

Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:29:28 PM

As far as I am aware they are the Bitfury boards.

Maybe if the manufacturers were more open rather than hiding on sites like here and actually had proper websites and proper drivers etc their products might work better.

These are the ones I've had to return to one seller:

http://www.buyahash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/BlueFury_Front.jpg

And these are the ones I'm having the same problems with now:

http://www.holyscott.com/auctions/EbayPhotos/RedFury3.jpg
RW02

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:34:33 PM

if you really stuggle it might be worth asking to see if someone can host them and give you remote acess to the devices

1. most motherboards will NOT send 500ma (the required amount) to the front USB ports
2. uninstall everything youve done BFGminer uses them as com ports like Bitminter so they should install from windows if they dont you need the
www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
3. use the latest BFGminer https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168174.0
or bitminter client
4. everything should work

tips
1.make sure the HUB has enough power start with 1 miner and get it working before adding more
2. if you can use a Dedicated port on the back of the PC directly to the motherboard as these give the ma needed
3. bfgminer drivers are also in there post so might be worth using them
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:48:37 PM

I've done all of that already.

I have 2 of these hubs. 1 is running 8 block Erupters with no problem. They are 12v and 4000 Milli-amps

Only problems I'm having are getting Bitfury usb miners to work, so as far as I am concerned, from my experience of them so far, they aren't worth a tinkers damn.

Are there any particular port settings that should be changed to make them work? Or am I just being extremely unlucky or what? Or am I right and these things are just a con job to get suckers to part with lots of cash?
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:33:58 PM

BFGMiner 3.6.0 comes up with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Again, the little Icarus (Erupters) work fine.
RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:38:59 PM

the only other thing i can suggest is to try cgminer and use the zadig tool to change the drivers
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:49:28 PM

I've put the zadig tool on but have no idea what to do with it.

Is there a thread explaining what to do?
RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:59:49 PM

open it up then click
"options"
"list all Devices"
a drop down list should appear
select the bitfury miner and click replace driver
it should then replace the driver and use a winUSB driver
unplug the miner and plug it back in and it should now be ready for use with cgminer
if the latest cgminer dosnt work then it might be worth try version 3.5
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:08:57 PM

Having done that the Red Fury devices I got today come up with no driver found for atmega32U2 DFU devices.

RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:17:38 PM

without looking and seeing whats going on i cant really help much more the only other thing i can suggest is trying to run the zadig tool as administrator by right clicking and run as administrator
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

I'm getting sick of this already.

These units are supposed to be plug and play but all that is happening is that it is going from bad to worse.

Are the people who make these units available on here? If so can I have their member names so I can contact them directly?
RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:27:23 PM

i dont know if the designers are around on here, dosnt really help as most of them are designed by people or 2 or 3. if your in the UK i might buy them off you though Cheesy
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:31:28 PM

Depends on whether you're willing to pay what I've shelled out for them. I'm not losing money on these units. I'm seriously sick of the bloody thing already. Amazing how they "work" for everyone else but nothing is working for me.

Again, gotten Windows to see them again after using zadig to reinstall the winusb and the wcid driver but bitminter and bfgminer don't see em.

Is there a link for CGminer?
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182

The General

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:33:27 PM

Wow really, I thought they were plug and play as well?!?!? I didn't know it would be difficult to set up at all

RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:35:39 PM

sorry maybe i should have metiond that zadig tool is for use with cgminer only it wont work with bitminter or bfgminer
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/

the latest one is 3.8.2 and its near the bottom of the page
if you dont get it working you can install teamviewer and ill have a crack at it for you via remote desktop
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:37:36 PM

If anyone lives in North London and wants to make a trip over to me and earn £20 for their trouble to help me get these working then I think I'm going to give up with it because this, frankly, is bull****

Avast free won't let me download CGminer - it is seeing it as a trojan. I wonder why....
RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:39:50 PM

avast free sucks balls
as i said install teamviewer.com and im happy to have a crack at it via remote desktop and simply uninstall teamviewer after im done

also no cgminer is a virus its just ended up in viruses so people can mine on compromised computers
Ragdollcatman (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:45:04 PM

KK, teamviewer is installed.

Will be amazingly grateful if you're able to get these things to work on my machine. Especially if it means the rest of the sticks I've ordered will then work. So far I'm waiting for another 3 Bitfury miners (the 2 I sent back for replacement + 1 more) and 2 nano fury usb miners.

The last Block Erupter turned up today as well. 9 of those = plenty as they're not so great.
RW02

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:53:10 PM

ok run teamviewer and it should come up with a number xxx xxx xxx
and a password pm me the details and ill log on shortly
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: