Print  
Author Topic: PANIC!  (Read 6865 times)
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 08:00:48 PM

I'm going to go ahead and suggest that the crossover potentially signals a market bottom, just because we've been in a steady downtrend for two months and this is the first time that something has changed.
The difficulty and hash rate are on different scales in that graph. There is no "crossover".
But the scales are matched to where difficulty = estimated difficulty at X MH/s.

Nope, that's not what the other than red (difficulty) line means, the other 3 lines means "Computer power allocated" and that graph shows that many miners are leaving, nothing else.

(ultimately that may mean also that less coins will be generated, blocks will take longer to generate and therefore transactions will be slower to confirm)

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:39:05 PM

I'm going to go ahead and suggest that the crossover potentially signals a market bottom, just because we've been in a steady downtrend for two months and this is the first time that something has changed.
The difficulty and hash rate are on different scales in that graph. There is no "crossover".
But the scales are matched to where difficulty = estimated difficulty at X MH/s.

Nope, that's not what the other than red (difficulty) line means, the other 3 lines means "Computer power allocated" and that graph shows that many miners are leaving, nothing else.

(ultimately that may mean also that less coins will be generated, blocks will take longer to generate and therefore transactions will be slower to confirm)
Sorry, but you're wrong.

At the current difficulty rate (1888786), it would take about 13,520 GH/s to generate 7,200 bitcoins/day (which is the target).  Guess where that red difficulty line lines up on the GH/s scale to the left?

As you can see on the chart, I have extended the red line to hit the scale on the left, for easily visualizing the scenario.  I have also added tickmarks and counters for every 10 pixels on the graph.  Each segment of 5,000 GH/s is 92 pixels tall.

The line hits at pixel #66.  66/92 = 71.74% of the way up from 10,000 GH/s to 15,000 GH/s.  71.74% of 5,000 GH/s = 3,587 GH/s.  10,000 + 3,587 = 13,587 GH/s.  While that doesn't match exactly with my figure of 13,520 GH/s, one can only be so accurate with pixel math.  Tongue

So, like I said before, the scales are matched up on purpose.  If the total computing power starts to drop below the red line for a significant period of time, you can expect difficulty to be reduced accordingly.
kookiekrak

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:44:12 PM

SEE TITLE.

AT THE DISCO! (forgive me if i'm late)

FREE 100 GME if you post your Cryptsy TradeKey on the official GameCoinTalk forums

http://www.gamecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7.msg9#new
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:51:35 PM

So, like I said before, the scales are matched up on purpose.  If the total computing power starts to drop below the red line for a significant period of time, you can expect difficulty to be reduced accordingly.

No, you can never see the difficulty line go down, it just goes up. There's no way to make it "easier" to generate coins, in an ultimate scenario, if we have one single miner, he would be for sure getting his 50 coins... but would take ages before his block gets created. It doesn't rely on "a need for X coins to be generated per day".

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:54:19 PM

No, you can never see the difficulty line go down, it just goes up. There's no way to make it "easier" to generate coins, in an ultimate scenario, if we have one single miner, he would be for sure getting his 50 coins... but would take ages before his block gets created. It doesn't rely on "a need for X coins to be generated per day".
I don't think you understand how difficulty works.

If it takes more than 2 weeks to generate 2016 blocks, then the difficulty WILL decrease.  It's programmed into the client/node to do so.  We just haven't actually had that happen yet, so that's why you see no reduction in the "red line".
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:59:08 PM

I see, you're right Spike.
Less miners will bring difficulty down: http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php

|

|
JBDive

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 05:05:36 AM

Even with the price move back over 8 I show hash rate at 12.668 Thash/s and only 6740 BTC/day, 930 block remaining making the next difficulty change in 7 days or is my math way off?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 05:25:24 AM

Even with the price move back over 8 I show hash rate at 12.668 Thash/s and only 6740 BTC/day, 930 block remaining making the next difficulty change in 7 days or is my math way off?
Sounds about right.

Either way, this is excellent news for me.  It means that mining *should* remain profitable for me for quite some time, as other people seem to have higher variable costs than I do.  Especially in the winter, but even in the summer with A/C, as long as the price is over $7, I'm still making money.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 11:47:15 PM

bump lol

Be humble!
Minsc

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 01:57:48 AM

Either way, this is excellent news for me.  It means that mining *should* remain profitable for me for quite some time, as other people seem to have higher variable costs than I do.  Especially in the winter, but even in the summer with A/C, as long as the price is over $7, I'm still making money.

We need Australia in the market now because it's winter for them during our summers.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: