Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:02:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Need Help Compiling A Wallet For Debian  (Read 184 times)
hesdeadjim (OP)

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:09:03 PM

Because of a bug in debian and possibly other types of linux, i normally add this line  -  QMAKE_LFLAGS += -no-pie  -  to the .pro file in order to run the qt from the desktop instead of the terminal.

Since the typical .pro file is not available in the bitcoin source, i tried ading this line to the autogen.sh and config, ac on seperate builds and neither one worked.

I would welcome any suggestions that would piont me to a file to add this line to to make it work.

I am really not interested in 100 alternatives like run it from terminal or just use the generic linux wallet, etc. etc., but thanks anyway.

thank you.

Smiley

Awesome New Exchange  -  http://www.cryproquo.com/addcoin.html  -  Awesome New Exchange
Put  -  Referred By hesdeadjim  -  In The Box Marked Additional Notes And Receive 1/2 Off Listing Fees From 07/01/18  -  07/07/18

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 12:46:49 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 01:54:39 PM by mocacinno

Because of a bug in debian and possibly other types of linux, i normally add this line  -  QMAKE_LFLAGS += -no-pie  -  to the .pro file in order to run the qt from the desktop instead of the terminal.

Since the typical .pro file is not available in the bitcoin source, i tried ading this line to the autogen.sh and config, ac on seperate builds and neither one worked.

I would welcome any suggestions that would piont me to a file to add this line to to make it work.

I am really not interested in 100 alternatives like run it from terminal or just use the generic linux wallet, etc. etc., but thanks anyway.

thank you.

Smiley

Which bug?
I just did a testbuild on one of my machines (ubuntu 16.04 LTS):
Code:
git clone https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/
cd bitcoin
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
cd src
cd qt
./bitcoin-qt

At this very moment, i'm looking at the freshly compiled gui wallet, without having to modify any .pro-file...

If you really can't get it to work, maybe do a gitian build? I usually build using gitian, because i can also cross-compile for windows and/or mac... If you follow the procedure to the letter, it "never" fails (at least, it has never failed for me so far).

EDIT: seems like i missed the point you were trying to make... You're not saying you're unable to compile the qt wallet, you're saying you're unable to start it from your desktop...
Sorry, can't help you with that, none of the machines i can access from here have a window manager...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
starmyc

Activity: 198
Merit: 130

Some random software engineer

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 01:29:42 PM
Merited by achow101 (2), DarkStar_ (2)

Because of a bug in debian and possibly other types of linux, i normally add this line  -  QMAKE_LFLAGS += -no-pie  -  to the .pro file in order to run the qt from the desktop instead of the terminal.

-no-pie is a linker flag, so you can simply add it to the LDFLAGS while configuring:

Try this:

Code:
./autogen.sh
LDFLAGS=-no-pie ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb

The configure output should saw the -no-pie flag at the LDFLAGS line:

Code:
Options used to compile and link:
  with wallet   = yes
  with gui / qt = yes
    qt version  = 5
[...]
  CC            = /usr/bin/ccache gcc
  CFLAGS        = -g -O2
  CPPFLAGS      =  -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS
  CXX           = /usr/bin/ccache g++ -std=c++11
  CXXFLAGS      = -g -O2 -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wvla -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-implicit-fallthrough
  LDFLAGS       = -no-pie
  ARFLAGS       = cr

Then, build normally using make.

Hi, I'm just some random software engineer.
You can check my projects: Bitcoin & altcoin balances/addresses listing dumps: https://balances.crypto-nerdz.org/
hesdeadjim (OP)

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:38:52 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 09:33:54 PM by hesdeadjim

Because of a bug in debian and possibly other types of linux, i normally add this line  -  QMAKE_LFLAGS += -no-pie  -  to the .pro file in order to run the qt from the desktop instead of the terminal.

-no-pie is a linker flag, so you can simply add it to the LDFLAGS while configuring:

Try this:

Code:
./autogen.sh
LDFLAGS=-no-pie ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb

The configure output should saw the -no-pie flag at the LDFLAGS line:

Code:
Options used to compile and link:
  with wallet   = yes
  with gui / qt = yes
    qt version  = 5
[...]
  CC            = /usr/bin/ccache gcc
  CFLAGS        = -g -O2
  CPPFLAGS      =  -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS
  CXX           = /usr/bin/ccache g++ -std=c++11
  CXXFLAGS      = -g -O2 -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wvla -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-implicit-fallthrough
  LDFLAGS       = -no-pie
  ARFLAGS       = cr

Then, build normally using make.

Thanks Smiley

i will try that right now

* that totally worked. thanks again.

Smiley

Awesome New Exchange  -  http://www.cryproquo.com/addcoin.html  -  Awesome New Exchange
Put  -  Referred By hesdeadjim  -  In The Box Marked Additional Notes And Receive 1/2 Off Listing Fees From 07/01/18  -  07/07/18
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: