Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:51:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: increase fee after sending?  (Read 632 times)
pysiak (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:40:29 PM

Hi,

I've sent some BTC with a low fee and it's taking days to process.
blockchain.info says 9 hours, queue place 1900 or something, but it's like that for a few days and it's changing from low to high but not a single confirmation I get: https://blockchain.info/tx/c071df1ff752cdcdd86c8291339b6ae45049820bed4577f4c25b64b2937eb7b4

Is there a way to bump the txfee after sending or is this BTC basically in limbo for ever because there's always somebody with a higher fee?

Kinda silly, isn't it?

I think very old transactions should be getting a slight bump based on their age. It's not means to workaround fees, but to allow the system to resolve this kind of backlog.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:50:20 PM

Hi,

I've sent some BTC with a low fee and it's taking days to process.
blockchain.info says 9 hours, queue place 1900 or something, but it's like that for a few days and it's changing from low to high but not a single confirmation I get: https://blockchain.info/tx/c071df1ff752cdcdd86c8291339b6ae45049820bed4577f4c25b64b2937eb7b4

Is there a way to bump the txfee after sending or is this BTC basically in limbo for ever because there's always somebody with a higher fee?

Kinda silly, isn't it?
There is no possibility to add fees, but you could doublespend them, afaik it's not easy to do that though.

I think very old transactions should be getting a slight bump based on their age. It's not means to workaround fees, but to allow the system to resolve this kind of backlog.

Actually they do get a slight bump on priority , depending on their age and other factors like amount of Btc and transaction size in kb.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 12:56:02 PM

I've sent some BTC with a low fee..
0.0000001 is not a low fee, it is an invalid fee that will cause your transaction to be immediately discarded by any nodes or miners receiving it. You will need to remove the record of this transaction being sent from your own wallet to restore the balance shown to you, and then switch to a wallet that doesn't let you do silly things.
pysiak (OP)

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:26:22 PM

0.0000001 is not a low fee, it is an invalid fee that will cause your transaction to be immediately discarded by any nodes or miners receiving it. You will need to remove the record of this transaction being sent from your own wallet to restore the balance shown to you, and then switch to a wallet that doesn't let you do silly things.
Hm, what's the criteria for validity?
It doesn't look discarded as blockchain.info sees it. Anyway, how do I remove the record of this transaction from wallet?

The wallet I'm using is bitcoind.
oser41eric

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:35:57 PM

It doesn't look discarded as blockchain.info sees it. Anyway, how do I remove the record of this transaction from wallet?

It seems your input is very old so you could send the tx practically without fee. You may wait few days just in case it gets added to blockchain

If you hurry next time, 0.0001 is minimum fee
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:39:16 PM

Either send with 0 fee or the standard fee, anything in between seems only to delay your transaction significantly.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:22:15 PM

A transaction requires a minimum fee of 0.0001 BTC per KB if the priority of the transaction is below 57M.
The priority calculation is based on coin amount you are sending and the time they've been in your wallet.
The baseline is 1 BTC requires 1 day before sending without fee is valid.
The smaller the amount, the longer the time, I investigated your coins a bit and it looked like they were just received.

Wait, I've type all this before, maybe I'll just answer with previous posts
:
A transaction sending 0.4 BTC with 100 confirmations is not high enough priority to send with no fee.

priority = sum(input_value_in_base_units * input_age)/size_in_bytes

((0.4 * 100,000,000) * 100) / 258 = 15,503,875

Transactions need to have a priority above 57,600,000 to avoid the enforced limit. I would recommend ANY payment include a fee even if it would qualify to be free, as "free transaction" space in blocks is limited, and profit-motivated miners have no incentive to include free transactions over those with fees.

It doesn't look discarded as blockchain.info sees it.
:
The blockchain.info client captures transaction info even when other Bitcoin clients might ignore it. If you create a junk transaction that nobody will relay, they'll still show it if it gets to them and put a 'double spend' alert even on the one that is valid.

It's discarded now.

Anyway, how do I remove the record of this transaction from wallet?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232979.0

Fees are required in most cases, it is part of the design of Bitcoin to compensate miners for the work they do making it cryptographically difficult to attack the blockchain. If you sent without fees, then you would have used an altered client that doesn't comply with the fee rules, and you get to eat your humble pie.
The optional fee in Bitcoin-Qt should be set to 0.0001 per/KB instead of 0, so all transactions have the minimum fee, if you don't want miners pushing back free ones for more profitable transactions.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:25:36 PM

Either send with 0 fee or the standard fee, anything in between seems only to delay your transaction significantly.

That is not true.  The user's low fee is treated as zero by miners so it is pointless but it doesn't make it worse than 0 fee.  There is no point in paying a fee less than 0.1 mBTC because the code used by miners to prioritize txs treats those as free.  So 0 BTC or 9,999 Satoshis or 1 Satoshi are in the exact same category.  

The issue is there is a massive backlog of free txs.  User deleting the tx and paying no fee puts him in the same situation.

So either:
a) delete the existing tx and create a new one which pays a fee of 0.1 mBTC (or higher but that really isn't necessary).
b) simply wait the tx will eventually confirm (could be hours more, days more, maybe weeks more).

Free tx should be considered charity.  Anything below the 0.1 mBTC threshold is considered free by miners.
fildza

Activity: 322

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:31:30 PM

Cant see it. It said no transaction found

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
caiomsbr

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

BlockChain.info my wallet seems to be preventing users to send BTCs without fees..  even in customized send.. IF you try 0 fee.. It reports an error.. At least to me!
fildza

Activity: 322

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:46:01 PM

BlockChain.info my wallet seems to be preventing users to send BTCs without fees..  even in customized send.. IF you try 0 fee.. It reports an error.. At least to me!
If the wallet allow , you think how long your transaction will confirm ?

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: