Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:20:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Paying Bitcoin funds into a pool, where others try to 'predict' deaths of high-profile individuals...
Legitimate tit-for-tat. Bad actors are kept in line and rightly punished. - 7 (13%)
Non-reversible transactions = runaway freight train of escalating violence. - 8 (14.8%)
The site operator is a deluded maniac. - 17 (31.5%)
The site operator is a fricken genius and/or hero. - 6 (11.1%)
This is not going to end well for Bitcoin. - 9 (16.7%)
It'll never catch on / flawed system (please explain...) - 7 (13%)
This will be good for Bitcoin and/or my political ideology because... (plz explain below) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: assassination market -- legitimate tit-for-tat as per the N.A.P., or coercion?  (Read 2685 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:40:20 PM

My opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2iiinNIl0

As they tightly strap me in, give me lethal injection
I've just a few moments to live, I've no remorse for what I did
It was for the benefit of man, I made the utmost sacrifice
Before more damage could be done I took his life

There was a split second of silence when the dart punctured the skin
Beady eyes rolled back in head, the body dropped from the poison
They could incapacitate me, but could not erase my sneer
I heard a thousand people screaming, while three billion others cheered
He was gone, and I would soon be

Executed by the state, all appeals would be in vain
I was not criminally insane, in fact I was found to be
An otherwise caring and respectable member of society
A minor threat except for that one man I killed

As the sedatives take effect, I just smile, close my eyes
There's a priest kneeling next to me, he asks me if I realize
I was going straight to hell, and he thought that I should know
That the man I killed's replacement planned this whole scenario
And what I did would had no significance at all.

Emphasis mine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hindsight

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:20:00 PM

The site operator is a deluded maniac.
The site operator is a fricken genius and/or hero.

Both statements could be true. If he actually pays the money to the killer(s) he is a maniac. If he doesn't, he is a hero. He would steal money from the killer and from people who wanted to pay to see someone dead. It will lead to big skepticism of people who actually uses assassination market, making it more likely people would not use it anymore. Then it would be a win-win situation.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:26:40 PM

The site operator is a deluded maniac.
The site operator is a fricken genius and/or hero.

Both statements could be true. If he actually pays the money to the killer(s) he is a maniac. If he doesn't, he is a hero. He would steal money from the killer and from people who wanted to pay to see someone dead. It will lead to big skepticism of people who actually uses assassination market, making it more likely people would not use it anymore. Then it would be a win-win situation.

Isn't the poor person who got killed sort of a loser here?  "Win win" but surely not for the actual person who is being killed?
blablahblah (OP)

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:23:53 AM

Look, there's a limit to the crap is ok to post in a bitcoin forum, just because somehow that so called "assassination market" operates in bitcoins.

Nuclear weapons are built with fiat. Should people start littering financial forums with WMD discussions?

I think it's important for Bitcoin users to have this conversation. As a new technology that enables lots of new things, Bitcoin and its users are under the spotlight. It's not like gun crime, where the inventors can't be blamed posthumously because they didn't foresee all of the problems with their inventions. Bitcoin development is still in progress, it's a group experiment, and maybe it can be steered in some way to improve the balance of good versus bad?

Even if it seems obvious to us that nothing practical can done to prevent some new crimes because any "cure" would be worse than the disease, we don't know that without discussing it. Every time we find out about some new downside, we should ask ourselves: is it still worth the trouble?

The online discussion itself is also important evidence for outsiders that proves that we're nice, caring humans who care about life and stuff, not just about money or getting rich.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:32:17 AM

Killing someone is just going to give them heaven earlier than you.  Your money would be better spent towards the actual physical manifestation of peace that I engage in.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:48:07 PM

The results are not what i suspected.
Well , isn't he a hero , giving power to the people? Cheesy

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:46:07 PM

Early results seem much less controversial than I predicted.

You predicted that Bitcoin users would be happy with killing innocent strangers?  Why?

Because "live and let live"? And it's free market expression. No government has stopped them.

Edit: and because the site claims to focus on big names that are guilty of something and above the law.

Previous discussions on these forums gave me the impression that a LOT of people are big fans of these sorts of free-market ideas where government is no longer necessary. I'm extremely sceptical about where this seems to be heading, but I was expecting at least a couple of An-Cap guys to suggest that it's the solution to a justice system without government.

E.g.: various kinds of crimes and punishments are determined by level of crowd-funding, and private contractors deliver retributive justice based on price.

Not sure if Anarchists are avoiding this conversation...

Chiming in as an an-capper. While there is a part of me that likes the idea, it is the vengeful and illogical part. It cannot work because it relies on a God figure. Without the site's leader's pledge to stick only to people who have actually done harm to society, it could easily be a corrupt catch-all murder-for-hire, and that's impossible to know or enforce. But that's just a practical matter of enforcing the site's own stated morality. It certainly doesn't actually abide by the NAP. It's a stretch of logic to apply it here.

Such an extension of the NAP would basically have to state, "anyone who is not actively against those who would coerce me is complicit in the coercion." This is a stretch even when there is direct proximity: The NAP would support the shooting of Kitty Genovese's rapist but not, traditionally, the observers who neither defend nor attack her. While I absolutely support the sentiment that one must consider that such acts are only possible when "good" onlookers do nothing, my NAP framework does not classify the onlooker as equal in guilt to the actual perpetrator.

This "Death Note" situation (anyone who hasn't seen that anime should -- get the Japanese version with English subs -- it's highly relevant) is one in which the observers are removed even further from the action. Politicians are vaguely aware of policies harming people at times, but even the worst of them generally think they're accomplishing good things that need doing. Maybe even Bernanke, who knows? He could be just a die-hard Keynesian. I cannot endorse assassinating fools for being fools, not at this stage in human evolution. It would also seem to me that by the same logical extension, everyone, every neighbor and friend, who has voted them in, or even those who didn't but simply have not armed themselves with pitchforks and begun the revolution, are also complicit. No, logically, the Assassination Market doesn't fit within the NAP at all.

That's not to say there aren't interesting arguments about "greater good" to be had, but, again, those always require a God substitute, and don't fit within the NAP. And like many things that come down to doing a "little bad" for the "greater good" to prevent larger "bad" -- the whole, burn a village to save it bit -- it is almost always a subconsciously lazy way of not continuing on searching for a path which is even less harmful. For example, after the markets crashed, we might have torched the fed, hung Bernanke, and every other banker we can find... but instead we have created this ecosystem around Bitcoin. We may be able to subvert their entire system, all without raising a finger. It may not always be that easy, but it is lazy to resort to violence by default.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
mackler

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:54:43 PM

It's the politics/society forum?

I realize I don't come on here much, but why is this not acceptable here?

aclockworkpeter

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:14:25 PM

I cannot believe that anyone would send bitcoins (thus implicating themselves in a crime) to have someone assassinated. Remember, bitcoins aren't untraceable, and the likelihood that that is "legitimate" is laughable. If you're going to throw away your money, donate it to this poor guy right here.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:26:43 PM

People in this forum disagree all day long about how to have a better society and more effective politics.

An assassination market doesn't fit into anyone's idea of a better society.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 08:32:15 PM

I'll tell you why it won't catch on, someone could place a bounty on the site for the site operator and then pay a bonus if they kill any extra staff and they wouldn't be able to run the site anymore after a simple DDOS attack. It would admittedly be pretty easy to pay somebody for an assassination in Bitcoin just because of how easy it is to stay anonymous, don't know why this site operator thinks they're clever by putting it up.
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:37:01 PM

What is "this"? This debate? It is, that's why we're having it here, in this subforum. The concept of a crypto-funded death note itself? That's what's being debated. Sorry, I'm not clear on what you're asking.

I cannot believe that anyone would send bitcoins (thus implicating themselves in a crime) to have someone assassinated. Remember, bitcoins aren't untraceable, and the likelihood that that is "legitimate" is laughable. If you're going to throw away your money, donate it to this poor guy right here.

Well, as we always say, Bitcoin is only as anonymous as the user makes it. Yeah, I could see someone making a really stupid choice that wasn't anonymous at all. I also have concerns that a stolen wallet traceable to an individual could be used as a setup. How's that for a way to get rid of the boss you hate who's always blathering about how rich Bitcoin made him? Access his wallet and fund the presidential hit order?

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:45:06 PM

I'll tell you why it won't catch on, someone could place a bounty on the site for the site operator and then pay a bonus if they kill any extra staff and they wouldn't be able to run the site anymore after a simple DDOS attack. It would admittedly be pretty easy to pay somebody for an assassination in Bitcoin just because of how easy it is to stay anonymous, don't know why this site operator thinks they're clever by putting it up.

I... don't even... what. How do you suppose that might work, exactly?

-Citizenfive
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 08:56:31 PM

Easy, just PM the people you see on the site or use a private chat Tongue needs to be encrypted of course.
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:26:17 PM

the most sophomoric idea ever
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: